• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Carpe Carnivora - Coyote and Bobcat Down

Hunted at TBR, a buddy's place where I help with hog (primarily) and predator control. Even before I arrived, temps had already dropped down to below the predicted low for the night and it wasn't even dark yet! Walking out to the stand, I could feel the tiny ice crystals falling from the sky and figured it was going to be a chilly night. Fortunately, Mr. TBR had gotten the heaters back in the stands and so long as the windows were not open, I wasn't shivering. Of course the problem was that if the windows weren't open everything was getting wet from condensation. So things were chilly and a bit damp.

Deer were all over the place. The fawns frolicking a full speed back and forth across the pasture and around groves of trees. I saw more deer in the first couple of hours than I usually see during the course of a whole evening. Then the deer disappeared and nothing happened for an hour or so.

At that point, I spied a coyote working the far tree line. By the time I got my rifle up, she had cut into the woods on a trail. I whistled and barked at her and she turned around but did not come back toward me. I shot her and she went down and then I heard the buzz buzz of the recorder saying it was about to start recording, LOL. Timing is everything. So I did not include the video of the blob on the ground.

The shot entered the right front shoulder and exited the left rear shoulder. She was down but lifting her head and a second shot finished her.

About an hour after that, I spied a bobcat working inside the tree line, appearing and disappearing between the trees and other foliage. As I was getting my rifle up, she stopped and smelled the blood of the downed coyote (now dragged away) and turned and headed into the woods. I used a wounded/distressed rabbit squeal and coaxed her back out to the tree line where I shot her. The shot entered the right chest/neck area and she was DRT.

Both kills were within a yard of one another at about 120 yards. I was shooting my 6.5 Grendel and using an Armasight Zeus 3 640. As seen in the video, the cat was taken when zoomed to 2x, giving a simulated 6x magnification.

It was 24 degrees by that time and I figured it was a good time to head home before the roads got too bad. The drive was pretty squirrelly for the first 20 miles or so, but then things dried out.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Kikn
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

Very Nice

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Congrats. Any plans to have the cat done up by the taxidermist?
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

No, unfortunately not. I don't shoot them at my place and my wife and kids would kill me if I brought home the pelt. They are fine with dead hogs and coyotes, but kitties are apparently sacred.

Comment

• rebelsoul
          Warrior
          • Jan 2014

Nice cat!
          "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

• Adam Lilja
            Warrior
            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
            No, unfortunately not. I don't shoot them at my place and my wife and kids would kill me if I brought home the pelt. They are fine with dead hogs and coyotes, but kitties are apparently sacred.
            The hides good for a good penny

Comment

• hydrotech
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

man i wish i had some night vision stuff! that was really cool! jealous!

Comment

• jawbone
                Warrior
                • Jan 2012

great hunt, and with a story/vid, 00Spy. well done, Sir. great looking shooter, too, complete with a Secret Squirrel patch!

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
                  Warrior
                  • May 2011

How bad was the damage to the cat?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

There was about a finger-sized exit behind the shoulder. I don't think the bullet had enough time to do much in the way of expanding.

Comment

Working...
                    X