• Sep 2014

Center of scope to center of note looks like 2.25 to 2.5 inches

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by hydrotech View Post
        Center of scope to center of note looks like 2.25 to 2.5 inches
        OMG! Don't you know that the 1/4 inch difference may mean the difference of six or seven yards in danger space at 300 yards?

If you want a 300 zero, measure 300 yards and shoot. If you think that most likely your game will appear at 200, then zero at 200.

Or, not as precise if you were shooting field mice, you can zero six inches high at 100 yards, which will give you something close enough to a 300 zero for you to still kill your game without an issue.

And, less precise but still good enough for you to kill your game. Zero it about half to an inch low at 25 yards.

There is very little difference in trajectory (ordinate) between most centerfire rifle cartridges given a 300 yard zero.

And, a difference of 1/4 inch in sight height is more than accounted for with variations in your shooting ability, range estimation, ammo accuracy, etc, given a 300 zero.

So, have confidence you have a very good zero and focus on your hunt and enjoying yourself!

LR1955
        Last edited by LR1955; 11-07-2014, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• hydrotech
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

thanks!

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by hydrotech View Post
            thanks!
            Excellent!

One thing I forgot to mention about these short range zeros is to pay attention to windage. Sometimes we would use a simple plumb bob and draw a verticle line through the middle of our aiming point so we can make sure we have a good windage zero. It is very easy to get caught up in noting your shots are theoretically the right distance above or below your aim point for a certain zero and ignore where your shots are for windage. So, keep in mind both if you choose this route of zeroing.

And do understand that I am also screwing around a bit with my OCD buddy, LRP52.

LR55

Comment

• JASmith
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2014

The last few posts made my morning!

I think there is one other thing we may have failed to touch on. Do a lot of informal shooting if you can.

Regardless of your initial choice of zero, you will fairy soon discover you either really like the set-up, or that you want to make some adjustments in the zero. Do the shots on paper, it is way too easy to alibi when plinking at field mice.
              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

Working...
              X