X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hydrotech
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

interesting pics. I wish it stated what kind of bullet was used. ballistic tip or soft point

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

interesting pics. I wish it stated what kind of bullet was used. ballistic tip or soft point
      Yeah, sorry, that is part of the problem. The question posed about the concerns is fairly specific and so you want fairly specific answers, but I don't think anybody else with the time, research interest, and access to resources to do such a study has posed such a question and so ancillary radiographs and the like that are on the internet are usually not listed with the information that would be helpful to your query.
      Kill a hog. Save the planet.
      My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Mountain Man
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2014

There is another solution to this problem if you are just out to kill a fat meat doe, shoot it in the head or at the base of the skull. A solid shooting .22LR bolt-gun (Like the CZ American I use) with subsonic Aguila's is a great deer weapon, especially if you are hunting in a near-suburban area. I zero mine @ 50 yds and can get nice tight groups out to 75 yds or so. It's a bit more like bow hunting because you lose the range of a more powerful cartridge but it's a solid, instant, quiet, meat-saving kill.

There's no reason why you cant do this with a Grendel either. You know if you are a competent enough shooter to harvest deer with head shots. Not every hunter can ethically take head shots. It is a lot easier to hit a 8-12" kill zone near the vitals than a head shot, which is why most people choose to shoot deer behind the shoulder. If you miss the brain by 3-4" in couple of directions, it is a clean miss (you might pierce an ear). If you pop them in the jaw it is very painful to the animal and if you don't nick an artery, they are going to very slowly starve to death. SO DON"T TRY THIS IF YOU CAN"T SHOOT A 2" GROUP @ THE DISTANCE THE DEER IS.

Most full size deer have at least a 3.5" circle on the side of the head where it takes almost no energy to kill them. So really any gun that can shoot MOA can easily do head work out to almost 200 yds, if the shooter can. My .22 shooting subs is probably at or below 100 FT LBs at impact. Easily crashes through the first side of the skull and usually bounces around inside the halls of knowledge rather than exiting the skull. This is perfect, efficient use of a 38 gr projectile. The brain doesn't care about expansion either, so you can hunt with almost any bullet that you can accurately deliver.

If you do it right and shoot 'em before they know you are there, you will also get better meat from a CNS kill. The amount of adrenaline and other "Freak-out" hormones released when an animal is lung shot and continues to pump blood for 10-30 seconds really does taint meat. Most people think that is just how deer is supposed to taste, try shooting one in the head and prepare to be amazed at the tenderness. I cut meat for 4.5 years and we could tell when we got beef in that had been killed while scared. MUCH TOUGHER. Happy Deer make better meat, just like happy cows make better cheese.

I practice on fawn-sized head targets I made in MS Paint.

DSCF1662.jpg
        "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF? I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I'm not proud of this -I know a guy here in Mn., he had a doe eating from his birdfeeder-almost nightly, he thought he had a squirrel problem- until his new trail cam., spotted the problem.
          So, he stays up very late one night- he sees the doe at the feeder, his plan? Put a tin pba .177 cal. pellet thru the does ear- That will teach her !

Didn't want to lead her up!

Well he missed the ear, pellet went in near the eye- @ 1200fps., drops the doe dead--It's in June! His neighbor turns on the outdoor floodlites! He had a lot of bribing to do to get the nabe to not call the cops! Hee-hee!

I fully agree on head-spine -instant kill shots , MM. It does make for better eating.
          Last edited by sneaky one; 11-21-2014, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X