• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

How to Butcher a Pig

This is one of the most informative videos I have seen lately. I enjoy being able to learn from someone who does this professionally, and takes a lot of pride in his art form/trade.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Dude, nice find! My electrical engineer pal in southern MN , helped develop the last run of Hormel, automated systems to run hogs thru @ high speed.. OMG!

He gets data from the sources- the best take that he sent me was== cool L-52 video find!... yet American pork is WAY Leaner than that stuff..

And the wild pigs would be too lean?

Awesome learning curve for deer guys too! This is still so fun. Man, those pork chops would sweat fat for an hour! Bill A type of dinner? BLUNT FORCE? ?????????? Blunt is now BFT. Keep it simple. Hanka, we miss you as a namesake , dude. The original - Grendelizer !!!!!!! And my inclusion of the Grrrr.

I'm not happy here , what could we change for the horde? Thoughts gang?
    Last edited by sneaky one; 11-20-2014, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• hydrotech
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

my family has been butchering hogs every February or march since I was a kid. Its a big deal. all my cousins and uncles and some old family friends show up. We did 10 hogs last year. We used to scald them and dehair them in a big vat with firewood under it and gut em. However we now take live hogs to a meat locker. They dispatch them, scald and dehair them, gut em, and cut them in half from snout to ahole. We pick them up and skin the rest. Last year we had 10 hogs between us all so its a big process. we skin them out Friday night and cut up fat into cubes to render lard and make cracklin's in a huge cast iron cauldron. Early Saturday morning we cut up the skinned hogs and trim them up, cut them into pork chops, pork steaks or boston butts, cut the bacons and jowl off to cure and slice, cut up the hams to cure and slice, cut up the ribs etc. while we enjoy some homemade wine and beers. Next all the scraps are gathered and weighed for each person and we get the sausage ground to make breakfast sausage or bratwurst and stuff em. I usually save all my scrap deer cuts in gallon bags and thaw them out at hog butchering time. I grind my deer and hog trimmings together and put it in 1 quart bags. I use the ground deer/pork in place of ground beef all year. We empty the cauldron of lard and cracklins and save it for fish frys. finally we get all the hog heads boiling in a huge cast iron cauldron. When all the meat falls off the head we scoop em out and separate bone and meat. the meat gets mixed up, seasoned and ground to make head Cheese YUMMY! I've also skinned and cleaned up a few wild hogs. I usually singe them with a blow torch prior to skinning because they have fleas so bad.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by hydrotech View Post
        my family has been butchering hogs every February or march since I was a kid. Its a big deal. all my cousins and uncles and some old family friends show up. We did 10 hogs last year. We used to scald them and dehair them in a big vat with firewood under it and gut em. However we now take live hogs to a meat locker. They dispatch them, scald and dehair them, gut em, and cut them in half from snout to ahole. We pick them up and skin the rest. Last year we had 10 hogs between us all so its a big process. we skin them out Friday night and cut up fat into cubes to render lard and make cracklin's in a huge cast iron cauldron. Early Saturday morning we cut up the skinned hogs and trim them up, cut them into pork chops, pork steaks or boston butts, cut the bacons and jowl off to cure and slice, cut up the hams to cure and slice, cut up the ribs etc. while we enjoy some homemade wine and beers. Next all the scraps are gathered and weighed for each person and we get the sausage ground to make breakfast sausage or bratwurst and stuff em. I usually save all my scrap deer cuts in gallon bags and thaw them out at hog butchering time. I grind my deer and hog trimmings together and put it in 1 quart bags. I use the ground deer/pork in place of ground beef all year. We empty the cauldron of lard and cracklins and save it for fish frys. finally we get all the hog heads boiling in a huge cast iron cauldron. When all the meat falls off the head we scoop em out and separate bone and meat. the meat gets mixed up, seasoned and ground to make head Cheese YUMMY! I've also skinned and cleaned up a few wild hogs. I usually singe them with a blow torch prior to skinning because they have fleas so bad.
        Boy, I would love to eat dinner at your place, you made me hungry

Comment

• jawbone
          Warrior
          • Jan 2012

fantastic and mouth watering link, LRRP.

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Yummy. HYDROTECH! Daddy like. An awesome mind opening experience idea.

Comment

• rebelsoul
              Warrior
              • Jan 2014

That guy is pretty good...much better if he had a southern accent.
              "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

• Kikn
                Warrior
                • Nov 2011

One of these days I'm going to get to watch more than the first few minutes of this video. I've started our like 5 or 6 times already since it's been posted.

Comment

• hydrotech
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

finally got to watch, he's skilled, we do some things the same, some different. cool to see how others do it.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

That's what interests me, how a pro who does it for work makes his first cuts, and maximizes the meat with no waste. I need to get a good recipe for making Polish sausage, as that's my favorite.

Good Polish sausage recipes are extremely popular with home sausage makers. Here is my collection of the best.

I think it's the smoked taste, combined with the pepper and garlic that I really like. I just don't like a lot of sausages out there compared to Kielbasa. I have to have it in place of hotdogs even, as they are nasty.

I can do some of the German Wurst's with kraut, as well as the Finnish makkara with hot mustard, which is common in both of those countries.

I like to mix cultures when I cook sausage, so I'll start with a kielbasa or Kosher sausage, slice them up, fry them with Lowry's and some other seasonings, then make Indian yellow curry for a sauce base. You can mix the curry into rice, or make a nice Asian brown rice with bits in it, then serve them all together. I have also tried topping this off with a fresh salsa, and it's surprisingly good.

You get European sausage, Southern US style seasoning, Indian curry, Asian rice, and Mexican salsa all one big happy family on your plate. Dang, I have to make that now. I haven't had it in years.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

This is how we do in in Finland with makkara, Finnish sausage.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Slappy
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2014

Everything from the rooter to the pooter!! BANG BANG!!

Comment

• keystone183
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by hydrotech View Post
                          Head cheese good....bluetwurst better.....

Communal pig butchering is one of the last remnants of visible Cajun culinary traditions. This Louisiana custom is also one of the only ways to experience the primal first taste of boudin noir, Cajun sausage mixed with rice and fresh pig's blood.

Comment

• Adam Lilja
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2013

I watched the one he has for deer and I realize that I waste a lot more than I thought

Comment

• sneaky one
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

L-52, I should send some of my Zummer sasauagges in 1 lb tubes - to you boys out west. No need to cook, its fine as is.

Stanc, ROS, JAS , have requested it- yet no funds showed up here for the dry ice, &, & , lotsa postage.

Makkara is same as Mn brats- kinda- pre cooked- just need to be re heated. The world we live in- gets smaller every day. Yumm.

Comment

Working...
                              X