• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SHORT-N-SASSY
    Warrior
    • Apr 2013

Unarmed Florida CCW Gun Owner, Unwelcome in Maryland

"The state of Florida might have codified his Second Amendment rights, but he knew he'd be passing through states where recent U.S. Supreme Court decisions affirming the rights of individuals to keep and bear arms have been met by hostile legislatures and local officials." (http://tbo.com/list/columns-tjackson...land-20140112/)

ETA: Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA) response to the Tampa Tribune article (http://www.facebook.com/TheMDTA/post...9?stream_ref=5)
    Last edited by SHORT-N-SASSY; 10-26-2014, 03:03 PM.
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Thanks for posting this.

I would have been insanely angry. I'm not sure I would have had the restraint to handle that as well as he did.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Ninety minutes later, or maybe it was two hours — “It felt like forever,” Kally says — no weapon found and their possessions repacked, the episode ended ... with the officer writing out a warning for speeding 71 mph in a 55 mph zone.

“All that time, he's humiliating me in front of my family, making me feel like a criminal,” John says. “I've never been to prison, never declared bankruptcy, I pay my taxes, support my 20 employees' families; I've never been in any kind of trouble.”

Face red, eyes shining, John pounds his knees. “And he wants to put me in jail. He wants to put me in jail. For no reason. He wants to take my wife and children away and put me in jail. In America, how does such a thing happen? ... And after all that, he didn't even write me a ticket.”

How does this happen in America, " It happens when people vote for the wrong people" plain and simple.

Comment

• tplace
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2014

Anyone know where this stands now? Was the officer ever disciplined?

Comment

• Kikn
          Warrior
          • Nov 2011

Originally posted by tplace View Post
          Anyone know where this stands now? Was the officer ever disciplined?
          Why would he be in trouble?

He is just a mindless drone following orders from politicians. He was doing their bidding, it's exactly what his superiors asked for.

The one that need to be held accountable for such travesties are the politicians that made the laws that put them both in that position. Politicians that make laws that are later deemed unconstitutional should be tried for treason. IMO

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Kikn View Post
            ....The one that need to be held accountable for such travesties are the politicians that made the laws that put them both in that position. Politicians that make laws that are later deemed unconstitutional should be tried for treason. IMO
            Agreed!!!
            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

In contrast to the case where the newly minted CCW license holder traveled into New Jersey a with her weapon in ignorance of their law, this person took the safe course and locked his up before traveling. That should have been the end of the story.

What concerns me is that a bunch of glorified Mall Cops, the MDTA, were so easily able to determine the driver was also a gun owner. Although the MDTA is being cagey about how they knew, it was likely his Conceal Carry license from Florida that they discovered. They have license plate readers, some are connected to Criminal Background Check programs and Permit/License Holder lists from the different states that will supply them with that information. This is troublesome enough, but even more troubling, it became a case of guilt before innocence, resulting in hyperbolic response by the mall cop (I mean MDTA) to summon backup and totally subject this family to state sponsored terror. It is also interesting to note that according to Maryland law, a driver is NOT required to inform an officer that they have a CCW license or are carrying a weapon during a traffic stop. (link)

So my question is this: Are we now to the point where the lawful exercise of our 2nd Amendment rights is now considered a threat, and reason to detain a citizen? On the face of it, this incident would appear to say so.
              Last edited by NugginFutz; 10-26-2014, 04:52 PM.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Slappy
                Warrior
                • Feb 2014

In Texas it is made available if your license is ran, if you are a CHL holder it is part of your license info. It is not on your DL but it does come up on the DL check. BANG BANG!!

Comment

• cory
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2012

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                  In contrast to the case where the newly minted CCW license holder traveled into New Jersey a with her weapon in ignorance of their law, this person took the safe course and locked his up before traveling. That should have been the end of the story...
                  I completely disagree! How is making your family and yourself a soft target the safe thing?
                  "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by cory View Post
                    I completely disagree! How is making your family and yourself a soft target the safe thing?
                    Cory - I wasn't really speaking toward personal safety. Perhaps a better choice of words would have been "he attempted to avoid any misunderstandings" while traveling through the eastern seaboard. He specifically said it wasn't worth the potential problems. Whether we agree with him or not, his actions were intended to specifically avoid this type of incident.
                    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Easy solution to this: Don't travel through enemy territory. It's the same response I have when people complain about their children being mistreated in public school or daycare. You know what those places are about, so why complain when they deliver?

In the meantime, we need to support the enforcement of the Constitution in States that have been taken over by imbeciles, since there are good people being violated there on a daily basis.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lamrith
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

This is a really old story, and MD is a complete nightmare with respect to gun laws as are many Eastern states (NJ, NY, MA) Just curious why it is being brought up again and stirring everyone up?

Driver could have diffused the situation before being asked to exit his vehicle by asking why he was being pulled over to begin with and what was probable cause for the stop. This cop had no probable cause or justification for the stop, and realizing they have someone that knows their rights can often alter the course of the interaction. Instead he went on a fishing expedition and got a nibble. Once he has the driver out of the car and then gets a non matching answer from the wife everything changes. (not that I agree with that, just saying it does)

Best thing though is to talk to our family members ahead of time and tell them to keep mouth shut and not offer guesses at anything when speaking with the police or anyone for that matter. If they do not know something for a fact, keep mouth shut. "I don't know" from the wife and it would not have escalated like it did. Her making a comment it could be in the vehicle gave the out of line officer the probable cause he needed to go gustapo. My wife and kids know that we do not speak to anyone about the fact that I carry, even a LEO. Those questions are for me and me only to answer.
                        Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
                        18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
                        SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
                        16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
                        Anderson Pistol lower:
                        16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
                        6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

When the British stopped American ships and searched them, then forced Americans to serve on their ships because they were still supposedly "British subjects" it caused the War of 1812.

Wonder how far we are from that?

Comment

• biodsl
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by lamrith View Post
                            This is a really old story, and MD is a complete nightmare with respect to gun laws as are many Eastern states (NJ, NY, MA) Just curious why it is being brought up again and stirring everyone up?

Driver could have diffused the situation before being asked to exit his vehicle by asking why he was being pulled over to begin with and what was probable cause for the stop. This cop had no probable cause or justification for the stop, and realizing they have someone that knows their rights can often alter the course of the interaction. Instead he went on a fishing expedition and got a nibble. Once he has the driver out of the car and then gets a non matching answer from the wife everything changes. (not that I agree with that, just saying it does)

Best thing though is to talk to our family members ahead of time and tell them to keep mouth shut and not offer guesses at anything when speaking with the police or anyone for that matter. If they do not know something for a fact, keep mouth shut. "I don't know" from the wife and it would not have escalated like it did. Her making a comment it could be in the vehicle gave the out of line officer the probable cause he needed to go gustapo. My wife and kids know that we do not speak to anyone about the fact that I carry, even a LEO. Those questions are for me and me only to answer.
                            Perhaps not all of us had heard this story before. I don't disagree with anything in your post. It's good advice. Let's not forget the most important point of this story; an over aggressive officer abusing his authority. It's not okay to pull a motorist without probable cause. An out-of-state license plate is not probable cause. Being a CCW holder is not probable cause. This 'transportation' cop needs to be held accountable for violating the rights of the citizen.
                            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• lamrith
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                              Perhaps not all of us had heard this story before. I don't disagree with anything in your post. It's good advice. Let's not forget the most important point of this story; an over aggressive officer abusing his authority. It's not okay to pull a motorist without probable cause. An out-of-state license plate is not probable cause. Being a CCW holder is not probable cause. This 'transportation' cop needs to be held accountable for violating the rights of the citizen.
                              I certainly don't disagree with anything in yours either. This Officer was most certainly well beyond his authority or any probable cause to have even pulled them over, let alone pull the driver out of the vehicle.
                              Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
                              18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
                              SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
                              16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
                              Anderson Pistol lower:
                              16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
                              6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

Working...
                              X