X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whiskey_Tango
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2017

I had good results with 29.6gr RL15, 100 TTSX, Fed 205, 2.260 COAL, Hornady brass, 20" Satern, 0.360 3 shot group 100yd. I need to load some more to confirm the grouping is consistent though.

FWIW I trim to 1.516
    Last edited by Whiskey_Tango; 03-21-2017, 01:37 AM.

Comment

• extremearchery01
      Unwashed
      • Mar 2016

First off thanks for all the information everyone, getting started on reloading for 20" AWS and appreciated seeing some new links I hadn't found yet. I'm curious though I almost purchased the Accurate 2520 powder yesterday (settled for Win 748) and now that I read through Accurate's load data why is Alexander using 2520 at +30 gr while Accurate is saying 2230 at low to mid 20 gr. I guess why would Alexander be using a powder the manufacture isn't?

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by extremearchery01 View Post
        First off thanks for all the information everyone, getting started on reloading for 20" AWS and appreciated seeing some new links I hadn't found yet. I'm curious though I almost purchased the Accurate 2520 powder yesterday (settled for Win 748) and now that I read through Accurate's load data why is Alexander using 2520 at +30 gr while Accurate is saying 2230 at low to mid 20 gr. I guess why would Alexander be using a powder the manufacture isn't?
        First off welcome to the forum extremearchery01!

Accurate has sourced powder from different powder manufacturers over the years and some lots can produce more or less pressure for the same weight charge. I read where AA pressure tested their data but I’m unsure which method.

Western/Accurate list data from 20” barrel plus list pressure data. I’d trust Western/Accurate Data as it is with current lots of powder. In regards to Alexander Arms, many times the only data listed is the maximum load so it is import to reduce the charge and work up in your individual firearms. When Alexander Arms listed his reloading data there was very little reloading data available. Fortunately we have a better knowledge base on the 6.5 Grendel today.

I’d also suggest you consider purchasing the 6.5 Grendel handbooks.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 10-14-2018, 01:44 AM.

Comment

• Sticks
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by extremearchery01 View Post
          Should have got the AA2520 It is one of the top 3 preferred powders for Grendel.

I am using 2230 only because I have 24# from my 5.56 days. 27.4gr under a 123 ELD matches factory speeds in my rifles, and acceptable accuracy.
          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Accurate 2230 powder is a very good powder. I use Accurate 2230 with lighter bullets in the 6.5 Grendel and in 5.56/223. I think the Accurate 2520 is better with heavier 120-130 weight bullets in the 6.5 Grendel. I used Winchester 748 with 120 grain bullets in the 6.5 Grendel and in 5.56/223.

Comment

• extremearchery01
              Unwashed
              • Mar 2016

I will look into picking those up here soon, thanks Vascar2. I did delv a little further into accurate's website and the 6.0 manual does show a 123 round data for 2520 but is running a little slower. I see that they used a 20" 1-10 twist not sure how much difference my 1-9 Shilen performs with that.

I chose 748 because AA showed the same speeds as the Hornady SSTs I'm currently using now that group fabulous with minimal effort on my part. I have been getting mixed reviews about 748 that its temp sensitive and I'm not so happy about that since I deer hunt in Nov up here and would like to shoot coyotes all year long. Haven't research Accurate yet but hopefully soon.

I picked up a box of Hornady black 123 ELD-M and was going to compare that with their SSTs to see which performed better and that would be the round I was going to go with bullet wise.
              Last edited by extremearchery01; 10-14-2018, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

The powders which are more temperature stable will probably be IMR8208XBR and AR Comp. Winchester 748, Accurate 2520, LeveRevolution and CFE223 do loose velocity in lower temperatures. Varget is a very temperature stable powder but you can’t get enough in the small 6.5 Grendel case to make it worthwhile.

Comment

• wiguy
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2018

This is fairly handy, Sierra download for the 6.5 Grendel

Comment

• redhat
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2019

Just as an FYI, the Hodgdon link is broken. A current one exists here: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Comment

• Former Cav
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2019

Just as an FYI, the Hodgdon link is broken. A current one exists here: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
                      link is bad.
                      Last edited by LRRPF52; 10-24-2022, 12:08 AM.

Comment

• Old Bob
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2019

Try this one -- Choose Rifle ...

I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

I was looking over some Hornady reloading data errata on their site and noticed several changes to the 7th-11th Editions, which include some corrections for 6.5 Grendel.

9th Edition

Page 286, 6.5 Grendel, 95-100 grain data, the CFE 223 line should read:
                          Powder__2300 _2400 _2500 __2600 __2650 _2700
                          CFE 223 28.5gr. 29.7gr 31.0gr. 32.2gr. 32.9gr. 33.5gr.

11th Edition
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                          X