Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's cool that Ramshot published 20" Grendel data, but with 1/10" twist?

What barrel maker even offers 1/10 twist in a .264?

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      That's cool that Ramshot published 20" Grendel data, but with 1/10" twist?

What barrel maker even offers 1/10 twist in a .264?
      They do http://bartleinbarrels.com/calibers.htm with a 100$ extra

Comment

Here's some AA trajectory data for different barrel lengths, all zeroed at 600yds:

Comment

• JoeSheepDog

Primer Differences

While I've been reloading for a while, I'm still not sure about the performance differences between regular and magnum primers. For instance, many loading charts suggest using small rifle magnum primers for loading 6.5 ammo. But what are the performance consequences. Also, would this same difference (if any) apply to things like using regular small pistol primers for loading 357 magnum rounds?

Comment

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
            Here's a summary with a few added --

Factory Resources:

Hornady Manual

Sierra (per MidwayUSA -- needs confirmation)

Not Factory, additional resources:

reloadersnest.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, reloadersnest.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Questions -

Does anyone have the most recent Sierra manual and can they confirm that there's Grendel data in it?

Does anyone know of more factory reloading resources?
            The Nosler 2012 Reloading Guide #7 has 100 Grain and 120 Grain loads for the Grendel. It looks like their online version has added a 123 / 125 gr load also.

Explore the world of Nosler, renowned for crafting the finest bullets, ammunition, rifles, and brass. Discover our extensive lineup, including Partition, AccuBond, E-Tip, Ballistic Tip, Custom Competition, and more. Experience superior quality and performance with Nosler products.

Comment

• cory
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Flyby View Post
              The Nosler 2012 Reloading Guide #7 has 100 Grain and 120 Grain loads for the Grendel. It looks like their online version has added a 123 / 125 gr load also.

http://www.nosler.com/65-grendel
              My Nosler 2012 Reloading Guide #7 has the 123/125 gr loads. That's weird yours doesn't.
              "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

From Chuck Hawks website:

Pay close attention to what is mentioned about Winchester primers!

Primers affect the pressure generated by the cartridge. Changing from standard to magnum primers may substantially raise the maximum average pressure of the cartridge and indiscriminate changes are not recommended. The A-Square Company conducted pressure tests involving six different primers. These tests used the 7mm Remington Magnum cartridge with a 160 grain Sierra BT bullet and 66.0 grains of H4831 powder and the results were reported in the A-Square reloading manual Any Shot You Want. A-Square used CCI 200 and 250, Federal 215, Remington 9 1/2M, and Winchester WLRM and WLR primers in these tests. They revealed a total spread in pressure of 12,800 psi from the mildest standard (the CCI 200) to the hottest magnum (WLRM) primer tested.

Changing brands but using the same type of primer will also usually result in pressure changes, but ordinarily these will be less drastic. In the A-Square tests the pressure spread between the CCI 200 and the hottest standard primer (the WLR) was 9600 psi. The spread between the mildest magnum primer (the Rem. 9 1/2M) and the hottest magnum primer (WLRM) was 8300 psi. These are significant pressure variations that cannot safely be disregarded.

Incidentally, these same tests revealed that the Federal 215 and CCI 250 large rifle magnum primers produced nearly identical pressures. The difference between these two primers was only 100 psi. A-Square also reported that, while they had not tested these two primers in all possible cartridges, this result was typical of their experience with these two primers.

Basically, I follow the recommendations of whatever reloading manual I am using as a reference regarding the proper brand and type of primer to use. For example, if the load in the manual was developed using a WLR large rifle primer, then that is what I use. If one brand of primer (of the same type) must be substituted for another, the conventional wisdom is to reduce the recommended powder charge by 10% (assuming the load is not already at the minimum) and work back up slowly.

I don't know how valid it is, but the opinion of many reloaders seems to be that Winchester primers are generally the "hottest," Federal and CCI are the middle brands, and Remington primers are the mildest. That is also my impression, but understand that it is based on rumor and supposition, not fact.

When reloading, always seat primers slightly below flush with the head of the cartridge case. This insures that the anvil is properly pressed against the priming compound for reliable ignition. Failure to properly seat primers is the biggest single cause of misfires in reloaded ammunition. A good depth to aim for is .005" below flush. With some experience this can be determined by feeling the case head after the primer is seated. Any primer that is flush or protruding should be very carefully removed and the case reprimed. Decapping a live primer can set the thing off, so behave accordingly and take all necessary precautions, including ear and eye protection.

For hunting and general recreational shooting purposes I have not ordinarily seen a significant difference in accuracy attributable to using different brands of primers. However, there are exceptions to this general observation. Some loads do seem to work better with a certain primer. Sometimes the chronographed standard deviation in the velocity of a load is lower with one brand of primer than with another. In such cases I just go with the flow and use whatever primer works best.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2013, 07:42 PM. Reason: Grammatical errors fixed

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Great info Bwild.
                  In the Grendel arena of best primers-, I-as a many of us , have come to trust the cci-450, for the cup mtl. thickness, and overall decent results. Price point also. The AR needs thicker cups.
                  And, a few like the wolf srm for the gain of lower sd's., & claimed -better consistency. I have 400 of them-never took the time to try them -yet.

ZachJ5 and I chat of our shorty 40's-he was wowed a bit when I told him how I run the rig-==he had a few ftf. issues-==my idea of the 450's fixed it all, at least for me.
                  We all need to watch for over press. signs , no matter the primer. Start off lower, then ,, maybe--move up slowly.
                  Stay safe, only 1 of you. Thanks again Bwild-,== chuck hawkes is a friend to us all. So are you dude. Great find BW!
                  Last edited by sneaky one; 07-31-2013, 02:57 AM.

Comment

• ejkoechling
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2014

Speaking of reloading manuals. I can find the Volume 1 of the grendel reloading at AA, but I can't find Volume 2. Can somebody post a link please

Comment

Originally posted by ejkoechling View Post
                      Speaking of reloading manuals. I can find the Volume 1 of the grendel reloading at AA, but I can't find Volume 2. Can somebody post a link please

Comment

• ejkoechling
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jan 2014

Thanks, 65man

Comment

• SDguy
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2015

Suppose Barnes Load data may be of use to some. I see they indicate reloader 15 is a favored powder for the 100 grain TTSX. I do not have this powder on hand. Have been seeing some good reports on IMR 8208 with the TTSX as well. Anyone have experience with both powders. I will be giving the TTSX a go in the CZ 527 bolt Gun w a 24 1 in 9 barrel b4 long.

Comment

• Madtown6.5
                            Unwashed
                            • Dec 2015

Originally posted by SDguy View Post
                            Suppose Barnes Load data may be of use to some. I see they indicate reloader 15 is a favored powder for the 100 grain TTSX. I do not have this powder on hand. Have been seeing some good reports on IMR 8208 with the TTSX as well. Anyone have experience with both powders. I will be giving the TTSX a go in the CZ 527 bolt Gun w a 24 1 in 9 barrel b4 long.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/files/2...ndelBRM5V6.pdf
                            Is that case trim length correct on Barnes load data? Case Trim: 1.150”

Comment

• Ten Ring
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2016

I am trying to find data for AR-Comp this is what I received when I aske Alliance

Alliant has no tested load data for the Grendell. Looking to the Hornady #10 reloading manual, they also have no tested load data utilizing the Alliant AR-Comp propellant. The Alliant propellant listed from Hornady is the Reloder-15.
                              The data in the above mentioned manual is copyrighted and you will need to either contact Hornady or purchase the manual.
                              Thanks,
                              Duane V.
                              Technical Services Rep
                              Alliant/Blazer/CCI/Speer
                              2299 Snake River Ave
                              Lewiston, ID 83501
                              1-800-379-1732

Comment

• rothirsch
                                Unwashed
                                • Nov 2015

MY Hornady manual has 1.510 trim length, 1.520 Max length.
                                Ret. Air Force
                                NRA Lifer, NRA Basic Pistol, NRA RSO, Deutche Auschlander Jaeger, IDPA CCP Novice

Comment

Working...
                                X