• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Best load for hunting 18" Barrel?

Dear All,

I'm interesting to hear your thoughts on what is the best performing load on flesh for an 18" barrel; lightest-weight 95gr or mid-weight?

I'm undecided between settling on something like a 95gr VMax's or a bit heavier like a 120Nosler BT or 123SST.

Medium size game, no particular range.
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

123 sst
    Drifter

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

I prefer Barnes bullest but the mid weights like the 123 SST would be my next choice. The Grendel reloading manuals cover this subject very well. If you don't have them they are worth purchasing if you plan on hunting with the Grendel. Lots of good info.

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

A lot will depend on how large the game is in the areas you plan to hunt.

Volume 2 of the Grendel Reloading Handbook suggest that 95 grain lead core bullets are on the edge for 130 lb animals with 100 grain bullets preferred.

There is plenty of evidence that this weight of lead core bullet does well in 6mm and 25 caliber cartridges for this size game. The 2800 fps muzzle velocity is within the functional range bullets of this light construction.

There is also good evidence to suggest that 120 grain and heavier lead core bullet are good for up to 330 lb animals.

Alternatively, the 95 gr GS Custom bullet should work on animals weighing as much as 650 lb.
        Last edited by JASmith; 10-30-2014, 01:14 AM.
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

But, as the future may change all of our bullet choices=lead free being the first- I chose the 95 GMX, long ago as an alternative to the 120 class of lead based pills.

I have not been disappointed at all , by a performance comparison- between the two wts. I would keep the animal wt. to 350, instead of 650 tho.
          Never shot a Gs Custom pill yet, Maybe JaS can send a couple here?

Comment

• 65Whelen
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

I've developed my loads for whitetail at a short to mid-range distance.

So far I've got one pet loads I'm real happy with, 129 SST & 25.9g of 8208.

I'm also using the 123 SST & 31.0g of CFE-223 with average results, still working to find a pet load for the 123. Once I use up the 129s I have on hand I will be going to the 123 just because I have a bunch of them to use up.

For whitetail both the 129 & 123 SSTs are a good choices.

Comment

• tackdriver
              Warrior
              • Feb 2013

You might want to try the 129's w/CFE, I I'm betting that adds enough velocity to add 100 yds to your max effective range

Comment

• rebelsoul
                Warrior
                • Jan 2014

I will be using factory 123sst in a twenty inch tube for small Bama whitetail. I was satisfied with 123sst performance last year and thanks to cory I have plenty in my stockpile. It is a fragile round at close range so watch the acute angle shots (hat tip to PA Allen for giving me a good tutorial).
                "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

• PA_Allen
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

123 SST or 120 NBT with 27 to 28 gr of 8208.
                  100 TTSX with 29 to 30 gr of 8208 or H335.
                  Any of these will likely do what your wanting.
                  Best,
                  PA

(PS thanks Reb)

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Thanks guys, there are a few choices.

Nothing over 200lb so the heavier projies are out.

Comment

• Blacklab
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2012

I have a few different bullet weights on the shelf. My hunting bullet is 123 sst 28.3 8208 2.250 450 cci. Haven't put it in real life testing. On paper it's a keeper and with all the reviews I have read. I have no worries about their performance. Still I'm waiting patiently to have a review of my own............ Darn deer just aren't cooperating. lol

GL
                      Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........

Comment

Working...
                      X