• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrazyD
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2014

First AR Build - 6.5 Grendel

First AR I've built myself and went with the 6.5 Grendel. Tried to stay as budget minded as I could. Got some good deals along the way online and at the LGS.

Here is the build list.

Anderson stripped lower
    CMMG LPK
    UTG buffer assembly
    Hogue Stock
    Hogue Grip
    ASC 10Rd Mag
    Bushmaster Stripped Upper
    Bushmaster m16 auto BCG
    BCM mod4 charging handle
    YHM Specter lightweight rail
    Anderson Low pro gas block
    CMMG gas tube
    18" 1:8 SS AR Stoner Barrel/Bolt from Midway
    AR Stoner flash hider
    AR Stoner 1 piece scope mount
    Nikon M308 4-16x42 BDC 800 (already had this)

Built it in a week, went out Saturday to the range and put about 30 rounds through it. Very impressed with the it so far. 100yrds shot a .836" 5 shot group. then at 200yrds I shot a steel pig with 5 shots 2 1-2 sec intervals, ringers on all 5. this was with factory hornady 123gr sst's.

Definitly want to upgrade the trigger to a Timney, Geiselle, or CMC to get a smoother pull. I think that combined with more trigger time will shrink those groups down even more.
    Attached Files
  • danm
    Warrior
    • Aug 2014

Nice, how do you like the Nikon?

Comment

• CrazyD
      Unwashed
      • Oct 2014

Love it out to 400yrds. Haven't used it past that since my local range is maxed at 400. I do eventually want to upgrade it to a vortex with a different reticle, but for now and for the hunting I do at less then 300 yards, it works really well.

Comment

• danm
        Warrior
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by CrazyD View Post
        Love it out to 400yrds. Haven't used it past that since my local range is maxed at 400. I do eventually want to upgrade it to a vortex with a different reticle, but for now and for the hunting I do at less then 300 yards, it works really well.
        Yeah I'm really liking my Viper PST but have only been out to 300yrds, need to get to the longer range that has a 550yrd plate...

Comment

• CrazyD
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2014

Yeah that's the one I been looking at. Probably wait till after the first of the year to drop anymore money on it haha.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

That's a nice little carbine you have there, and seems to shoot very well out of the pen.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
            X