• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sal.p
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2014

3 yr old hunting

thinking of taking my son deer hunting but he is only 3. Its my first time going but I am going with a very experienced person what ya think is that to early.
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by sal.p View Post
    thinking of taking my son deer hunting but he is only 3. Its my first time going but I am going with a very experienced person what ya think is that to early.
    If this is your first time hunting I would leave him at home so you can focus on what you need to focus on. I would give you a resounding no for an answer.

Comment

• am4966
      Chieftain
      • Jul 2014

I took my son his first time with me he was about 4-5 and he sat with me in the blind. Did a pretty good job of listening to what I needed him to do too!
      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• sal.p
        Unwashed
        • Nov 2014

nice thans for rply and reason I want to take him I only see him about twice a year we live in different states. so trying to make as many moments as I can with him

Comment

• Slappy
          Warrior
          • Feb 2014

Hate to be a fly in the ointment but,,,, don't go deer hunting!! Simple, plenty of deer out there they are not going anywhere. BANG BANG!!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

At three, he won't remember hunting and he won't be hunting. You will be babysitting in a stand. If you are hunting, you won't be making memories with him so much as you will be hunting with him as an aside.

I understand you only see him a couple of times a year, but telling him to be quiet and sit still for hours at a time isn't building memories.

If you do take him out, then be a responsible adult and get him some hearing protection.
            Kill a hog. Save the planet.
            My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I wouldn't even consider it under the circumstances that you have mentioned.
              Drifter

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

I absolutely would not take a child that young.

Keep in mind too, if the child ruins everybody elses hunt you may never be invited back.
                Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

I was taken hunting at that age and I took my children at that age. However, hunting has been a way of life for my family for generations.

Under your circumstances, I would spend the time with your son doing something you can focus all your attention on him. Go on your hunt by yourself and be a knowledge sponge. Get a few trips under your belt and your son a few more years mature then take him with you.

I commend you for wanting to take him. The more people exposed to it the better it is for all sportsmen.
                  NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• JASmith
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                    ...I commend you for wanting to take him. The more people exposed to it the better it is for all sportsmen.
                    At the same time, the exposure needs to be positive and confidence building. I know from my own experience that getting a good learning experience for your children demands that you already be comfortable with what you are doing. That confidence allows you to exercise patience and flexibility when his or her attention wanders or the little one discovers an alternative way to do something.
                    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Butterbean
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2012

Don't do it.
                      Lifetime: NRA, GOA, 2AF

Comment

Working...
                      X