• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stiven
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2014

Couple of things before I assemble

All the misc. small parts have been ordered and will be here in hopefully under a week. I still do have a couple questions

Looking to rent some go/no gauges, Can't seem to find .264LBC gauges.

Ive assembled uppers before mostly just bang around guns nothing too serious with regards to accuracy. Ive seen people locktite the barrels in? Is that really necessary?

Any suggestions for triggers? this upper is going on a spare assembled lower i have sitting in the closet. Ive been looking at the RRA 2 stage triggers or the ALG triggers.

Oh and about stocks people use. I have a regular A2 stock on the lower right now, the cheek weld is alright. What do you guys suggest for more comfortable cheekweld?

Still dont know what scope i'm gonna get or what brake/flash hider.
  • CPT.CRAZY
    Warrior
    • Feb 2012

I tried the RRA trigger, spend the extra money and get the Giselle.
    sigpic

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

When we were able to get AA upper receivers they were very tight in the barrel extension but I would still bed them with blue loc-tite. This will remove any play between the barrel and upper receiver assembly. It is a very easy process. Other uppers I have used had excessive upper receiver and barrel fit play and was necessary to bed the barrels if I wanted any kind of accuracy. When I trued the ends of my AA uppers barrel extensions they were almost spot on but other brands of upper receivers needed a lot of truing. I prefer American gold or Geissele triggers. As far as stocks go I like the Magpul CTR and PRS. I match the stock to what I intend to use the rifle for. Target I would go with the PRS since weight wouldn't be a handicap. Ctr for hunting or a pack rifle since weight would be a problem Cheek weld comfort is relevant to your own physical structure.

Comment

• tango29
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2014

+1 on the geiselle

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Trigger completely depends on use. For tactical action guns, I like single stage triggers around 3-4 pounds. The ones I like the best are Alexander Arms and CMC. For target triggers and precision work, Geissele National Match two stage.

Comment

• Joseph5
            Warrior
            • Oct 2012

I used CMC trigger on mine and I really like it. The fit between my upper and barrel extension was loose even after getting reciever Cerakoted so I used Loctite and it seems to have worked. My rifle is very accurate. The Magpul MOE rifle stock is very comfortable. Wilson Combat makes nice accessories like handgaurds, scope mounts, and flash hiders that are reasonably priced.

Comment

• aclark
              Warrior
              • Dec 2011

I didn't need to loctite mine as the fit was SUPER tight between my Lilja and Aero upper. I actually had to heat the upper and cool the barrel, and still needed a tap or two from a rubber mallet.

I would probably go (and did) with a nicer trigger than the ALG. I used a CMC 3.5# Flat, and this thing is AMAZING. If you have the coin, the AR Gold is the PREMIERE trigger, but side by side, I'm not sure its worth it over the CMC, plus I like the flat trigger with the bottom nub to index off of. I haven't used the Geissele or Timney so I can't comment.

For stock it really comes down to intended use, as well as counter balance. I looked hard at the PRS for mine since I am mostly going bench/prone, but ended up with the CAA Tactical for a hell of a deal. On a carbine build I would have gone a completely different direction though.

Comment

• olde sarge
                Warrior
                • May 2014

Stiven, I'm sorry I don't have a set of go-no go gauges. I would like to suggest another trigger. I just put a Hiperfire Hipertouch 24E into my Grendel build and it is much better than the Timneys I have in several bolt actions and head to head comparable to the Jewell I have in my 260 Rem model 700. I am new to ARs so I don't have the experience most of the others responding do but I am sure liking this trigger.

Comment

• Stiven
                  Unwashed
                  • Aug 2014

Originally posted by olde sarge View Post
                  Stiven, I'm sorry I don't have a set of go-no go gauges. I would like to suggest another trigger. I just put a Hiperfire Hipertouch 24E into my Grendel build and it is much better than the Timneys I have in several bolt actions and head to head comparable to the Jewell I have in my 260 Rem model 700. I am new to ARs so I don't have the experience most of the others responding do but I am sure liking this trigger.
                  i can find 6.5grendel gauges for like 7$ to rent. i was only asking because the .264 is just slightly different. i guess from what ive found is it will be fine to use 6.5 gauges

Comment

• Joseph5
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2012

Stiven, the only difference between a 6.5 Grendel and the 264 LBC is in the throat design. The cases for the two and headspace measurements are the same so the gauges will work for either one.

Comment

• Stiven
                      Unwashed
                      • Aug 2014

did some google foo and figured it out.

thanks for the advice guys

Anyone have experience with the JP yellow springs? I dont have 200$ to drop on a Gis. trigger right now and I saw another member on here used the yellow spring and ive heard about them on other forums.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

The yellow hammer spring will work really well with the JP Speed Hammer. It will often give light strikes in cold weather on hard primers.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                        X