Elk

Grendel makes meat.

150 yds. 120gr TTSX.

Attached Files
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 12-01-2014, 05:02 PM. Reason: Embedded Large Image
  • Kikn
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

Nicely done. How was the shot placement? How far did you have to track?

And finally and most important...care to share the load data? :-)

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

You used my favorite hunting bullet. Elk are my favorite meat , another pair of ivory teeth added to the Grendel, good job. Did you have to drag it very far? thanks for sharing.

Comment

• hydrotech
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

awesome!

Comment

• Slappy
          Warrior
          • Feb 2014

Good eats and good on ya. BANG BANG!!

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Congrats, and nice harvest. Also interested in the details.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Mountain Man
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2014

Where ya hunting?
              "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF? I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Comment

• Ullr
                Unwashed
                • Oct 2014

So ... details.

Took it last Tuesday morning, in the middle of a snowstorm in very steep terrain at about 6500 ft. Bridger Mountains, outside Bozeman, MT.

Shot placement was not ideal, but was acceptable. She was bedded down in timber below me (I had climbed to the top of the mountain before sunrise, and was hunting my way back down) on a steep slope about 150 yards across an open meadow. There were three other cows with her that I could see, further back in the timber. She was quartering away, and most of the vital zone was under snow. So, I was forced to shoot high and also ended up hitting farther forward than I had intended. The bullet entered in front of the near shoulder, and exited the base of the neck on the far side.

At the shot, the other elk in the herd jumped up and ran off. She just laid there, head up but not moving. For a moment I thought I had mistakenly shot an elk-shaped tree stump out of the middle of a herd of elk, she kept so still. After about 15-20 seconds though, that big long neck started to wobble, and a few seconds later fell over flat on the deck. I got up and began moving down across the meadow. Got about half way there, and her head came back up and then crashed down again. She saw me coming and struggled to stand but only managed to get her front feet under her before she immediately fell over backwards and rolled about 20 yds down the mountain and further into the trees. When I got to where she had been bedded, it was clear that although I had not hit the spine, I had punched a major blood vessel. So much blood. People joke about a blood trail that Ray Charles could follow, but in this case it was literally true. No need to see it, as I could smell the blood in the air.

Looked down through the trees and spotted her on the ground where she had come to rest from the tumble, about 20 yds downhill. As I moved toward her, she tried to stand again. She was dead, but just hadn't come to terms with it yet. I put a second shot thru her lungs to hasten the inevitable, though I do not believe that I hastened it by much more than a few seconds. I think that had I waited a minute before heading down the mountain initially, I would have found her dead right where she had been shot.

The haul out was an experience. Only about 1/2 mile to the truck, as the magpie flies. But about 1,000 feet down. At least it was down. Had it been up, I'd still be out there. Took about 4 hours for me to get her down the first 600 yards. Sometimes I was dragging her down the mountain over trees and rocks through the snow, sometimes it was the other way around. Right at dark, the ravine I had been dragging her down dumped over a 10 foot cliff. Buttoned her up and went home, as I did not believe that negotiating her over that sort of obstacle, alone, in the dark, was prudent. Turns out that was a good call. Came back the next morning with a buddy and a come-along, and it still took us the better part of three hours to get her down that last 200 yards (and 250 ft vertical). Over two more cliffs. Across the creek. Back up the hill to the truck.

Technical details - 20"barrel (Lilja). 120 gr TTSX. 28.75 gr TAC on Hornady brass, CCI BR-4 primers. Not a published load. Duplicate at your own risk.

Comment

• montana
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Ullr View Post
                  So ... details.

Took it last Tuesday morning, in the middle of a snowstorm in very steep terrain at about 6500 ft. Bridger Mountains, outside Bozeman, MT.

Shot placement was not ideal, but was acceptable. She was bedded down in timber below me (I had climbed to the top of the mountain before sunrise, and was hunting my way back down) on a steep slope about 150 yards across an open meadow. There were three other cows with her that I could see, further back in the timber. She was quartering away, and most of the vital zone was under snow. So, I was forced to shoot high and also ended up hitting farther forward than I had intended. The bullet entered in front of the near shoulder, and exited the base of the neck on the far side.

At the shot, the other elk in the herd jumped up and ran off. She just laid there, head up but not moving. For a moment I thought I had mistakenly shot an elk-shaped tree stump out of the middle of a herd of elk, she kept so still. After about 15-20 seconds though, that big long neck started to wobble, and a few seconds later fell over flat on the deck. I got up and began moving down across the meadow. Got about half way there, and her head came back up and then crashed down again. She saw me coming and struggled to stand but only managed to get her front feet under her before she immediately fell over backwards and rolled about 20 yds down the mountain and further into the trees. When I got to where she had been bedded, it was clear that although I had not hit the spine, I had punched a major blood vessel. So much blood. People joke about a blood trail that Ray Charles could follow, but in this case it was literally true. No need to see it, as I could smell the blood in the air.

Looked down through the trees and spotted her on the ground where she had come to rest from the tumble, about 20 yds downhill. As I moved toward her, she tried to stand again. She was dead, but just hadn't come to terms with it yet. I put a second shot thru her lungs to hasten the inevitable, though I do not believe that I hastened it by much more than a few seconds. I think that had I waited a minute before heading down the mountain initially, I would have found her dead right where she had been shot.

The haul out was an experience. Only about 1/2 mile to the truck, as the magpie flies. But about 1,000 feet down. At least it was down. Had it been up, I'd still be out there. Took about 4 hours for me to get her down the first 600 yards. Sometimes I was dragging her down the mountain over trees and rocks through the snow, sometimes it was the other way around. Right at dark, the ravine I had been dragging her down dumped over a 10 foot cliff. Buttoned her up and went home, as I did not believe that negotiating her over that sort of obstacle, alone, in the dark, was prudent. Turns out that was a good call. Came back the next morning with a buddy and a come-along, and it still took us the better part of three hours to get her down that last 200 yards (and 250 ft vertical). Over two more cliffs. Across the creek. Back up the hill to the truck.

Technical details - 20"barrel (Lilja). 120 gr TTSX. 28.75 gr TAC on Hornady brass, CCI BR-4 primers. Not a published load. Duplicate at your own risk.
                  Sounds like you earned that elk. I have a chain saw winch for such occasions.Great hunting story.

Comment

• Blacklab
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2012

Congrats
                    Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........

Comment

• Hattrick
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2014

nice!

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Wow, u went thru a lot of work on that elk- congrats Ulll !

Comment

• pkee
                          Bloodstained
                          • Nov 2014

Great store . thanks for the load data .

Comment

• lamrith
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2014

Awesome and thanks for sharing the story. Sounds like the grendel got it done no issues at all!
                            Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
                            18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
                            SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
                            16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
                            Anderson Pistol lower:
                            16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
                            6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• deer hunter
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2014

Elk steaks sound great. Congrats.

Comment

Working...
                              X