• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buster
    Warrior
    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Nukes View Post
    What other shops sell receivers that are squared off the shelf?
    I did a couple of Black Rain Ordinance builds that were squared..

Comment

• molar
      Bloodstained
      • Jun 2014

AA and Mega are the only ones I'd trust to be square

Comment

• ejkoechling
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2014

I had to square my AA upper. It wasn't out much, but it did need to be squared

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
          Warrior
          • Apr 2011

I guarantee our's are square. But then our's are billet and they should be.

Precision Firearms
          "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• olde sarge
            Warrior
            • May 2014

What Mark (PF) says is true. Every one here talking about having to lap uppers got me second guessing myself and what Mark said about his billet upper. So I ordered a lapping tool from Brownell's and finally received it, in early afternoon today. Wanting to check my upper I oiled it up really well and was able to get it to fit but just barely as the machining is to such tight tolerance in the upper. Took my tactical flash light and checked around the receiver, each time turning the lapping tool about 45 degrees. Even with my tactical flash light could not see any light getting through. So I put the lapping tool away for possible need on a future build. I hope I am remembering correctly what LRRPF52 said, but I think he said if no light with this method don't monkey with it. No reason now to put off assembly any longer just need to get it done. Won't be able to fire it other than single shot for a while because I was worrying so much about getting all the parts I needed, I forgot to order Magazines. I guess old age and CRS. Ha ha.

Comment

• am4966
              Chieftain
              • Jul 2014

^^^^LOL^^^^ let me put mags on the list��
              12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
              Surge - Rugged Suppressor
              Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• smokinghole
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2015

So I have a question about the lapping tool. I'm considering an Aero Precision COP upper for the build I'm wanting to do. How would one square up the barrel mount, if out of square, with a permanent monolithic rail in the way? What would be the best way to stand off from the tool face? I imagine a drill press might be useful in this application because the chuck is skinnier than my hand held drill.

Comment

• molar
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jun 2014

Originally posted by PrecisionFirearms View Post
                  I guarantee our's are square. But then our's are billet and they should be.

Precision Firearms
                  I thought you only sold barreled uppers. Didn't realize you sold stripped uppers. Will have to check them out.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by smokinghole View Post
                    So I have a question about the lapping tool. I'm considering an Aero Precision COP upper for the build I'm wanting to do. How would one square up the barrel mount, if out of square, with a permanent monolithic rail in the way? What would be the best way to stand off from the tool face? I imagine a drill press might be useful in this application because the chuck is skinnier than my hand held drill.
                    MidwayUSA sells the Wheeler version, which has a flexible shaft. I believe this would allow a drill to drive the lapping tool while offset enough to clear the upper.

If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• smokinghole
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2015

Sweet. Thanks for the,heads up. I am new to the build process and didnt know about the flex shaft version.

Comment

• am4966
                        Chieftain
                        • Jul 2014

I have a wheeler lapping tool, haven't used it yet. Still gathering parts to complete my build. Plus waiting for my NFA Tax Stamp before putting together after I get the parts.
                        12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                        Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                        Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• spectra
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2014

So do people like the wheeler tool? I was wondering with the extension if it was sloppy or ? I know sometimes those extensions are not so great. Looking at ordering one and well Brownells is OOS on a item I want and Midway has it but sells the wheeler unit. I don't want to pay shipping on 2 orders.....

Comment

• Bwild97
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by spectra View Post
                            So do people like the wheeler tool? I was wondering with the extension if it was sloppy or ? I know sometimes those extensions are not so great. Looking at ordering one and well Brownells is OOS on a item I want and Midway has it but sells the wheeler unit. I don't want to pay shipping on 2 orders.....
                            I love the wheeler lapping tool, as previously stated...lube the tail shaft!

Comment

• 2_speed
                              Bloodstained
                              • Nov 2011

So..if you're not gonna use Ceracoat or something, what finish does the hoard recommend if you have to remove enough material to get through the anodizing to bare aluminum to get sq
                              Cheers!
                              Tom

Comment

• NugginFutz
                                Chieftain
                                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by 2_speed View Post
                                So..if you're not gonna use Ceracoat or something, what finish does the hoard recommend if you have to remove enough material to get through the anodizing to bare aluminum to get sq
                                Cheers!
                                Tom
                                Tom,

If you do lap an upper to square the face, you most certainly will remove the anodizing and expose the aluminum - it's an unavoidable part of the process. Nobody I am aware of does anything to re-coat or anodize the upper, afterwards. All I've done was to wipe it with a bit of grease or a light film of Slip 2000 EWL.

The general consensus seems to be that while ceracoating or finishes are pretty, rubbed bare spots are nothing to fear. I seem to remember a picture someone shared of an issue weapon that had been rubbed silly with a scotch brite pad.
                                If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
                                X