First Grendel, third AR-15, and I'm sure eventually there will be more in my future.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan_Backslide
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2014

First Grendel, third AR-15, and I'm sure eventually there will be more in my future.

This is my new JP Enterprises PSC-11 side charging upper mated to a stripped lower that I put together.

PSC-11 upper
    22", 1:8 twist, medium contour 6.5mm Grendel barrel
    JP Enterprises Recoil Eliminator that's been timed and blended.
    JP Thermal Dissipator
    JP Armageddon Revolution Trigger
    Magpul PRS stock
    JP Enterprises Silent Captured Spring

Hopefully I'll be taking it out some time over the weekend.
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 11-25-2014, 02:58 AM.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Sweet. Love the JP's.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• am4966
      Chieftain
      • Jul 2014

Sure is Pretty!
      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• lead chucker
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Very nice looking rifle! Congrats!

Comment

• jim_bob
          Warrior
          • Jul 2014

Sweet blaster, lets see some groups when you get it on paper.

Comment

• PredatorDown
            Warrior
            • Jun 2014

Sweet looking rifle! I've got a 22" JP barrel on mine and it's a shooter for sure. Let us know how you like that trigger, I've been curious!

Comment

• Dan_Backslide
              Unwashed
              • Oct 2014

So before I talk about any of the products here I probably need to put some up front warnings. Over the last few months I've been working for my friend/gunsmith/dealer at gun shows. He is a dealer for JP, and so essentially part of my job is to sell JP stuff. And to top it off, the other guy we have working with us also works for JP as a sales rep. Now despite these connections we are not actually acting as representatives for JP during those events, but even still we sell JP products, including the triggers. I'm going to try to be as objective as I can with all that in mind.

Ok so for the most part my experience with triggers is with either milspec, or JP. I haven't handled many other after market triggers. So please don't ask me to compare it to Any others. Anyways the trigger feels very crisp and clean, definitely a very smooth single stage trigger. I've actually got this one set to be between 3 and 3.5 pounds. The actual travel distance before it breaks feels very short. The reset is also nice and short, and overall the whole thing feels very smooth, and very different from a milspec trigger. There is definitely a lot less slop in the trigger too.

The actual roller trigger itself is really interesting. It eliminates a lot of lateral forces you might introduce to your shot by not having a 100% linear trigger pull. Instead that force is essentially rolled off to one side and isn't impacting your shots nearly as much. I really didn't realize how sloppy my form was when shooting until I tried it. It definitely feels like it allows your finger to move more naturally and without adversely affecting your shots as much.

At this point though I need to take it to the range and put a good amount of rounds down the pipe.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Nothing wrong with promoting JP products, as they are top-notch. JP knows how to run a machine shop, and he's been an avid competitive shooter since the 1970's. He still shoots matches, and was at an action-shooting long range match in Raton, NM recently with my buddies. He keeps it real from an end-user perspective, and has really taken the AR15 into totally different territory when you look at how the gun handles.

There are a number of innovative products he has introduced over the years, and most of them are copied by the rest of the industry:

* Adjustable gas systems
                * Free float handguards
                * Low-mass operating systems
                * Silent Captured Spring
                * Adjustable single stage trigger
                * Speed hammer
                * Torsion fit billet receivers
                * Thermal dissipator
                * Thermo-fit upper and barrels

When you pull the trigger on a JP rifle, the sights don't usually move off target, and it feels like a .22 rimfire the way it handles, but with no muzzle climb. There is a lot of confidence that a shooter can gain by such a system, and it shows in matches where a lightweight rifle with a responsive throttle is needed. This also passes over for the hunter, where you are able to spot your own hits, and 81police can attest to that with his hog hunting using the JP 18" 6.5 Grendel.

I built an AR15 for my friend who helped me with my armory/reloading room work, using an 18" JP .223 Wylde barrel that was given to me by a fellow forum member who had shot a boat load of M855 through it, and was ready to just trash the barrel. I used a square faced Aero Precision upper without the FA, blended the feed ramps to the upper, bedded it, installed an AP Customs carbon fiber handguard, and did a simple trigger polish on a rack-grade trigger/hammer.

His daughter basically confiscated the rifle from him after she printed 1/4" groups at 100yds with factory ammo, so now he's looking for another one.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Dan_Backslide
                  Unwashed
                  • Oct 2014

Well I think that it's best to disclose the fact that I can end up profiting from selling JP products, so it's best to disclose that interest. Regardless I'm very satisfied with the quality.

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Nice setup DB- it's nice to see more of us in MN interested in the Grrr. I'll rally the troops here in Mn - we can have a huge get together -BBQ- wknd., maybe this late spring.

It's cool that you help sell JP products, - No worries on anything sold on here.

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Keep on keepin us in the loop.

Comment

• Dan_Backslide
                        Unwashed
                        • Oct 2014

Yeah I'll be working the next show on the 13th down at the River Center this time instead of the Fairgrounds. I'd love to have a get together day of shooting and BBQ. Wonder if anyone's got some land for a get together like that.

Comment

Working...
                        X