• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmsims21
    Warrior
    • Nov 2012

Quasi Custom Carbon Fiber Handguard

I mentioned my idea for a new style of Carbon Fiber Handguard on another thread, and some guys showed some interest.

I thought I would start a new thread to see if there is any interest in me making a limited run of these.

I had a CF HG with threaded rings glued into a carbon fiber tube. It was then threaded onto a free float barrel nut. A locking ring is then used to tighten and "time" the HG.
    The tube is only supported by .75" so it has a little flex. The locking ring also doesn't look the greatest. It works, but it can be better.

My idea is stronger and seamless, however, it requires the end user to do a little work.

Design:
    1. Standard Free Float Barrel Nut: Any make will do. Will need to standardize since each company has a slightly different thread on the OD.
    2. Aluminum Adapter: The OD matches the ID of the CF Tube. The ID of the adapter has threads to match the free float barrel nut. It also has an internal lip to tighten up against the barrel nut.
    3. 2" OD Carbon Fiber Tube - these can be purchased from a few places online in 6ft sections. The tube can be cut down to any length. The end could even be cut back at a 45deg angle or anything else to add style.

Installation:
    1. Assemble free float barrel nut per standard method.
    2. Tighten Al adapter onto the barrel nut hand tight or with a strap wrench.
    3. Slide the CF tube onto the adapter. Aligning any added rail sections or sling studs.
    4. Mark the tube and adapter for alignment.
    5. Take the adapter and tube back off of the rifle.
    6. Glue the adapter and tube together, taking care to line up the previously made marks.
    7. Let the glue dry.

Key points:
    1. The adapter supports about 2.5" of the CF tube.
    2. The lock ring is eliminated.
    3. The tube is perfectly centered around the barrel.
    4. The HG can be removed for work on the gas block.

FP CF HG 2.jpg
    FP CF HG 1.jpg
    FP CF HG 3.jpg

Standard end caps can be glued in the front end of the tube.
    FP CF HG 4.jpg
    www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device
  • dmsims21
    Warrior
    • Nov 2012

So...
    If 3 to 5 members are interested, I would be willing to make some. Price should be around $100 for bare bones. Length will make some difference, but not much. Finished length could be anywhere from nothing to 15" or more.
    Sling studs and rail sections could be added for the price of components, plus a little for my time. I think rail sections would be better since they would spread the stress out over a larger area. I need to think of a good way to glue/screw them on. Ideas are welcome.

The HGs can also be sprayed, KG Gun Koted, or Cerakoted. The CF tubes can handle 250deg.

I am not sure about adding vents. Either they would be time consuming to machine, or the fixturing would be expensive.

P.S. Everyone must remember that these will be quasi prototypes. They won't look like a preschooler made them, but they may not be as polished as some of the mass produced models. They will be cheaper and "custom". The adapter will also be "billet".

Post to the thread or PM me if you are interested.

Comment

• dmsims21
      Warrior
      • Nov 2012

Also:
      I am going to mention my idea to Rock Hollow Tactical. These will turn out better if they are involved since they have more experience.

Comment

• Sputnik
        Warrior
        • May 2013

So are you offering to do all the legwork for parts and labor? What would the approx. cost be for ~7, 9, 12, 15 inch versions etc? Stronger! Custom length? Cheaper? I bet there would be interest.

I see you answered some of my questions while I was typing. What would be the critical length measurements you need? For example, distance from front of receiver to gas block for non low profile gas block builds? Total desired length for those using low profile?
        Last edited by Sputnik; 10-28-2014, 03:37 AM.

Comment

• dmsims21
          Warrior
          • Nov 2012

I am willing to do the legwork and labor. I would like a deposit of some sort. Let me look into the pricing some more.

The only length I would need would be from the front of the receiver to the front or rear of the gas block. It can even go past a low pro gas block by several inches.
          My brother in law is going to have his extend past the end of the barrel a little so it will hide the transition to his suppressor.
          I really just need to know how long you want it from the front of the receiver (where the hole is for the gas tube).

The ID of the tube is at least 1.85" so most low pro gas blocks will fit under it.

Comment

• dmsims21
            Warrior
            • Nov 2012

Any interest?

Comment

Working...
            X