• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnjohn
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2014

Reloading for AR15

I've never loaded for an AR15 before, but have done so with bolt guns for a few years now.

Is there a way to measure the lands or do we even need to?

Is it true that we will never reach the lands of an AR15 because of mag capacity if we still want it to function as a semi auto?

Thanks
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Johnjohn. No time like the present to begin. You will find reloading for an autoloader, such as the AR, as fairly similar, but there may be some considerations, depending on the rifle and caliber. For the most part, though, it will be straightforward.

To answer your questions:
    Is there a way to measure the lands or do we even need to?
    Yes, there is. There are a a few different methods - some make use of specialized tools, such as the Hornady LNL OAL gauge, while others make use of modified cases. Whichever method you use, be sure to measure with each bullet type you reload, as their weights and profiles will determine their seating depths.

Do you need to? In most AR chamberings, you don't. With the Grendel, though, it's not a bad idea.

Is it true that we will never reach the lands of an AR15 because of mag capacity if we still want it to function as a semi auto?
    Again, that is mostly true. Because of the Grendel's unique throat design, though, it is possible to seat some bullets far enough out to touch or jam into the compound throat before you reach what is considered standard Magazine Length (2.250"). While various magazines allow you to load out as far as 2.30", most reloaders don't bother - mainly because bullet lengths can vary enough to cause feeding issues when loaded to the limit of the magazine. Some do load rounds longer than magazine length but, as you identified, these are now single fed configurations.

Regardless, you should measure your specific barrel, as there are minor differences in throat clearances from manufacturer to manufacturer and, to a lesser degree, even in chambers cut by the same barrel maker.

Bottom line: If you are going to reload for the Grendel, do a couple of searches here on the board for OAL discussions, and powder / bullet choices. This is an often discussed subject, so you will find quite a bit of good general information.

Finally, there are a couple of very good reloading resources available with concentrated goodness, in the form of the Grendel Reloading Handbooks, as seen here.

These editions compliment one another, and very much worth owning.
    Last edited by NugginFutz; 11-26-2014, 09:40 PM. Reason: clarification of handbook relationship
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• johnjohn
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2014

Thank you NugginFutz. That was informative. I'll do more research and reading on here regarding reloading.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

ALWAYS full length resize, making sure you bump the shoulder 2-3/1000ths

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

You're quite welcome. Believe me when I say that there is quite a lot of very good information sprinkled through the site. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if others added to my meager overview.

Have a safe and satisfying holiday, and don't hesitate to ask any questions.
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
            ALWAYS full length resize, making sure you bump the shoulder 2-3/1000ths
            Speaking of the devil...

Comment

• majbdrake
              Unwashed
              • Oct 2014

I'm finding that my ASC 6.5 Grendel Magazines don't like to load my 7.62x39 reformed cases in my AR when I am fire-forming the cases. Is this a common occurrence using reformed brass for the first time? I haven't been to a range yet with the fire-formed brass yet but the new AR upper was scary accurate at 100 yards when single-loaded with these light fire-forming loads and I'm looking forward to finishing the fire-forming loads to try to build an accurate load with the properly formed brass.

Bruce

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by majbdrake View Post
                I'm finding that my ASC 6.5 Grendel Magazines don't like to load my 7.62x39 reformed cases in my AR when I am fire-forming the cases. Is this a common occurrence using reformed brass for the first time? I haven't been to a range yet with the fire-formed brass yet but the new AR upper was scary accurate at 100 yards when single-loaded with these light fire-forming loads and I'm looking forward to finishing the fire-forming loads to try to build an accurate load with the properly formed brass.

Bruce
                Entirely likely, as the case taper of 7.62 brass is wrong for Grendel mags, should be fine once they are formed.

Comment

• rasp65
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

JJ You can try this method to measure jump http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...jump-amp-crimp
                  Last edited by rasp65; 12-02-2014, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• Sniper338
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

Very good and consistant brass prep is KEY!!!!! Its a must for me with my grendel...

Comment

Working...
                    X