• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trooper
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2014

ARES upper converts M4/M16 into a SAW

nice design. Their concept of multi mission weapon system is interesting.

MCR, SCR, HERRING LEVER ACTION, MXR, RAIDER AND BANDITO PISTOL
  • PrecisionFirearms
    Warrior
    • Apr 2011

I have one of these. Paid $6000 for it. I have not got it to work yet. Over 200 rounds through it and it jams in about every 15-20 rounds. Disgusted with it. Machine work is sub par and fit is poor. My kit has a second barrel with it. Has a burr on the chamber lead edge so large I can very easily see it and round get jammed about 30% into the chamber. It was bought about 14 months ago New.
    "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• Joseph5
      Warrior
      • Oct 2012

I have a friend who bought one of these. He just got it last spring after putting down his money 10 years previously! His worked and he bought it as an investment. He has already turned it into a nice profit.

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by PrecisionFirearms View Post
        I have one of these. Paid $6000 for it. I have not got it to work yet. Over 200 rounds through it and it jams in about every 15-20 rounds. Disgusted with it. Machine work is sub par and fit is poor. My kit has a second barrel with it. Has a burr on the chamber lead edge so large I can very easily see it and round get jammed about 30% into the chamber. It was bought about 14 months ago New.
        Sounds like you need to so them how to machine a LMG. Unfortunately I'd imagine the licenses to do so would be ridiculously expensive.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Mine cost a lot less. It took a decade to get it cheaper though...

Originally posted by PrecisionFirearms View Post
          Mine came with the 16" barrel, and I got two spare 12" barrels.

I'm guessing yours might have came with the cheesy Aluminum feed tray? I don't know exactly what happened, but things got pretty hinky down there for at least a while.

Did you run yours with magazines first? To break mine in I ran M855 in mags first, then swutched to links. It balked at the links initially, but it turned out to be because my links were all gritty (sand) and it just wasn't broke in enough. When new, the can be pretty picky about link tension.

I tumble my links a little bit (in rice) to get the crud off of them, then I turn them open face up and spray them with Hornady "One Shot" case lube. It makes a world of difference. They'll feed much better if you do that.

Mine seems to be made pretty well, and I'd love it---- if I didn't get mad remembering the lost decade wasted while waiting for it....

The older feed trays were the best (near as I can tell), and there's no excuse for them sending you a barrel with a burred chamber. You ought to get on their butt about that!
          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Trooper
            Unwashed
            • Oct 2014

Is the design concept acceptable? That we could use the M4/M16 lower to produce a SAW/IAR?

If FN-USA or HK were to make this, could it work?

Plus using this for other calibers such as 300 BLK or 6.5 Grendel?

Comment

• stanc
              Banned
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
              Is the design concept acceptable? That we could use the M4/M16 lower to produce a SAW/IAR?
              IIRC, SOCOM is currently seeking just such a weapon system. It may have been discussed in Tony's MG&A forum?
              If FN-USA or HK were to make this, could it work?

Plus using this for other calibers such as 300 BLK or 6.5 Grendel?
              The concept has been shown to work with 6.8 SPC:

The .300 BLK, 7.62x40 WT, and 5.45x39 should also be capable of working in the ARES gun, since Mk46 and M249 belt-feds have been converted to fire these rounds:

=====================================

If it can be adaptable to 6.5 Grendel depends entirely upon whether or not viable disintegrating links can be designed for the cartridge, a feat that sadly has yet to be demonstrated.
              Last edited by stanc; 10-25-2014, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X