• Show
Clear All
  • majbdrake
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2014

6.5 Highpower plans.

6,5 Grendel Highpower plans

New guy to the Grendel here.

My 20" barrel is en route from the dealer and should be here either tomorrow or Thursday (2 shipments from 2 different stores.) So I can build the rifle and get a zero prior to the next highpower rifle season in January.
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 10-22-2014, 07:21 PM.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Welcome. Do you have any ideas about a bullet weight range to settle on yet?
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• majbdrake
      Unwashed
      • Oct 2014

I'm thinking 90gr out to 300 and 107gr or 120gr for the 500/600 yard lines.

I also need to edit my previous post for some spelling and grammar issues. Always post messages before the Percocet and Flexerils kick in...

The barrel came today, bolt should be here by Thursday according to the UPS site.

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by majbdrake View Post

I also need to edit my previous post for some spelling and grammar issues. Always post messages before the Percocet and Flexerils kick in...

The barrel came today, bolt should be here by Thursday according to the UPS site.
        I dunno - I'd leave it. The heading was quite intriguing, albeit humorous, once I realized it was a fat fingered mashup. Still, it seemed a bit exotic at first blush.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by majbdrake View Post

MD:

Winds will throw your 90 grain bullet out the sides way too much for 300. Use 107's (if you can find a load that shoots them well in your rifle), or better yet, 120 Sierra's. Either will bring you on par with the obsolete 168 grain .308 load.

For 600 it won't matter. You won't get the velocity out of a Grendel to be competitive in winds at 600. So, use 123 Lapuas, 123 Match Kings, 107 Sierra's or 108 Lapuas. Any one where you can get as much velocity as possible while retaining accuracy of about 3/4 minute or less at 600. If you are a believer in the longer / heavier bullet theories, then go with a 140 Sierra.

I take it you will be using a bloop tube? You are putting yourself at a bigger disadvantage if your sight radius is only 20 inches in the Match Rifle Category. A six or eight inch bloop tube ought to get your sight radius far enough for you to have a much better experience.

Been there and done that. Grendel shoots fine in mild winds to 300 but if the winds switch directions and speed quickly on your ranges, don't expect to score real well. The Grendel is not very forgiving for wind changes compared to cartridges such as the 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Rem, the various 6mm chamberings, and Palma loads for the .308.

LR1955

Comment

• majbdrake
            Unwashed
            • Oct 2014

I'm planning on a 8" Bloop to extend my sight radius. The 6.5 Grendel lets me keep shooting without slipping back to my 223 loads. I had neck surgery 3 weeks ago today to replace a disk in my neck so the Doctors have told me to limit my heavy recoil shooting so no 308s or 30-06 until at least next year if I recover properly. I already own a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle and a 260 Remington rifle so the idea of using the 140s might be useable for 600 as I have a good number of the 140SMK and 120SMKs on the shelf above the presses. I was considering the 90s as a light recoiling load but 107gr might be a reasonable bullet to load for. OR, just stick with 120s across the board which is what I do with the 6.5Creed.

Bruce

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Welcome aboard!
              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• majbdrake
                Unwashed
                • Oct 2014

Thanks! And I see someone tweaked my thread title for better legibility

I was chatting on another forum on how to make and install the bloop tube so this week should be busy

Comment

Working...
                X