• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jim_bob
    Warrior
    • Jul 2014

1st and 2nd Grendel Whitetails

I am fully sold on the 6.5 grendel cartridge for hunting whitetail deer. I wasn't sure if it would really replace the Husqvarna made Smith and Wesson Model B 308 I've used since I started deer hunting. The grendel does everything my 308 does with less recoil, there's no going back.

The first doe was taken out of a climbing tree stand in Floyd County, VA. The property is mostly ridges and hollows, the tree stand was placed right at the top of one of the main hollows. I put 1 123 grain SST through both lungs at about 50 yards. Deer took one step forward, fell and rolled back down the hill. Entry point was tiny, exit was over 2".

The second doe was taken while sitting on a ridge leaning against a tree. The shot was about 140 yards. I placed a 123 grain SST through both lungs, although the shot was a little high for my liking. Entry and exit wounds were essentially the same as the 1st deer.

I profiled the rifle in earlier post here. All I can say is it is definitely the finest rifle I've ever owned. If you ever get a chance to purchase a rifle made by Precision Firearms, jump on it, you will be impressed.

grendel_doe_1.jpgclimber_view.jpggrendel_doe_2.jpg
  • PA_Allen
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Great job! Congratulations!
    Pretty looking spot too.
    PA

Comment

• Mountain Man
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2014

Nice work Jim Bob.

I miss hunting East Coast Hardwoods, really beautiful this time of year.

Did the SST disable both shoulders? Good shot placement either way.
      "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF? I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Comment

• Slappy
        Warrior
        • Feb 2014

Nice going, congrats!! BANG BANG!!

Comment

• jim_bob
          Warrior
          • Jul 2014

As far as I could tell, neither SST hit a shoulder. They hit the near side just back of the shoulder, went through both lungs and blew out pieces of rib and a 2"+ hole on the backside. The first was angled away from me slightly and the second was angled toward me slightly.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Major congrats. Have you chrono'd that load from your barrel? Is that an Arion Type I?
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rebelsoul
              Warrior
              • Jan 2014

Congrats! The lack of recoil can't be over stated. It just makes sense to send the damage down range, instead of into your shoulder.
              "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

• jim_bob
                Warrior
                • Jul 2014

I have not been able to chronograph any loads out of my rifle as I lack the instrumentation and knowledge to do so. If anyone is in or around the Roanoke Valley, has the equipment, knowledge, and would like to go shoot I have access to some good places with natural backstops.

The rifle is not a Precision Firearms Arion Type I. I purchased the complete upper from Precision Firearms and a matching stripped lower. The upper was a custom build for a guy that actually wanted a 308, but for some reason 6.5 grendel parts were pulled for the build. The upper was listed in the PF outlet. I purchased it from the outlet as it matched my dream upper to a T. What's not to like about 18" of fluted Lija steel, carbon fiber handguard, PF's super match carrier and phalanx bolt in a package that weighs 4 lbs, 9 oz? I built the lower with a Wilson Combat TR-TTU, fat ergo grip (I have big hands), and an ACE Ultralight stock. The ACE ultralight was a gamble and man did it pay off. I mounted the Vortex 2.5-10x32 in the lowest NightForce Unimount, I couldn't have picked a better combination as far as cheek weld and scope alignment are concerned. I mount the rifle with my eyes closed, open them, and everything lines up perfectly.

In my opinion its the contemporary scout rifle, light, quick, and most of all accurate. It doesn't look like your grandpa's deer rifle, but one shoulder mount and trigger pull and you'll be hooked.

Comment

• jim_bob
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2014

So far I have only shot factory Hornady 123 grain SSTs. I have some Precision Firearms 120 grain Noslers and 123 grain SSTs, but didn't get to shoot them before hunting season rolled around.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Mark's work is pretty exceptional. I have mic'd the muzzle threads, looked at the chamber alignment for concentricity, and I noticed that the measurements from grooves to thread peaks at the muzzle are all dead on, same measurement.

The last Lilja barrel I used from him for a forum member was dropped into a square-faced upper, bedded, free-floated with carbon fiber handguard and bedded gas block. It's shooting under an inch at 200yds with hand loads.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Jim bob- nice harvests! Yes, the Grrr is a slayer. The recoil reduction is great, as compared to the .308. Put a Limbsaver recoil pad on the stock==5.56 felt recoil.

Contact tackdriver- he is in your area,, maybe he can help out with a chrono.

It really is an invaluable tool to have- we can find deals for 79.99 all over the web. I use the cheapo Chrony F1- @ 15 ft. out from the muzzle- it does all I need it to do.

Comment

• jim_bob
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2014

I'd love to see the groups someone that can actually shoot could get out of this rifle.

I'd love to see some more shooter deer too. I hunted Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and today and all I saw were a button buck on Monday afternoon and a small spike with a tall rack this morning. It was a very disappointing week in the woods. Definitely the fewest deer I've seen at my Grandmother's farm in the 16 years I've hunted it. I'm not sure if I'll be able to sneak back out for a hunt before the end of rifle season.

Is there a 6.5 muzzle loader?

Comment

Working...
                        X