Not my first Grendel but it is my first complete build. I would like your opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChuckK
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2014

Not my first Grendel but it is my first complete build. I would like your opinions.

• montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

The Gen II SS 15" rail is one of my favorites but be sure to use green loctite on the outside of your barrel nut when assembling your hand guard or it could move forward under recoil. Do not over tighten or the hand guard nubs will break on the proprietary barrel nut. I never had any problem with my AA or Lilja barrels using the SLR Sentry 7 adj gas block with my MI Gen II SS 15" hand guards but another member did when his hand guard flexed and would hit the gas block. Be aware it is a close fit. The SLR hand guards are another favorite of mine and have plenty of room under the hand guard. I have Syrac and SLR "my favorite" adjustable gas blocks on all of my Grendel rifles.
    For dot sights I prefer the Aim point Micro H-1 or the T-1 if you are using night vision. The new T-2 comes with its own lens covers. The H-1 is less expensive and sits on many of my families rifles. They are not cheap but I will use no other. They are the lightest and fastest dot sight I have used that will be rugged enough for any situation. The battery life will last for 5 years on setting 7. I sold my Eotech sights after using my first Aim point micro. Others may disagree but this is my favorite dot sight. Good luck with your build

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

rifle.jpgIMG_0791[1].jpg

Here are two of my families hunting rifles , one is a 18" barrel and the other is an 16" barrel. Both have adjustable gas blocks and Gen II SS 15" hand guards.
      Last edited by montana; 10-22-2014, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Welcome back. What was your old handle? I was on the old forum as well.

I would also have you consider a carbon fiber handguard, which really helps in pointability and balance.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ChuckK
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2014

Thanks for the input, those rifles are sweet. I looked at those aimpoints, they are nice but I will have to save up for a while. They are proud of them! My old handle on this forum was Ez2plz. I did not post too often, just mainly gathered others insights on these rifles & the Grendel cartridge. I am excited about this build, I like the fact that the AR is so modular and you can buy parts a little at a time as the wallet allows. I am very impressed with my Saber upper, with the 100 gr nbt I am at 3\4 moa & the partitions at 1 moa. Plenty good to fill the freezer each year. I have considered a carbon fiber but I don't know enough about them to compare. Any other opinions would be welcome. Thanks for all the responses so far. It is good to be back!

Comment

• jurassic
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

I like the ALG Defense EMR handguard, they are light and smooth with the options to put picatinny rails on (included) and now have a version for Magpul's M-lok. The quality is fantastic for the price (I sold my Noveske NSR to buy one. They also come with outstanding instructions and the tools to install, including the wrench, and shims to get the torque on the barrel nut perfect. The M-lok versions start a $100 bucks! I'll post a picture of my rifle later on, but I have spent way too much money experimenting and looking for something perfect for a hunting rifle unless you want, or need a full top rail.

Comment

Working...
            X