• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Captk
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2014

Gas block questions

This is the last part I need to order for my build. I have one of the brownells 24" barrels. I am looking at the Syrac adjustable gas block. Any advantage to the clamp vs set screw blocks? I was also looking at the JP adjustable gas block as well as the SLR. I had issues with the previous Grendel I owned and never did get it to function correctly before I sold it, which is why I decided to go with an adjustable gas block.

Ken
    Last edited by Captk; 11-02-2014, 07:14 PM.
  • Slappy
    Warrior
    • Feb 2014

What length was your other barrel that you had?? BANG BANG

Comment

• Captk
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2014

The previous Grendel had a 20" barrel. The guy I bought it from told me about the problems with it. Never got it to shoot without FTE, cases sticking in chamber. There was a long thread on here about it.

Here is a link: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ighlight=Tubbs

The Syrac clamp style gas block is on back order, the set screw type is in stock.
      Last edited by Captk; 11-02-2014, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• Slappy
        Warrior
        • Feb 2014

PM sent your way BANG BANG!!

Comment

• Slappy
          Warrior
          • Feb 2014

From what I have read some people prefer the clamp ons others the set screw ones. Clamp on they say do not mess with the harmonics as bad?? I do not know, My 18" shoots straight and is a set screw and non adjustable, and on my 24" I am changing my adjustable one out and putting on a regular low pro to see if there is a difference. My deal is keep it simple, adjustable ones are one more thing to mess with and something that could go wrong. Just my thoughts. BANG BANG!!

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

Personally I like the SLR adjustable clamp on gas blocks much better. That being said, I wouldn't think you'd need an adjustable on a 24" pipe. Except, maybe, if you plan to shoot suppressed.

Then again with these unknown manufacturer barrels it's better safe than sorry.
            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Captk
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2014

I'll try the non adjustable gas block and if needed I'll order the Syrac. I'm still learning. No worries about shooting suppressed in NY.

Thanks!
              Ken

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

An adjustable gas block will only work if your rifle is over gassed because of the port size or the powder type being used. Most malfunctions on a new build are not caused by over gassing but by poor assembly, inferior parts or assembling with the wrong parts. If your rifles gas port is too small no adjustable gas block will help. My AA 18" Grendel barrel came with the gas port over sized. At first I thought it wasn't getting enough gas since the shot casing wouldn't even eject out of the upper receiver and when it did it wouldn't pick up another cartridge. I adjusted my front sight "non adj gas block" so the gas port was not alined square with the gas port thus sizing down the gas port. To my surprise the rifle functioned. If the rifle is over gassed the BCG will cycle so fast it will not pick up or eject the casing which is what happened to me. I also had a 5.56 Bushmaster barrel that came with a small gas port which would function with only spec 5.56 ammo but would not function with lighter American eagle or HS ammo.
                I like adjustable gas blocks because I can fine tune most ammo with any of my rifles. If your barrels port is too small you must only use ammo that is proven to be reliable with that port. Adjustable gas blocks work great for fine tuning loads and preventing excessive recoil or as in my case fixing a over sized gas port. Both the Syrac or the SLR "my favorite" gas blocks have worked perfectly with my builds. I have both the screw type and the clamp on gas blocks and both have worked flawlessly but I will only use the clamp on SLR for my future builds if space under the hand guard is not a problem.
                The adjustable gas key maybe another alternative to the adjustable gas block and cheaper.
                Last edited by montana; 11-02-2014, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• Captk
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2014

Thanks for that info. I'll go with the non adjustable gas block for now. If I have issues, I'll be posting again.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                  X