• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Barnes 127 LRX

Has anyone tried these bullets?

Since I can't seem to get my hands on any Nosler 129 Accubond LR's, I'm contemplating trying these in my bolt Grendel (with added benefit of all copper design).

Here is what Barnes says about LRX:

The LRX (Long Range X) bullets are flying out of here faster than we can make them. These are an optimized version of the Tipped TSX bullet and they have unique qualities that may make them better for you under a few circumstances.

An improved nose and boattail to be even more streamlined (higher BC value). This will again add to the distance you can shoot and still achieve bullet expansion. On top of that, we have lowered the minimum impact velocity to achieve expansion from 2000 fps (for most of the Tipped TSX calibers and weights) to 1600 fps for all of the LRX bullets. Again this will add about another 200 yds to your maximum effective range. In some larger cartridges this will allow the bullets to expand out to distances of 1000 yds or more.

What would be a good powder? CFE 223?...AA2520? (remember, thinking 57k psi for bolt gun).
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!
  • Kikn
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

I've seen them on the shelf and I pick them up and put them back every time. I done want to be the guinea pig. I'm not sure why sneaky one hasn't picked one of these up for his project or blunt force trauma.

Comment

• D.Davis
      Warrior
      • Sep 2013

I bought a box, have not shot them yet. Sneaky did turn some mine to 107gr.s to try. Maybe this week. Dave.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

D, D. should be there on Wed.- Alaska is a ways away dude. You will hopefully find a way! Ask Barnes of seating depths. 30-40k off- is cool.

Kikn- I've been on this since may-june timeframe. I was sent a bunch from Cali to tweak. Ask ROS - he is to blast them thru gel. He is as busy as I am. Patience is cool.....

Maybe the weather is too nice to worry about timeframes out west- I'm only joking here! Brrrr, cold here. All good takes time. busy, busy,,,

They are a bit heavy, 127's with, maybe not so reliable results at the 127 wt.... So we talked of 95-100== No, not turnable at all.
        105 is the lowest wt.- That's what I sent west & north- we shall see some results eventually.
        127 is a bit much for our beloved Grrr. Maybe at 50 ft. it will be fine...

Bjorn,,, talk to me! We can do a different type of try with a boltie=Sweet! Both are great powders- Brass is rated at 58 K - That's what was said thru L-52, thru Bill A ? Last year.

Anyway, I asked Von Gruff if he wanted a few samples- he declined for his boltie,,, He want;s to keep his NZ lifestyle, connected to a store nearby. Cool.

Let me know, as my hunt season is toast now, I'll need a small project to get me thru vinters ice.

Comment

• Kikn
          Warrior
          • Nov 2011

Lol..I thought you might have been on it. I glanced through the epic 100 page two part thread when it was hot. Got lazy and didn't look but was more than happy to name drop :-D

Comment

• Von Gruff
            Chieftain
            • Apr 2012

With my GM's 21" barrel I can push the 123gn bullet to 2700fps so there isn't the need for me to go with the lighter weights that you guys are all chasing. The 100gn ttsx went 2950fps so anything lighter than 107-110gn pushing 2900fps isn't really of any advantage over what is available now. The cost of the barnes is a factor though so till I shoot all the A Max's I have on hand there is no need to look at an alternative.
            http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
            Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Yes, we have more to show- just ain't gonna be anytime this week!
              A few of us are starting a new bizz up- so,, that's all I have-it takes forever to go thru the red tape- for a new adventure in a foreign country, or this usa--
              I have insider 6.5 info, get jealous as this is off kilter... haaaaaa haaaa .

The world is changing daily-weekly ... I am in silent trust mode here. Good things are coming online asap It may be a way past this winter deal .. before it's shown . Think spring.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Thanks for chiming in Von Gruff- I missed the type in spot. Too busy to keep current some weeks here.

Comment

• BjornF16
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

S1

I'm always "game"...I'm leaning towards the heavier 127 LRX vs 120 TTSX or 120 GMX since the LRX is advertised to open as low as 1600 fps. Even with slower mv's, this makes the LRX a longer range bullet compared to 120 TTSX.

A 115 LRX would be SWEEEET!

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Let's talk bro ! My hunt pal here= Blade- he is building a Grr in a boltie -- and has struggled on a certain wts. No shots yet for him ... waiting on me--

Let's do this - we can keep it as a minimalistic test.

Yes, the 105-115 grn. of LRX pills would fly truelly That was the old goals. I gootta run to the - OMG ! I'm out .1
                    Last edited by sneaky one; 11-25-2014, 12:59 AM.

Comment

• BjornF16
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                      Let's talk bro !
                      That was fast!...LOL...I kept hitting refresh 'cuz I thought my post didn't take...

Comment

• adamjp
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2014

I will soon have a box of these ACPs in hand to test out. They are recording excellent results locally and I intend to ask them to build a 110gn bullet for Grendel use.

Might not get anywhere, but the idea is sound.

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

adam, can you talk a bit more on these items- we are interested in what the sidewinder is- etc. The website is so cool.

If you can link me to the company, I can maybe come up with a something way cool. This is my side bizz, BTW.

Chime in more often, we need more friends like you on our side- thank you for being a fellow GRRRR fan!

Cooooooool beans! PM me.

Comment

• adamjp
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                            adam, can you talk a bit more on these items- we are interested in what the sidewinder is- etc. The website is so cool.

If you can link me to the company, I can maybe come up with a something way cool. This is my side bizz, BTW.

Chime in more often, we need more friends like you on our side- thank you for being a fellow GRRRR fan!

Cooooooool beans! PM me.
                            Sneaky, just contact them through their email system.

I have a box of 6.5mm and a box of 20 cal bullets coming my way and once I have tried them out will probably be ordering more. The 6.5mm 100 to 110gn weight will be perfect for a Grendel.

Guys I know who use them report exceptional results and their production method permits variation like a proposed 100gn 6.5mm bullet. Being far cheaper than the common 'US made' mono metal bullets helps, and inside 300m the bullet is made for killing first, flat trajectories second.

Comment

• BjornF16
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2011

Update: I could only fit 31.1 grains of CFE 223 into case (compressed) with 127 LRX loaded .030" off lands in my bolt "Grendel"...2450 fps was all I could manage. No real advantage to 127 LRX...

Since I don't have another 6.5mm gun, I guess I'll sell my remaining bullets (or send to sneaky one for a "custom bullet")...

Comment

Working...
                              X