• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 65Whelen
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Carbine Length Gas System

I have a chance to buy a nice barrel with the carbine length gas system. Are there any problems or issues using the carbine length gas system and the Grendel?
  • jurassic
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Can you measure the diameter of the gas port, how long is the barrel?

Comment

• Slappy
      Warrior
      • Feb 2014

They are carbine length in the 16 and 18 inch. Rifle length starts at 20 inches. If that helps?? BANG BANG!!

Comment

• 65Whelen
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

It's an 18" barrel, I don't have the barrel so I can't measure the gas port. What would be an ideal gas port size?

Comment

• Slappy
          Warrior
          • Feb 2014

Maker of the barrel?? From what I have read and seen it is 090 some say 093. Some body with a lot more smarts should chime in. are you wanting to change something on it, if it is used it is or was probably working unless they were having troubles you would need to find out what troubles?? There are lots and lots of 18 inch barrels out there with this type of gas system and they work right good. BANG BANG!!
          Last edited by Slappy; 11-29-2014, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Carbine length gas is too short for an 18" barrel. MLGS is the shortest you want to go.

Port on a MLGS 18" should be no larger than .076".
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Slappy
              Warrior
              • Feb 2014

See there someone with the stuff would show up. I just call the 3,, pistol, carbine (which is what I call the mid) and rifle. Lots of info out there, I am just now figuring out about the benefits on an 18 inch ran with w rifle system setup??? Always stuff out there to learn. Keep It Simple has always been the deal for me. Or let the masters do it!! BANG BANG!!

Comment

• usmc1371
                Warrior
                • Aug 2011

18 in barrel with a rifle length gas system can be tricky to work with. I'm have a 18 with rifle gas system is have been having a hard time getting it to run.

Comment

• 65Whelen
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

To answer my own question which was right under my nose, there is a section in the 6.5 Grendel Handbook Vol. 1 covering gas systems with recommendations to match the appropriate gas systems to barrel length.

18" barrel and Carbine Length Gas System is not a good combination.
                  Last edited by 65Whelen; 12-01-2014, 04:00 AM.

Comment

• lead chucker
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

Whats the shortest barrel length you can go with a mid length gas before you see cycling issues?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by lead chucker View Post
                      Whats the shortest barrel length you can go with a mid length gas before you see cycling issues?
                      Depends on other variables, like the gas port diameter and the load. You could go 12.5" MLGS, with the port cut for your range of loads, and this has been done already by a guy who shoots it suppressed a lot. Unsuppressed, you're going to need the port cut correctly, and really watch what loads you shoot.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lead chucker
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        Depends on other variables, like the gas port diameter and the load. You could go 12.5" MLGS, with the port cut for your range of loads, and this has been done already by a guy who shoots it suppressed a lot. Unsuppressed, you're going to need the port cut correctly, and really watch what loads you shoot.
                        Im looking into this. I shoot suppressed 98% of the time. Do you have the data on what the gas port diameter should be? I really dont want to go shorter than 14" but looking at 15". I'll be shooting 123gn amax's and SSTs mainly but may shoot some 100gn amax or 90gn TNTs.

Thanks for any info!

Comment

Working...
                        X