• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan_Backslide
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2014

Hello from Minnesota

Hi guys. I've been lurking for a short while here trying to absorb a bunch of information. While I don't have my 6.5 Grendel upper yet, I should have it in about four weeks yet. In the mean time I'm getting a lot of things ready for when it's finally here.

Right now I'm planning on reloading for this, since I reload for everything else I own. I've already bought the two reloading handbooks that I picked up through ar15buildbox.com, but I'm probably going to be popping over to the reloading section to ask a few questions since I'm not finding exactly what I'm looking for.

I pulled the trigger on this upper because I decided I wanted something really nice for once, and I was going to do some coyote hunting in North Dakota this winter. And I'm going to be trying to find a load that's fur friendly too. I'd rather not put two holes in them, especially if one is potentially the size of a softball. I've honestly never really been hunting before, but a friend of mine has been talking about us hunting coyote with his uncle for a little while here so I figured I should at least give it a try.

Anyways I'll hopefully have a good time here. Thanks guys.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. What are you specifically looking for that you're not finding?
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Welcome! Nice fur on North Dakota 'yotes!

Best option to save fur is use a solid, small pass through holes, instead of big ones. DONT use Bergers, I shot a good size male with a Berger 100 a couple summers ago and it looked like he had a zipper on the back side that was opened on impact!

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome in. What part of the state do live in?

Next Sat. is our deer opener.

Comment

• Dan_Backslide
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2014

Well I've been seeing mixed information. I know small bullets will be the way to go, but I've been told go with really light weight hollow points in a high velocity load, and the 6.5 reloading handbook talks about using FMJs. Like I've said before I'd prefer it if I don't blow out the side of the coyote because the intention is to keep the fur as intact as possible. So essentially I'm trying to figure out if using a hollow point will end with results I don't want. In all honesty I'd prefer to just have one small hole in the animal. But my knowledge is lacking when it comes to bullet performance on animals, especially of this size. So that's what I'm trying to find out.

I'm actually in the north east St. Paul area. I'm also not really all that interested in deer season this year, mainly because most of the state is buck only limit one , and because I've got a relative down in Iowa that raises black angus and I've still got most of a side of beef in my freezer.

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

There are two schools of thought:

1) Use a varmint type bullet, say a varmint grenade or 95 grain Hornady Vmax counting on them to make a small entry and come apart inside, causing massive trauma, and hopefully not exit. Some guys swear by this approach, but you run the risk of ruining fur if it passes through, especially on smaller dogs. When it works, you get one small entry hole. When it doesn't, you have massive backside trauma

2) Use an FMJ or mono metal bullet that has minimal expansion and passes through. This leaves two very small holes that are easily concealed by the fur. Most old time trappers went this route. I use mono metals myself, after having several pelts really damaged by Vmax bullets.

Comment

• Dan_Backslide
              Unwashed
              • Oct 2014

So do you know of a comparison between the two methods? I'm sure that the second method will work, but if it was possible I'd prefer results like method one.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

The Varmint Grenade is fine,, yet the new kid on the block is the Lehigh brass `Chaos pill, in 95 grns. It should not leave the body. As an alternative choice.

We are soon to be testing a few lighter wts. on this pill. Lots' of goodies happening behind the scenes/.. It's all chaos for now. There is also, Dynamic Research Technologies ammo.

Powdered tin, pressed into a copper thin jacket, lite wt.'s, high speeds. nasty results. I load these into my 9mm mags. 85 grns. each.

Might be best for a No Pass thru pill.

Comment

• Dan_Backslide
                  Unwashed
                  • Oct 2014

Do you happen to have any links to any more information? Or maybe even to some product pages?

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

My ooops, DRT does not appear to have .264 bullets yet.

Lehigh has the controlled fracturing bullet-the Chaos. Still having issues on computer here. Check Lehighs product list- premium bullets.

Lehigh Defense, LLC. - A leading manufacturer of top quality bullets.

Getting better here... I may try these pills in a 95 gn. loading, just need a lubricity difference from copper to brass.

Also to add to bwaites's thought- you can always backward load a 95 Vmax- if range is not too far to minimize Full explosions in critter.

no semi auto function, yet it does work..

Maybe you could lead the way on wimp Buffer springs experimentes for back loading charges., So the semi function may still be working,, hmmmm.

We would need a FEW springs-could be fun. Maybe the ultimate lite wt. carrier? Anyone have one ?

You live 15 min. from me, pm me dude.

Sorry for the long run, just glad that more Mn. guys are GRENDELERIZING IT UP !!!!!

( The Loyal Brotherhood of The Grendelerizers, I throw it out as a candidate for our cool name . S1.)

Bill A. should be proud that he had a 10 year following! Especially for 7-8 yrs. w/ no SAMMI Certification . Nice job Bill A.!! Thank you !

Havin fun here, deer camp is this Saturday.

Tools & I could help out. Anyone else?
                    Last edited by sneaky one; 11-02-2014, 09:12 PM.

Comment

• Dan_Backslide
                      Unwashed
                      • Oct 2014

You know what, I'm definitely going to be sending you a PM. My biggest problem right now though is I don't have my upper just yet. Hopefully it'll be done in the next couple weeks here. But it could be as far away as the end of December which is pretty depressing. I'm pretty sure I might be able to point you in the direction of some light weight carriers and so on, but it's honestly a bit out of my reach for an experiment in terms of cost.

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Welcome aboard!
                        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• olde sarge
                          Warrior
                          • May 2014

welcome

Comment

Working...
                          X