• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lexx
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

Looking for list of barrel manufacturers

Hello, does anybody have a comprehensive list of barrel and bolt manufacturers? I am looking on the Internet but there are not too many options.

Thank you for your help!

Alex
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Can you be more specific? With barrel extensions and headspaced ('drop-in's') or manufacturers of barrel blanks only?

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

There was a running thread with a comprehensive list some time ago. IMHO the only names you need to know for barrels are Precision Firearms, Lilja, JP, and AA. For bolts, it's PF, Maxim Firearms, and AA. I think there's another for bolts, but can't remember their name.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Lexx
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2014

I am looking for a barrel bolt combination. I am not a gun smith so I don't know how exactly to check if the bolt matches the barrel. I checked a couple web sites and there are head space tools out there but they were for 223. Are there special head space tools for 6.5 barrels? Sorry about all those questions.

Comment

• tackdriver
          Warrior
          • Feb 2013

If you buy a bolt/barrel combo new you should have no problem. I think Midway occasionally gets Shilen combos that are serialized w/matched #'s. AA barrels are highly recommend, as are Lilja and PF. The other option is to buy a bolt and send it to who ever chambers a blank for you. If you you go this route I would suggest Apache gun works to do your chambering. I have no affiliation but have been very pleased with my purchases from him so far. I happen to know he already is set up for grendel and will beat all the big name shops on schedule and $$$.

Comment

• Lexx
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2014

Where would you buy a Alexander Arms (AA) barrel and bolt combo? His website only has complete uppers.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

AA no longer has barrel/bolt assemblies.

As someone new to assembly, you might consider this type of deal. You may ask about other barrel availability, too. You get a barrel/bolt combo which are properly head spaced, plus with the "melt" done on the extension, etc.

I put a little 6.5 Grendel Starter Kit together that is a great way to get into this cartridge. The kit includes: New Brownell's 18" MLGS Stainless Barrel/bolt combo * Blended and polished feed ramps to help with feeding and reducing brass wear * Headspaced Correct Grendel bolt * Radiused ejector for optimal

Comment

• keystone183
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by cory View Post
                  There was a running thread with a comprehensive list some time ago. IMHO the only names you need to know for barrels are Precision Firearms, Lilja, JP, and AA. For bolts, it's PF, Maxim Firearms, and AA. I think there's another for bolts, but can't remember their name.
                  Underground Tactical. Been a while since they had any, i believe. My memory is fuzzy, but they may be maxim bolts???? Not for sure on that.

type 2, type II, 7.62 x 39 bolt, .136" bolt face, 6.5 grendel bolt, 6.5 grendel, 264 lbc, 264lbc

Comment

• TacBlade
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jul 2014

A moderate just put up a nice starter kit with a Brownells barrel and bolt

Comment

• hydrotech
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

Id also like to have a list of only manufacturers who sell barrel bolt combinations and prices. As well as reviews. I would like to get another barrel bolt combo at the best quality for the money. Does Lilja have combos? I was looking at their site a while back and thought it was only barrels.

Comment

• cory
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2012

Yes it's only a barrel. They advise that you purchase a bolt from Maxim Firearms.
                        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• hydrotech
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2014

I'm no gunsmith but seems to me, to make sure a bolt is headspaced properly, the barrel and bolt should be checked for proper specs together, hence my desire for a barrel / bolt combo. Is it fine to assume that a barrel from a manufacturer will properly headspace with every bolt from their recommended bolt supplier? Id rather not make that assumption and have the barrel and bolt checked together and sold together....or am i worrying to much and being over cautious?

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by hydrotech View Post
                            I'm no gunsmith but seems to me, to make sure a bolt is headspaced properly, the barrel and bolt should be checked for proper specs together, hence my desire for a barrel / bolt combo. Is it fine to assume that a barrel from a manufacturer will properly headspace with every bolt from their recommended bolt supplier? Id rather not make that assumption and have the barrel and bolt checked together and sold together....or am i worrying to much and being over cautious?
                            If you are not 100% comfortable checking headspace, your approach is entirely appropriate. But there is no CHEAP way to get what you want. If you go with Precision Firearms you are guaranteed a great barrel/bolt combo.

Comment

• Slappy
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2014

X2 on above!! Along with no worries!! BANG BANG!!

Comment

Working...
                              X