• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoOne
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

Monthly Practical Rifle matches near Puget Sound

Upper Nisqually Sportsman's Club (near Eatonville, WA, they have a website) holds practical rifle matches on the first Saturday of each month. Ranges go out to around 550 yards, and are mostly steel. There are usually one or two courses on the 100 yard range where paper targets are some times used for cold bore type precision, and 4-6 stages on the 550 yard range.

Courses involve shooting from field type positions, using props such as barricades, doghouse, parapet, tank trap, roof top (forward and reverse), barricade with ports, swinging platform, or cramped positions. Some times they even throw in standards stages. Most courses of fire are 6-10 rounds, and bolt guns compete head to head against semi-autos.

This is just my personal view, but I think the Grendel is just about the perfect cartridge for this type of shooting. At 550 yards, it can be really hard to discern hits on steel with a 5.56 round, but the Grendel seems to hit steel with about 80% of the energy of a 308. The good part is that while the Grendel hits the plates hard, it lacks the recoil of the full sized rounds such as the 308, or 260 Remington. Whenever time is a factor in your score, the low recoil, excellent accuracy, and a semi-auto rifle can be a big help in matches like these.

Shooters are NOT required to be club members to shoot in the matches. Match fee is currently $20, all first time shooters at this club are required to attend a mandatory safety briefing/orientation. There is no cost for the safety brief/orientation, and it is offered at 08:30 AM, with the match starting at 10:00 AM.
  • Mountain Man
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

Wish I lived a bit closer. Is that range open all winter? Might be worth a vacation...
    "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF? I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Comment

• TheDroz66
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2013

Thanks for that info! I will have to try to make it over for a few of those.

Comment

• NoOne
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2014

We are still holding matches on the first saturday of each month. Entry fee is $20. You don't have to be a club member to shoot in the matches.

Comment

• danm
          Warrior
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by NoOne View Post
          We are still holding matches on the first saturday of each month. Entry fee is $20. You don't have to be a club member to shoot in the matches.
          That sounds fun!

Comment

• NoOne
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2014

Feel free to email, or PM me if you need more info. The course of fire is sent out 2-3 days before the match to everyone on the mailing list. If you want on the mailing list, send a short "put me on the mailing list" to practicalriflewa@gmail.com.

Comment

Working...
            X