• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • olde sarge
    Warrior
    • May 2014

Aeroshell 33ms

Having trouble sourcing Aeroshell 33ms in volumes less than 14 OZ. I have contacted Umbrella and they have none and couldn't give a date for restock. Any suggestions? I used the advanced search and PM'ed the only one I saw had some and will be a while to hear back from him. Thanks, John
    Last edited by olde sarge; 10-16-2014, 04:11 AM.
  • burkew23
    Warrior
    • May 2013

These guys have 1/4 oz tubes:

Comment

• olde sarge
      Warrior
      • May 2014

burkew23, thanks I just sent them an email and opened an account with them. Good find.
      John

Comment

• am4966
        Chieftain
        • Jul 2014

Links to various places, www.skygeek.com has 14oz for 16.00 keep a few oz's and sell the rest make your money back

12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
        Surge - Rugged Suppressor
        Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• olde sarge
          Warrior
          • May 2014

am4966, I thought about doing what you suggested but since I live nearly 30 miles from a post office and would be nearly impossible to find the containers decided against it. I think 1/2 ounce or so will last me a lifetime. I can only think of 3 other uppers I would have any interest in and that would do them I think. If I bought 14oz I would have to go into commercial production to use it up and at my age that is a pipe dream. Thanks, John

Comment

• cbe1962
            Warrior
            • Sep 2012

I still have plenty.
            I have acquired a 14oz tube of Aeroshell 33MS for a couple of builds. 33MS meets the mil-spec for barrel nut grease. Graphite-free is a good idea when aluminum & steel are in contact with each other. Since I have more than I will use in several lifetimes, I thought I would see if anyone here was interested in a smaller

Comment

• TacBlade
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2014

I'm in the dark here!!! What is this stuff for? Thanks!

I got it! I read the link above. I always used Teflon grease of some sort? I had never heard of this stuff? I need to read more, 3000 head of cattle keeps me way busy!

So what does this stuff do that other stuff does not? Thanks!
              Last edited by TacBlade; 10-16-2014, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• cbe1962
                Warrior
                • Sep 2012

AeroShell 33MS meets that mil-spec for the grease recommended by the military (I know that does not make it right, just FYI).

The relevant difference between AeroShell and a standard anti-seize grease is that AeroShell does not contain graphite. Graphite can cause problems under certain conditions. Graphite, aluminum and steel, combined with wet, salty and warm environments can accelerate corrosion and can make removal of the barrel very difficult.

Many home builders appear to use standard anti-seize and I have not seen many problems reported, probably due to not operating in harsh environment and not changing barrels often.

Comment

• montana
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

I have used anti-seize for years with out any problems. Recently I have started using Schaeffer moly EP synthetic grease since I have cases of it for my business and it has works superbly. It is a high heat resistant grease that makes torquing the barrel nut much easier compared to using anti-seize. http://www.schaefferoil.com/274-synthetic-grease.html It is also the best heavy equipment, vehicle grease I have ever used.

Comment

• olde sarge
                    Warrior
                    • May 2014

Well it looks like cbe1962 is going to fix me up with some of his spare AeroShell 33ms. Montana there are probably100+ greases that would work but I have invested a large amount of money to build a premium rifle and I can't see skimping on grease to save a few dollars and thinking the rest of the time I own it that I didn't build it to proper spec. Just me being anal as usual.
                    John

Comment

• montana
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

Their both moly greases and weather you would be skimping is up for debate. I don't skimp with my rifles and consider them premium builds that have served me well. Spending lots of money doesn't always mean a superior product. Trial and error has taught me a lot through the years but this is why I enjoy this forum. I have a lot of respect for many experienced G forum members but It doesn't mean I always agree, nor do I expect them to always agree with me. There are some important areas I will always go mil-spec and others I know I can improve upon. As far as you being anal I believe it would also described every member on this forum LOL. Good luck with your build and keep us updated on your progress.
                      Last edited by montana; 10-17-2014, 02:23 AM.

Comment

• m796rider
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2011

I use Aeroshell 33ms because it is milspec and because I love that it smells like every airplane hangar and museum I've even been in.

Comment

Working...
                        X