• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • achristian8
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

SOLD Liberty Barrel and Bolt Combo

I have an 18" Liberty barrel and matched bolt for sale or trade. It is a 5r stainless steel barrel with mid length gas. It has a very nice black ceramic coating. It came with the upper I bought from Runner Runner guns and I am selling it to buy a longer rifle gassed Shilen Barrel. The barrel has 260 rounds through it and shot 3/4 moa with nosler B.T. and benchmark powder. It fires hornady factory loads very well too. I will sell the barrel, bolt, a2 flash hider, and mid length gas tube for 175.00 or trade for ammo, brass, bullets or a prs stock. Just let me know what you have and thanks for looking.
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 12-12-2014, 05:08 AM.
    Adam
  • wideglidejoe
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2014

I'm new to this forum and I'm new to 6.5 Grendel, so please bear with me. I might be interested in your barrel and parts, but what is the big advantage of rifle length gas over mid gas on the 6.5 ? I'm in the market for parts, but I don't want to jump in too quickly on a mid gas barrel then regret it later and wish I'd bought rifle length gas.

You were getting good groups on this barrel, how does Liberty stack up to Shilen? I've had Shilen barrels on bolt guns in years past but I'm not familiar with Liberty.

Thanks in advance for educating me!
    Joe

Edit: OK, I just did a cram course on the Liberty/Satern barrels debate. Guess I shoulda did some research before posting, huh? Still, it sounds like your particular barrel groups pretty well, at least with the loads you mentioned! Is the bolt with your barrel the correct depth? I've read about Grendel bolts at 130, 135 & 138 depth.

Thanks again, I'm on a steep learning curve on the 6.5 G.
    Last edited by wideglidejoe; 12-05-2014, 03:46 AM. Reason: Update

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

The liberty mentioned has a mid length gas system due to the shorter barrel length. 18" barrels with rifle length gas systems are often difficult to get running properly, due to the reduced dwell time (short distance from gas port to muzzle).

By no means do the liberty barrels compare to the shilens. The liberty is an entry level, button rifled barrel. Moreover, depending on the chambering, it will either be chambered as a "Grendel ii", or potentially be short throated. If short throated, it could limit your use of some factory ammo, as some of those barrels have been known to cause high pressures and stuck rounds. I'm sure achristian8 will let you know what the chamber configuration is, and whether or not he's experienced any issues.

Now, having said all that, there have been favorable reports with these barrels, and some have reported good accuracy.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• achristian8
        Warrior
        • Jun 2014

These are some of the groups with the nosler b.t. Smallest group with the factory amax was a little over 1 inch. That was the very first day I shot it so it may be better after firing it some more.
        Attached Files
        Adam

Comment

• achristian8
          Warrior
          • Jun 2014

The Liberty barrel shot hornady amax, sst, and wolf ammo with no problems and my 120 gr. nosler handloads were loaded to 2.260 and shot great. I saw no indication that my barrel had a short throat. I am going to a rifle length Shilen barrel because it is a higher grade barrel and I have a bolt gun with a Shilen that shoots in the .20s. The rifle length gas on the shilen will allow me to use the handguard I want to use too. I am not sure how to measure the bolt but would be glad to do that if you can tell me how. I know there are alot of debates about liberty barrels but this barrel hasnt had any problems at all and is pretty accuate for a entry level barrel. I will post some pictures of the barrel as soon as I can.
          Adam

Comment

• lead chucker
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

I'll take it. PM me payment info please

Comment

• achristian8
              Warrior
              • Jun 2014

barrel is sold to lead chucker. thanks
              Adam

Comment

• lead chucker
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

Just wanted to say I received the barrel from achristion8 Tuesday! Super nice guy and great to deal with. Shipped super fast.

Comment

• achristian8
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2014

Thanks for the comments.
                  Adam

Comment

Working...
                  X