• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • olde sarge
    Warrior
    • May 2014

KMR hand guard advise needed

I have purchased a Bravo Company KMR hand guard and in reading the instructions found that they recommend a max 50 ft-lb torque for the barrel nut. I emailed them and they again parroted the 40 to 50 ft-lb specs which makes me wonder about the strength of the special alloy barrel nut. I then spent the better part of today with the advanced search and am more confused than I was before I started. My question to the long time builders in the group is, if I bed the barrel extension with Loctite 242 and use the 50 ft-lb max torque setting (which is short of the 65+ ft-lb most mentioned), will I be alright for precision accuracy? Longevity of the rifle? What problems if any will only using 50ft-lbs cause? By the way the parts other than the hand guard and barrel nut are all PF if that makes a difference. Thank you
    Last edited by olde sarge; 11-24-2014, 09:58 PM.
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by olde sarge View Post
    I have purchased a Bravo Company KMR hand guard and in reading the instructions found that they recommend a max 50 ft-lb torque for the barrel nut. I emailed them and they again parroted the 40 to 50 ft-lb specs which makes me wonder about the strength of the special alloy barrel nut. I then spent the better part of today with the advanced search and am more confused than I was before I started. My question to the long time builders in the group is, if I bed the barrel extension with Loctite 242 and use the 50 ft-lb max torque setting (which is short of the 65+ ft-lb most mentioned), will I be alright for precision accuracy? Longevity of the rifle? What problems if any will only using 50ft-lbs cause? By the way the parts other than the hand guard and barrel nut are all PF if that makes a difference. Thank you
    40 - 50ft lbs is plenty tight. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Yup ^
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Joseph5
        Warrior
        • Oct 2012

I put a Wilson Combat Trim Rail on my rifle. It has a steel barrel nut and they recommend a max of 50 ft lbs torque also. I had to torque to 55 ft lbs to get mine to line up. I almost couldn't get the handgaurd on to the barrel nut because the there almost wasn't enough space between the end of the barrel nut and the upper receiver to get the handgaurd onto the barrel nut far enough to line up with the screw holes. I bedded my barrel with loctite also and the barrel extension to upper receiver fit is what I would call loose. I have only put 200 rounds through mine so far but it is very accurate.

Comment

• olde sarge
          Warrior
          • May 2014

Thanks guys, as soon as I get a receiver lapping tool ordered I will be putting the rifle together. Just want to give the upper a check for square even though, being a PF billet upper, I probably don't need to. This has been a long and very interesting project and learning curve.

Comment

Working...
          X