• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EPeterson
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

New Grendel

image.jpg
    Here's my new Grendel. Bought a new basic AA upper on gunbroker and slapped a lower and scope on it. First range session and it ran like a piece of crap. No bho, wouldn't even strip another round from the mag using factory hornady. Didn't really bother me since I was going to free float the barrel and use a low profile gb. Once I did free float it , I still had cycling issues with hornady ammo, but it runs flawlessly with my reloads using 30.5gr of cfe. Accuracy is good, about an an inch with factory ammo and a bit tighter with reloads. 5 shot groups.
    Factory rounds do cycle well with my can though. I mainly bought the ammo for the brass. It's cheaper to buy loaded ammo then it is to load from new components!
    Specs

Factory AA upper
    Troy rail and irons
    AAC 51t fh
    Bobro mount
    Leupold mark ar 4-12
    Noveske lower w/geiselle trigger
  • Butterbean
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

Hello & welcome to the Horde. Good to see you sorting it out. Don't forget to introduce yourself..
    Lifetime: NRA, GOA, 2AF

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Welcome, what recoil buffer are you using? It should run with Hornady factory ammo.

Comment

• EPeterson
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2014

I was using a ST2. I'm going to be switching to a carbine buffer here shortly. My hunch is that its a gas issue, whether its the gas block alignment or something wrong with the carrier.

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

The ST-2 buffer is heavier than the H2 buffer which uses powder rather than steel weights. I would try a lighter buffer if you have a friend who has another AR and see if it improves your Hornady factory ammo functioning problem. It may have a gas problem but this could be a quick fix if it isn't. Good luck!

Comment

• danm
            Warrior
            • Aug 2014

Nice looking rifle, hope your cycling issues get resolved.

Comment

• Fredman
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

I take it it does not have an adj. gas block. I would load one round, shoot it and see if the bolt locks open.

Comment

• EPeterson
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2014

I did the one round test repeatedly. Here's the weird thing, after I readjusted my low pro, I got 8 straight bho. After that, I didn't get any bho with factory Hornady. I continued to get a bho with my reloads though. I checked my gb and it seems snug. Not sure whats going on with the factory rounds, I don't care to much since my reloads run better and more accurately. I'll check once more tomorrow. I put a carbine buffer in and cleaned/lubed the rifle.

Comment

• Lexx
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2014

I had the same problem with my 223 and it was weak loads with a new powder that I tried. Factory ammo should work though. If you find the problem to be the gas block or buffer and it now works, reconsider the loads you make. They might be a little bit on the "closer to max" side after the problem is fixed.

Just my 2c.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X