65 Receiver Set with Polymer mags from PF (HOPEFULLY)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Well at least we know the 68 receiver would work with a modified mag.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Paul45LC
      Unwashed
      • Mar 2014

Originally posted by cory View Post
      Well at least we know the 68 receiver would work with a modified mag.
      Well at least we think the 68 receiver might work with a modified mag.
      I hate to rain on anybody's parade, but unless they secretly designed the 68 to really be a 65 and then modified it to take 6.8, it can't be stated with any certainty that it will in fact accept 6.5.
      Waiting for an AR in .45-70 with a 30 inch octagon barrel, case hardened receiver, and extra fancy walnut furniture. Until the day someone makes one, I guess 6.5mm Grendel will do nicely.

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Paul45LC View Post
        I hate to rain on anybody's parade, but unless they secretly designed the 68 to really be a 65 and then modified it to take 6.8, it can't be stated with any certainty that it will in fact accept 6.5.
        Concur.

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
          Measurements taken at the first rib from the top did not change at 1.0325 inches, before and after loading with 10, 20, and 28 rounds.

Taken at the rib between the second and third waffles, which is about midway, started at 1.0815 empty, increased to 1.0860 with 10 rounds, 1.0890 with 20 rounds, and 1.0990 with 28 rounds.

Unloading revealed that there is drag on the first 12-15 rounds, then they move freely. The mag ribs would have to be significantly moved to make it work.

This is a no go.
          Good info. I hereby award you six attaboys!
          Anyone need a Six8 mag?
          Try posting it for sale on 68forums?

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
            Good info. I hereby award you six attaboys!

Try posting it for sale on 68forums?
            No membership. they threw me out years ago when I asked what happened to one of the moderators that had disappeared.

Comment

• cory
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Paul45LC View Post
              Why would it not? The 68 receiver is merely an enlarged AR15 with all the same interchangeable parts, correct?

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

No membership. they threw me out years ago when I asked what happened to one of the moderators that had disappeared.
                Post it on arfcom? Word would probably make its way back to 68forums.

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Why would it not? The 68 receiver is merely an enlarged AR15 with all the same interchangeable parts, correct?
                  Because nothing is certain until it's actually tried and proven to work.

Comment

• cory
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                    Because nothing is certain until it's actually tried and proven to work.
                    The design world does not work this way Stanc. It's not longer 1875. The sciences are a little more mature.

Is there inherent risk involved in anything that hasn't been specifically tested, yes. That doesn't mean we can't make educated assumptions and move forward through analysis. If we were to test every single change as we go, then no R&D program would ever be affordable.

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

The design world does not work this way Stanc. It's not longer 1875. The sciences are a little more mature.

Is there inherent risk involved in anything that hasn't been specifically tested, yes. That doesn't mean we can't make educated assumptions and move forward through analysis. If we were to test every single change as we go, then no R&D program would ever be affordable.
                      But this assumption is still based on getting a modded mag, which is hundreds of thousands of dollars in expense. So it's a no go unless a big boy jumps in, and then the market remains very limited without a government level buy to help cover costs.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2011

Bwaites:

Please load that 68 Mag with 6.8 SPC and check the same measurements. If you don't have 6.8 Ammo, I will buy that mag so I can test it.

Mark Hostetter
                        "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by PrecisionFirearms View Post
                          Bwaites:

Please load that 68 Mag with 6.8 SPC and check the same measurements. If you don't have 6.8 Ammo, I will buy that mag so I can test it.

Mark Hostetter
                          Mark, it's yours for the asking! You've helped me so many times it's only a small token of my appreciation! Tell me where to send it!

Comment

• cory
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2012

But this assumption is still based on getting a modded mag, which is hundreds of thousands of dollars in expense. So it's a no go unless a big boy jumps in, and then the market remains very limited without a government level buy to help cover costs.
                            I think you're assuming just any company designs and builds the mag. I find it hard to believe that it'd cost Magpul (a company that specializes in polymer mags and accessories and releases newer gen pmags on almost a regular basis) anywhere near that much to develop a prototype and produce it on one of their current pmag lines.

Comment

• cory
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2012

Mark, it's yours for the asking! You've helped me so many times it's only a small token of my appreciation! Tell me where to send it!
                              Wait, but you promised it to me. HAHA

Looking forward to seeing the comparison with 6.8 ammo, Mark!!!

Comment

• bwaites
                                • Mar 2011

Wait, but you promised it to me. HAHA

Looking forward to seeing the comparison with 6.8 ammo, Mark!!!
                                You didn't say you wanted it!

Comment

Working...
                                X