• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shoprat
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2014

Looking for a general Consensus

What grain pills are you guys killing whitetails with???
    Looking into getting my oldest daughter a grendel barrel for her pro hunter. Going with a Match Grade Machine 26". Also with the grain size, looking for recomendations for twist rate, looks like I can get a 1-8 or a 1-9 as MGM's standard twist rates. Thanks guys
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Wow, for hunting I would not go over 18-20". Pain in the rear to carry that extra barrel! Most guys are using 123 grain Hornadys, 120 grain Ballistic Tips, or the 100 grain solids from Barnes.

Comment

• kbarnes12
      Warrior
      • Nov 2011

In my 20" I use Hornady 123 gr. SST, in my 16" I use 100 gr. Barnes TTSX.
      sigpic
      Guns kill people the same way forks make people fat.

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

Killed a few with 123 amax and a few with 123 sst. When i get more time to work up my reloads i will be using 100 nosler bt. I have taken dozens of deer with 100 gr pills from. 25-06.

And don't buy a long barrel for hunting. My 16" is a joy in a tree or in a box. My 20" with a brake, not so much. And it cost me a shot at a yote weekend before last. Couldnt get it out the window quick enough.
        Last edited by rabiddawg; 11-24-2014, 11:34 PM.
        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

shoprat- that's a lot of bbl . length for a gal to shoot from. If she's 6'5- maybe a diff. story...

As for hunting styles- table , or carrying the 26" around ? There is the compromise bbl. of 18-20- or 16-18" depends on hunt styles.

I have the 20" bull bbl., it's a bit too much for me in the forest, = too long, too heavy for my hunt style- yet awesome on a table- bipod, brake, sand bags , etc.

The 100-129 class work fine on whitetail, as far as stock avail. bullets go. Think distances- 100 ft.-500 yds. ? Lighter is best close in- lil heavier as the distance grows.

The monolithic pills change it all up tho..

Buy it as a combo bb. length idea , 1 bbl. for all your needs- so as to use all the common wts- that are avail. for the 6.5mm. 100-129 is best as cup & core bullets.

Try the bonded pills too= 100 grns.
          Last edited by sneaky one; 11-24-2014, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• PredatorDown
            Warrior
            • Jun 2014

I've got a 22" JP barreled upper that I built for long range coyotes, and wish I would have went with a 16-18".

I've killed several mule deer with 85gr Nosler Partitions out of my .243 and have been very pleased with the performance. I would have no hesitation sending a 100gr Nosler or Barnes at a deer out to 200-250 yards with the Grendel. Anything further and I would opt for the 123gr SST's.

BTW, good choice on going with MGM. I've shot a few of my buddies rifles that they have worked on and they all shoot great. I'm most likely going to use them to rebarrel my old .243 into a 6.5x47 Lapua or 6.5 Creedmoor in the next few months. It's an easy choice for me to use them since their shop is across the street from where I work

Comment

• shoprat
              Unwashed
              • Feb 2014

Thanks for all the input guys keep it coming. As far as barrel length goes, she is carrying a 28" pro hunter in .223 right now. She is doing pretty good with it. She got her buck this morning @ 7:35 am with her .223 out of the stand. My reason for going with the 26" is just availability ie: they have them in stock. With her rifle being a pro hunter, even with the 28" barrel, it is much lighter than my model 700 with a 22" barrel. I might see what the charge will be to knock a few inches off of it from MGM, and lead time on getting it in. So what do you guys say for twist rate with the 100 gr noslers out of the grendel? With that light of a bullet I would think going with the 1-8. Sound about right? Again thanks for all the input I am a total novice with the grendel, I have never shot one. she wants something with more knowckdown power/range capability than her current barrel. Sorry if this sounds like incoherant rambling. i have only slept a grand total of 2.5 hours in over 36. working afternoon shift and then opening day of rifle season this morning.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Since you don't have any receiver length really to mess with, 26" is fine. Figure an AR15 receiver is 7 3/4" long, so an AR15 with an 18" barrel profiles out similarly to an Encore with a 26" barrel.

I would say that the extra barrel beyond 22" doesn't really give you that much more velocity with the 6.5 Grendel, because we're dealing with a 33.0gr case capacity max, so consider going with a 22" for more maneuverability and balance for the shooter.

While up at Mountain Man Rendezvous this past weekend, I handled a guy's Pennsylvania Long Rifle muzzle loader, and it was perfectly balanced for me. It presented better than any other rifle I have held in my life, and just stayed rock solid on target with what felt like no effort on my part. It made me want to order one right away, but I will have to wait on that one. I've got my mind set on a Steyr 6.5x54 Mannlicher if I can find one.

So yeah, 26" won't be long with the Encore, but 22" would be a sweet little package that packs a lot of punch, with very little recoil.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Joseph5
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2012

I have a 1 in 8 twist barrel and that is what I would recommend. Having a pro hunter you could load 140's if you ever wanted to hunt something bigger or use a heavier bullet just because. The 123 SST will kill anything anything you care to shoot. You could also load Barnes 120 TTSX, 130 TSX, or Hornadys 120 GMX longer than what is possible in an AR to free up powder space so you could bump velocity.

Comment

Working...
                  X