X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lakeray
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

Excuse me, I don't mean to hijack the thread. I have about 5,000 CCI BR4 primers. Most of the loads I've seen have CCI 450 primers. I only have about 800 of those left and I've been saving them for loading up my SCAR 16. Will I be handicapping my loads by using the BR4 instead of the 450's?

TIA,
    Ray

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

I can't imagine it would, Ray. Just be sure to work your load up with the BR4's as a precaution and so you know your load. If you see any mentionable loss of MV, I would be surprised. Lots of loaders are very successful using Remington 7 1/2's, BR4's, Wolf and other non-magnum primers.

As far as availability goes, I saw the 450's at Sportsman's Cathouse just today, so you should be able to acquire more, if you want to stay with them.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
        That's not a good look. You are crushing the cup. That means the anvil may be sitting skewed and not receiving a proper strike.
        If the primers are creasing, like the one seen in the .45 picture, could that not also result in cup failure? I'd consider a more careful, less aggressive seating approach and see if that eliminates the primer cup failures.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
          I can't imagine it would, Ray. Just be sure to work your load up with the BR4's as a precaution and so you know your load. If you see any mentionable loss of MV, I would be surprised. Lots of loaders are very successful using Remington 7 1/2's, BR4's, Wolf and other non-magnum primers.

As far as availability goes, I saw the 450's at Sportsman's Cathouse just today, so you should be able to acquire more, if you want to stay with them.

I agree, BR4's have been used by a lot of people with very good results. They have the same cup thickness as the 450's. (Some people say they are simply 450's rebranded, but I've heard dissent on that, too!) There is an argument that they are 450's that have been more rigidly QC'd for tighter dimension control.

Comment

• Tearlach61
            Unwashed
            • Nov 2014

Yea, I am testing the theory. I am loading 10 with very gently seated TulAmmo primers, 10 more with very gently seated CCI 400s and I am going to do about 25 with CCI 450s. I want to do a 10 shot string at 30.2 and 30.5 BLC2. What I am hoping to see with the CCI 450s is maybe more consistencies with the velocities.

I noticed that the cci 450 are definitely more robust. When they seat it you feel the resistance. The other two I find it's very easy to squish them in the priming tool.

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Which priming installation setup are you using?
              Last edited by sneaky one; 11-21-2014, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• Tearlach61
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2014

Hornady Hand priming tool.

Comment

• Tearlach61
                  Unwashed
                  • Nov 2014

Well went to the range today with 3 sets of 10 cartridges. All three loaded with 30.2 gr BLC2, 123 Amaxes loaded to OAL 2.27. One set with Tullammo KVB223 primers, one set with CCI400 standard small rifle primers and one set with CCI450 small magnum.

The first shot out of the tullammo primer string again had a pierced primer. I am done with those primers for this cartridge. I went through a box full of 223 cases that had been loaded with those primers and there were no pierced primers. I don't know what the deal it, but it is what it is.

Next I shot 10 rounds with CCI400 primers. 10 rounds went into 1.2" with some nice clusters. Average velocity 2378, ES 21, SD 6.8.

I then shot the 10 rounds with CCI 450s. The group was a more open 1.65" with no real clusters. Velocities were more erratic, 2355 fps, ES 37, SD 10.

Weather was about 35F, distance from muzzle was about 10 to 15 feet (we have covered shooting benches, you have to put the chrono out there a ways to get some light, I spend a considerable amount of time just making sure it is aligned on the target).

So happy with the accuracy, velocity is a little disappointing but this will be my walking around load for the time being: 123 Amax, 30.2 gr of BLC2, CCI 400s loaded to 2.27". Once I find some more CFE 223, I will probably jump over to that. I was getting up in the low 2500s with that with slightly tighter groups.

image (6).jpgimage (5).jpg

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Look at your firing pin tip carefully, as piercing primers can have ill effects on it, namely pitting on the pin head, which can lead to more pierced primers.

I've seen it happen with firing pins that have too much protrusion, since the bolts for them weren't designed correctly. If you make an AR15 bolt with a .136" face depth, you need to add ten thousandths to the bolt tail to control protrusion. As such, 6.5 Grendel bolts should measure 2.810" in length if they have the .136" bolt face depth, if you plan to use a standard AR15 firing pin.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Tearlach61
                      Unwashed
                      • Nov 2014

The pierced primer occurred on the edge, not at the firing pin, see the picture I posted 11/15, just like that.
                      Last edited by Tearlach61; 11-23-2014, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X