What are your thoughts on this custom reticle for my 6.5G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TacBlade
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2014

What are your thoughts on this custom reticle for my 6.5G?

Looking to get this custom reticle put in my existing Leupold VX3 6.5-20X40 30mm Side Focus scope? Actually the one that goes in a 6.5-20 only has 29 MOA hash marks downward, not 32 shown here for the 4.5-14.
    Attached Files
  • am4966
    Chieftain
    • Jul 2014

I like it, looks like a Horus
    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• SG4247
      Warrior
      • Aug 2013

Pretty useful...I think.

How much for such an upgrade?

Who would perform the work?
      NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by TacBlade View Post
        Looking to get this custom reticle put in my existing Leupold VX3 6.5-20X40 30mm Side Focus scope? Actually the one that goes in a 6.5-20 only has 29 MOA hash marks downward, not 32 shown here for the 4.5-14.
        What is your intent for this reticle pattern? The more marks, dots, and lines in a reticle, the longer it takes you to find the right one and the longer it takes to find the right one, the more your attention is shifted from the things that need to be done to make a good shot towards things not involved in making a good shot. Like trying to find the right line, dot, or mark and then getting a sight picture, and then getting one's focus back.

There are circumstances where such a pattern is of value. Like when you expect to miss the first shot AND your spotter has a spotting scope with the same pattern, AND who is in a position to see your bullet trace, AND is in a condition where he can see your bullet trace. Also, it is extremely important that you can call your shot reasonably well. If you can't call your shot or don't have a spotter who knows what he is doing, this type of pattern will probably cause more misses than a conventional pattern of some sort.

So, when guys want these reticles that have all the dots, lines, and numbers, I ask them what they intend to use it for.

LR55

Comment

• TacBlade
          Bloodstained
          • Jul 2014

Leupold just came out with this for an option to be installed in a Leupold scope. Any reticle is like $159.00 installed. I really agree on all the dots being to much, but I like the stadia lines, as it's like my MOAR reticle on my NF ATACR. This is really the only option in a MOA based reticle the Leupold offers, unless you move up to a scope that is at least twice the price. I currently have the Varmint Hunter reticle in my scope and I do not like it.

Comment

• SG4247
            Warrior
            • Aug 2013

image.jpg

My current favorite...

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
              What is your intent for this reticle pattern? The more marks, dots, and lines in a reticle, the longer it takes you to find the right one and the longer it takes to find the right one, the more your attention is shifted from the things that need to be done to make a good shot towards things not involved in making a good shot. Like trying to find the right line, dot, or mark and then getting a sight picture, and then getting one's focus back.

There are circumstances where such a pattern is of value. Like when you expect to miss the first shot AND your spotter has a spotting scope with the same pattern, AND who is in a position to see your bullet trace, AND is in a condition where he can see your bullet trace. Also, it is extremely important that you can call your shot reasonably well. If you can't call your shot or don't have a spotter who knows what he is doing, this type of pattern will probably cause more misses than a conventional pattern of some sort.

So, when guys want these reticles that have all the dots, lines, and numbers, I ask them what they intend to use it for.

LR55
              Out of curiosity which reticle do you use for long distant shooting? I have always used the old come up method but have witnessed better shooters than I use the Horus reticle "which was advantageous during a timed shoot" with good results.

Comment

• TacBlade
                Bloodstained
                • Jul 2014

Originally posted by SG4247 View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]5930[/ATTACH]

My current favorite...
                I like that also!!! What scope can you get that in?

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by montana View Post
                  Out of curiosity which reticle do you use for long distant shooting? I have always used the old come up method but have witnessed better shooters than I use the Horus reticle "which was advantageous during a timed shoot" with good results.
                  Had to ask that question. He, he. Had to look them up on the Nightforce web site to remember what they were called.

And, my choice depends on the situation. Target type and physical conditions such as environment, stress, speed needed, most likely ranges.

So, from stationary positions on targets of about one minute or higher, at unknown distances, with targets that can be moving, I have a NXS 5.5 - 22 X 56 with the NPR-1 reticle pattern. I prefer minutes to mils. The 56mm objective is a waste of time and money. Smaller objective would have been a better choice but so it goes.

For NRA High Power on those infrequent times where I use an optic for a prone match, I have a NXS 8 - 32 X 56 with what is now called a DDR2 dot with some stadia. The problem with this one is that the dot is too big at .95 MOA. And I found the black dot gets hard to see in a black bullseye depending on the light conditions. Never really lost sight of it but it can become bothersome. Since it is High Power on a KD range, I index elevation and maybe windage if the wind is constant. Which is rare so I normally use hold offs on the target.

For tactical stuff requiring some precision on upper torso size targets when using a AR, I have both the Nightforce 2.5 - 10 X 42 with the 600 yard velocity reticle and a 2.5 - 10 X 24 with the FC - 2 reticle. The Velocity reticle is made for the 168 grain .308 load and works just fine with any respectable Grendel load. However, it is hard to use for wind or leads on movers. The FC-2 reticle is not as precise for hold overs to get to 600 but is much easier to use for wind or leads on movers. I zero both at 300 yards but it can be a bit tricky to use the FC-2 reticle for a hold over much past 500 yards and that is on a upper torso size target.

I am currently evaluating a US Optics tactical scope with a Horus Vision reticle. I have been around the Horus patterns for over ten years and will say that if you have a decent spotter and miss with your first shot, you have a much higher chance of a hit with the second shot than if you used a conventional reticle. And, providing you have memorized a few of the stadia in terms of hold overs, you have a better chance of a first round hit in winds than a conventional reticle. If no winds, a person can memorize stadia just as well but holding for wind without any sort of reference is very difficult. The downsides are as I have stated. I prefer optics with as little clutter as necessary to do the job.

You will find that shooters either seem to like the Horus types of reticles or hate them. I don't particularly like them but would use them if the conditions suited them. They are a tool for a job.

LR1955

Comment

• Slappy
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2014

Heck an ATACR nothing more to say about that, you do not need anything, that ATACR is one fine scope fo sure. It would be interesting to have the MOA built into the scope though, no dialing and redialing. I would be very curious to see how that would work. I would just get another ATACR or one of them NF higher dollar scopes and call it good/great!!! The cool factor having one made to fit the GR6.5 would be very cool!! Let us know if you go that route. BANG BANG!!!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

I find that the Horus type reticles work in the context LR1955 described, particularly in dry environments where you are highly likely to get a register on a miss, or for higher 1st-round hit probability in wind IF you have trained a lot with the reticle. You really need to be married with your hold overs for range, so you aren't looking back and forth at a ballistics chart somewhere, because it is easy to get lost in that approach.

In the green, they don't offer a lot over traditional hash reticles, unless you're shooting a bulldozer cartridge that gives nice registers in the soil with heavy weight.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• biodsl
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2011

Please keep us posted if you do this, TacBlade. I read about this reticle a few months ago on the Firearmblog. My thought was to put it in the 2.5-8x36 VX3. With a Aero Precision mount, you have a mid-range 'tactical' set up that came in under one pound. You could add a custom dial system if you desired as well.

Here's the Firearmblog post http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-32x1-reticle/
                        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• SG4247
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2013

I like that also!!! What scope can you get that in?
                          This is the new MOAR-T reticle from Nightforce.

It is on a new 8-32 NXS. Planning to shoot it F-open prone 600 yard next year using an AR-10.

26" Kreiger installed last week, shot it today at 300 with good results.

As mentioned previously, have to learn the hold overs.

Comment

• Nukes
                            Banned
                            • Sep 2014

The reticle appears to be an moa version of the Kahles/Desert Tech AMR reticle, less busy than the Horus reticles, yet still useful for precise and reproducible wind calls, extreme long range, and, if you are the kind of shooter who can miss [laughing], for long-range shot correction.

Here's a review of the AMR reticle: http://www.sincityprecision.com/?p=2212

I like these "Christmas tree" reticles because they help me focus on shot fundamentals without the distraction (and irreproducibility) of interpolating hashmarks and dots. These reticles also aid in self-spotting.
                            Last edited by Nukes; 11-28-2014, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• Fredman
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2014

I bought a Horus +/-8 years ago. Glass is good, my group size shrank 30% at med range. I was using a 4.5x14 Long Range. With duplex. I ended up taping a cheat sheat on the inside of my stock. Range, glance to the right, aim and shoot.
                              Three months ago I picked up a N.F. with the MOART reticule. Now we are cooking!
                              I agree that the OP's reticule looks like a Horus. They do work well with practice.

Comment

Working...
                              X