• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Lightweight scope for mountain rifle

I'm mulling over various scopes for a lightweight mountain rifle...

I just recently bought a Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP scope...really nice and I like the illumination (necessary for low light use, particularly in dark timber).

However, it is an 18.6 oz scope (and I have other plans for it).

I'd like to get down to 12-14 oz with a scope with approx 2-8x magnication.

Candidates:
    1. Leupold VX-R 2-7x32 (12.7 oz)
    2. Leupold VX-6 1-6x24 (14.6 oz)
    3. Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 (12.0 oz)
    4. Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 (12.7 oz)
    5. Vortex Diamond HP 2-8x32 (15.9 oz)

Issue: I've ordered a Nightforce Direct Mount (for R700 LA; which only comes in 30mm rings). What is the impact of using Delrin Scope Ring Reducers in order to utilize the Swarovski 1" tubes?

If you have one of the above scopes, I'd like to get your opinion. If you know of another good quality scope that meets my specs, then please share.

While I really like the tactical milling type reticles, it is hard to see the fine cross hairs on them in dark timber unless they are illuminated.
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!
  • TacBlade
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2014

I have the Leupold VX-R and love it!!! I also have put the VX-R 4-12 on an AR15 and it's my primary Coyote gun.

Comment

• BjornF16
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Well, one of my potential "issues" is resolved: I can get a Near Mfg. "Alpha mount" (similar to NF Direct Mount) for a 1" scope. It apparently weighs less than 4 oz (compared to 5 oz for NF).

Now, which scope?

Comment

• am4966
        Chieftain
        • Jul 2014

Sent a pm
        12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
        Surge - Rugged Suppressor
        Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• BjornF16
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Hard choices...I've handled the Swarovskis...really light and nice glass. I suspect their plex reticle might work but I was really impressed by the Leopold VX-R Patrol scopes.

I ended up getting the VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 because of the red dot illumination, (it was only 2 oz heavier than Swarovski) and it had the tactical milling reticle.

I brought it home and compared to my Viper PST 4-16x50. I was a little surprised to find that from 1 hour until sunset through civil twilight the Leopold had a brighter picture when viewing a "target" at 300 yards. I lost usable viewing in the PST first (surprising since it was 50mm objective versus 40mm for the Leupold).

I'll have to clean the Vortex to make sure it wasn't some sort of film on the lenses...

Comment

• am4966
            Chieftain
            • Jul 2014

Nothing on the Vortex lens, Leupolds newest lens features are just that much better. I'd love it if they added 1 more scope to the patrol line. Like a 4-12 or even better 3-12. I'd also like for being them to take be there 1-4 and make it 1-5 since its not a true 1x as it stands. This is just my opinion
            Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• BjornF16
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Is the VX-R and VX-R Patrol glass the same?

Also, the VX-R 3-9x scope says it is actually 3.3-8.6x magnification; while the Patrol 3-9x says it is 3-9x magnification on Leopold site...are they rounding on the Patrol specs or does it have different guts (and not just different reticle)?

Comment

• am4966
                Chieftain
                • Jul 2014

Glass is the same and they are probably rounding. But that is a practice that a lot of companies do, except for the high end lines. I look at like this, you could have a higher Mag optic but the glass is of lower quality of another scope and you can see the same at 9 power that it takes the other brand 12 power. I believe that you pay for what you get in optics and depending on what your needs are you might as well just save a few more pennies to get what you want. Since you'll be happier in the long run.

I'm in the process of trying to decide what I want on my finished Grendel sbr. I know ever one runs the 1-4ish or red dots. But I think I want a 1-6 or 2-8 or 2-7 I have time to decide lol

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Sniper338
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2014

I have heard from many sources that vortex scopes that are lower end than the Viper PST are not good at all.. The PST is good and ones above that... but thats it..

My other opinion is NEVER use spacers to reduce ring size when mounting a scope. They do not work good enough. buy the right ring if thats what you got to do.

Comment

• BjornF16
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
                    Glass is the same and they are probably rounding. But that is a practice that a lot of companies do, except for the high end lines.
                    The only reason I ask is because Leopold publishes 3.3-8.6x for the VX-R, but 3-9x for the VX-R Patrol...so it appears they are not being consistent. I know they all round in their scope naming, but, as you say, the better companies publish the actual magnification.

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
                    I'm in the process of trying to decide what I want on my finished Grendel sbr. I know ever one runs the 1-4ish or red dots. But I think I want a 1-6 or 2-8 or 2-7 I have time to decide lol
                    I have a 1.5-8x on my lightweight Grendel, with a great reticle (except not illuminated), but it is a Minox. I'd love to see a 1.25-6x in the VX-R Patrol line...

Comment

• Kilco
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2016

Resurrecting an old thread here, But I recently purchased a vx2 2-7x33 and a aero precision mount for my recent 16" hunting build. Revamping the build slightly for sheer weight loss. Using a Odin Works 16" ultralite tube, the entire build with new scope and mount are just barely over 7 lbs. Going to add some pictures to my original build thread.

Ive noticed lately that there hasn't been many post over a lightweight minded sheer hunting build in a "mountain" style configuration. This is the basis for my build, as I built it to be a walking/hunting gun with 350-400 yard capabilities.

I have scoffed at the Leupold CDS system for years.. BUT within 400, MAYBE 500 yards with my confirmed drops on steel at 50 yard intervals, I believe I can give Leupold enough data to make me a viable turret cap for the hunting season with the one turn zero stop feature.

When I sat down and thought out my IDEAL walking/hiking hunting rifle, I simply couldn't come up with anything more efficient than a 16" Grendel AR build with weight, ruggedness and quality U.S made parts. REALLY looking forward to this hunting season!

Comment

• BjornF16
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

I like light...that has been my 14.5" lightweight build. I've replaced the 1.5-8 Minox with 1-6x24 Leopold CDR with Firedot Special Purpose Reticle.

I took this gun (with Minox) to BoomerShoot a few years back shooting 400-700 yds.

My build: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ll=1#post66703

Comment

• biodsl
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2011

Cool that you have one of those barrels, Bjorn. It sure would be sweet if Bill A. would do another run of his Ultra-Light. For those who weren't around at the time. http://www.gunblast.com/Alexander-65Lightweight.htm

"...the little carbine would be perfection as a hunting arm. Handling better and faster than a lever action carbine, while carrying the power and inherent accuracy to deliver precise shots at several hundred yards, this is a very versatile little weapon. It would be a near perfect walking varminter, taking vermin and predators with ease. For a whitetail rifle, whether in the deep woods or across open fields, I can think of nothing better, especially if the hunter is afoot." ~ Jeff Quinn
                          Last edited by biodsl; 07-14-2017, 03:45 AM. Reason: Included quote
                          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Kilco
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                            I like light...that has been my 14.5" lightweight build. I've replaced the 1.5-8 Minox with 1-6x24 Leopold CDR with Firedot Special Purpose Reticle.

I took this gun (with Minox) to BoomerShoot a few years back shooting 400-700 yds.

My build: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ll=1#post66703
                            That's was a great read! How's that rifle been shooting for you?!

Last pieces I needed to finish mine as a lightweight carry hunting rig was scope and mount... and that was the most fun yet frustrating time I've ever had shopping for a scope..

As much as I have enjoyed taking the little 16" Grendel out to 810 yards a few times and cranking the turrets, when the dust settled i had to complete it for its original purpose.. last summer I had build a 20" Shilen Grendel, and as fun as it was, it was NO FUN to lug around the woods and fields at 4am in the morning till 5pm at night..

I had much more of a budget than i ended up spending, and I'm FAR from a Leupold guy, but when i factored in weight, speed, ease of use, capped windage turret, low light visibility, and reliability, based on reviews and feedback the little vx-2 2-7 fit the bill. At only 10oz with a 3oz mount, that really polished the build off.. i almost picked up a vx-r 2-7, but luckily I got my hands on one first, and the reticle was too chunky, and it would require me to send it to Leupold custom shop for a CDS system.. Same with the vx3i 2.5-8x36.. I would have needed to send that in for a CDS turret AND reticle..

Really looked hard at the Viper PST 2.5-10x32 ffp , but it was just too much of a porker for a super lightweight build, and I was trying to avoid exposed turrets (the gen 2 is even heavier).. the Custom CDS dials have a one turn zero stop feature, and they are quite low profile, I can live with that.

I'm having a damn time trying to figure out how to post normalpictures on this forum with my android S8 without using drive..
                            Last edited by Kilco; 07-14-2017, 03:54 AM.

Comment

• DJudge
                              Bloodstained
                              • Feb 2017

I'd have to choose either the Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 Ballistic FireDot or the VXII 2-7x33 LR Duplex Reticle. I've had a VXII 2-7x33 for 30+yrs and it's still one of the best scopes I've ever had and has amazing clarity...

Comment

Working...
                              X