• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
    Here;s the BULLET That Hanka Desired- - an actual pill made last nite - to his specs. Pointy - skin scratchingly sharp= .5mm too long on purpose!

Its's on the right- the middle unit is from last week...
    I think the new boat tail is a better shape, but I like last week's version better from the grooves to the tip.

If they're both made from a GMX, why does the latest version appear to have a different ogive? It looks to me like a TTSX.

Comment

• olde sarge
      Warrior
      • May 2014

stanc, that was my first impression as well.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

You have a keen sense - stan c, yes - over the course of a 9 month venture, between ROS , JAS & I-- we began noticing a frontal difference on the Gmx's he purchased, & the units that I had here from 1 yr. ago.. The latest version is the newest pill== fatso fronto ,I noticed it again while taking this pic- wondered if anyone with a good eye would see it?

I honed the fatso back to minimize the rifling contact area to Hanka's spec-- if the pills were reversed on all data- it would look better, & be perfect. Awesome call, Stan!

So , in the reality of bullet manufacturures stand points- all is fine- close enuff! THIS IS WHY WE MEASURE OUR DISTANCE TO LANDS JUMP ALWAYS ! Lot to lot changes Happen!

The blue dot upon fatso is the spec, that hanka asked me for=.5-1.0 mm from upper top groove towards tip=less is more-- we have the same ideas on this- BTW.
        That is the rifleing contact spot- enuff to help the stability. The older Gmx rifeling contact spot was 1/8" from the upper grooves upper edge-measured towards the tip..

Is vari reading this-wait,,, he doesn't read my posts- hee!

Make sense stan????

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Good call to you too Sarge, if you two can also notice the other difference,, I'll buy you a coldie!

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Waiting still, sarge.

hello?

Coldie only goes to stanc or Sarge if they answer my question , with the perfect answer., no wingin it stuff..

if stan wins- he may get a 1lb. of custom summer sausage from sneaky's kitchen, & smokehouse. Or some pills from Sneaks tweaks!

If Sarge gets it--- I'll send a voucher for a six pack of Hamms. hee
            Last edited by sneaky one; 10-17-2014, 04:04 AM.

Comment

• stanc
              Banned
              • Apr 2011

Good call to you too Sarge, if you two can also notice the other difference,, I'll buy you a coldie!
              The juncture between bullet and polymer tip looks a hair bigger in diameter. Is that "the other difference" you're talking about?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

Working with these I find myself being pulled, against my will, to lighter weights by my realization that these mono-metal bullets are so dang long. Somebody talk me back from the ledge! My design for a 100gr is 1.29", about as long as any 6.5mm 130gr lead core, and thus the 100gr H2LX still has a lot of tail sticking back into the powder column. I really don't want to lose my BC by leaving triple digits, but I can see an argument for a 95gr. Maybe, Gawd forbid, even as low as 90gr. I must realize, again, that the physics of ballistics allows muzzle velocity to overcome almost any BC deficit in the first 500 yards.

Oh, yes, while I'm thinking about it, I'd probably make the tip a hair smaller; no need to lose any more metal than we have to. See attached. . . .
                Attached Files
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Johnny, think 400yds. or less- it can all be scaled back a bit to look better as an on target- impact velocity standpoint. Bill A explained this to me years back- he asked me to look at the 95-105 class of pills. So that's where my focus has been., on all 6.5 pills. Think 1.05" pill designs, like my 95 gmx's- with a tip!

Always a spot here to adapt - grow into as far as comments -ideas go. Hop in gang.

We will figure it out- after we see the gel shoots.
                  Last edited by sneaky one; 10-17-2014, 04:30 AM.

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
                    Working with these I find myself being pulled, against my will, to lighter weights by my realization that these mono-metal bullets are so dang long. Somebody talk me back from the ledge!

ACCEPT NOTHING LESS!!!

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Stan, u must have way too much free time on your hands- no the mock up tip to bullet gap was not the answer----it was the indifference of the 2 bullets grooves - depths that are cut into them - check it- from the side angles . We can wait till winter, colder temps,,, bfore I send that summy to ya- I know ROS, already asked for a pkg. too !

Less wt. can be a good thing , 100 is not a perfect number. we have some cool data on gel shoots, speeds on lighter pills.. Ros- when are u to b back? Luli is the gel master.

Why am I always in a spot here, bad cell coverage on his end...

We are to chat this Sat.??, the text's just came thru, here ., Jas, ROS , L52, RS, JH, & I, will try the first ever 6 way cell call>!??? Anyone know how to pull this off?

We are to discuss the gmx wts., that I -we have looked at for a while.

Gel tests will show the best comments.

Nite- owls.
                      Last edited by sneaky one; 10-17-2014, 05:01 AM.

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

6 way calls are no biggie, do them fairly often with the kids. Start a call with one then add the others in.

Comment

• stanc
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2011

Stan, u must have way too much free time on your hands...
                          Heh, heh. That's an unavoidable consequence of being stuck in a nursing home. There's nothing to do but watch TV or fool around on the internet.
                          I NEED TO SHOOT SOMETHING!!!

(I could also use a cold brewski, too. )

Comment

• Bigfoot
                            Bloodstained
                            • Sep 2014

Put me down for a 80-90 gr based on the experience of Barnes excellent 80 gr TTSX in everything from the 250 Savage to the 257 Weatherby.

A 85 gr 6.5mm would have the same SD, but a much better BC.

Heck the 6.8 guys have not one but two 85 gr monos.

In .257 and 6.5mm 100 grain C&C bullets are standard fare. No need, heck even a detriment going that heavy in a mono. If a 100 TTSX can kill a cow elk (hope you're lurking Longdayjake) then we can, IMO should go lighter for faster killing on the game we're mostly after. BTW if I'm going after elk I'm shooting the 120 TTSX anyway.

Speed kills, and makes a flatter trajectory.
                            Last edited by Bigfoot; 10-18-2014, 06:08 PM. Reason: My error. The lighter .257 TTSX is 80 gr, not 85.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                              Heh, heh. That's an unavoidable consequence of being stuck in a nursing home. There's nothing to do but watch TV or fool around on the internet.
                              I NEED TO SHOOT SOMETHING!!!

(I could also use a cold brewski, too. )
                              PM your # to me, and I'll fax a 12 pack to you of your favorite suds.
                              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Joseph5
                                Warrior
                                • Oct 2012

Stanc,
                                ask your Dr. for an order for a beer with your supper! Every place I have worked as an RN except for In-Patient Behavioral Health (Psych) Units allowed alcohol as long as it wasn't in excess and there was a Doctors order for it. I have made a lot of cocktails as a nurse which is something the Nuns didn't cover in school :^)

Comment

Working...
                                X