A-MAX bangs 'em hard! (Are they supposed to explode?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • am4966
    Chieftain
    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Turn off/ Mis-Align/ Block the gas block. Instant Bolt-gun.
    Yep adjustable gas block, turn gas off and remove gas tube! There is your manual action
    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• deer hunter
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2014

I've killed several with AMAX and yes they are explosive but I'm partial to the SSTs in all my guns for deer. They to are rather explosive and devastating on Whitetails.

Comment

• wraith1516
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

Shot 2does with grendel first one with 100gr nosler ballistic tip 185 yds it had complete pass through second doe was at 455 yds with Barnes 100gr ttsx complete pass through tumbled and left nice exit hole , the first one thought granaded and base passed through wishing I had pics but dead is dead and it tastes good

Comment

• wraith1516
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

Btw isn't the A-MAX a target bullet

Comment

• Sniper338
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

I have had no problem with Amax bullets on deer. I havent taken pictures, but im hunting now so if i do shoot something ill take pics...

my wife shot a big ol buck a few years ago in the shoulder and that bullet hit so dang hard i was wowed... it was loud when it hit the deer. I shoot all mine in the head and neck. As far as the amax bullets in the neck they come apart fairly well and make a larger exit... ballistic tip bullets are designed to do that. The red plastic tip pushes back into the bullet iopening it up on impact. Never had a problem.

I shoot bergers out of other rifles and never had a problem either. The hunting bullets work well. I would not recommend berger target bullets for hunting unless its in the head only... they do not come apart at all. The target bullets leave a tiny hole in and a tiny hole out.

berger varmint bullets explode on impact too very well... the .22 cal varmint box... great for killin varmints!

Comment

• Sniper338
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by wraith1516 View Post
              Btw isn't the A-MAX a target bullet

Yes it is designed as a target bullet.

Comment

• Mountain Man
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2014

Picked up a box of Nosler 120 gr B-Tip Spitzers to load in front of 27 ish grains of TAC and/or 30 ish grains of CFE 223. Intended to be liberally applied to wolves during upcoming 5 day Camping/Hunting Trip through local mountain range.

We'll see how well the Noslers work. If 100 gr could be obtained locally I would have probably bought them instead, 120's might be a tad heavy for wolfie.
                "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF? I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Comment

• SG4247
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2013

With short notice, I decided to out and hunt with a buddy towards the end of rifle season.

So, no grendel ammo on hand anywhere, all I could find is 100 rounds of 168 gr Amax that were hand loaded for my AR-10 Armalite rifle.

Knowing this is a 1/2 MOA load in this gun, I am confident it will be accurate IF I were to see anything. But not really comfortable with the Amax for hunting. Odds are I won't see a thing anyway, so I grab the gun and ammo.

Foggy morning, and at 7:05 am I look through the fog and THERE HE is!

I hammer the buck at 60 yards right behind the shoulder. Easy shot with this .308. He runs 40 yards and falls over.

No exit would, no blood trail, no nothing. Finally, I find a couple of small frag exits holes down low at the bottom of the rib cage.

Basically, the Amax bullet fragmented into a million pieces upon impact and turned the entire heart/lung area into mush. So badly, I didn't even want the meat. The Buck is a healthy 160 lb 9 point.

I donated the meat, and had the head & antlers done as a European mount.

Lessons learned, no more target bullets on game that I will want to recover.

No blood trail is a big deal, had he been a monster buck and ran off, we would have struggled to find him.
                  Attached Files
                  NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

Working...
                  X