• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ramslammer
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2014

New Donor rifle

G'Day All
    It breaks my heart to see a rifle laying in mortal agony due to neglect and not being fed that life saving medicine called "rust preventing oil". But the up side is the parts can be used to breath new life into a another form and create a beautiful new beginning.

So my mate Camp Buddy bought two rifles sight unseen and they weren't worth seeing lol. One of them was a Weatherby Varmintmaster and it looks like the outside had been stored in a Humidicrib. I managed to drive him mad till he sold it to me. The Stock isn't too bad so I'll leave it for now.
    Fortunately the action hasn't got too much of that soul destroying stuff called rust on it and the Doctor (he really is) reckons he can save it and do a good old fashioned rust bluing job on it for me. His bluing is scary nice but takes time.
    The.224 weatherby boltface is only .010" too small so a quick spin will fix that. Magazine is a single stack setup and feeds Grendels like shoveling food into a hungry kid. Barrel will be from one of our local makers but TSE is looking good due to price and past experience but they don't start production until Jan 16. A cobber of mine has a .264 LBC reamer (just saying please don't start the old debate). 400 new cases and Wilson Dies downstairs already.
    Only need a set of Weaver Bases (no 36 and no 415) which are hard to get here in AUS to hold the 3-9 Khales and I'll be able to sleep easier knowing I've transplanted some life into an aging beauty.
    Makes my heart glow!!!!
    Juddy
  • Sputnik
    Warrior
    • May 2013

What about sanding, degreasing and then Cerakote? Either DIY air dry Cerakote or heat cured.

Comment

• ramslammer
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2014

G'Day Sputnik
      I want to blue this one and with save Cerakote for something I'm putting a synthetic stock on.
      Juddy

Comment

• Von Gruff
        Chieftain
        • Apr 2012

I have the Sako profile TSE barrel on my GM and it is a barrel that would stand with the best. Watching to see this one comeing together.
        http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
        Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• am4966
          Chieftain
          • Jul 2014

Can't wait for the finished product!
          12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
          Surge - Rugged Suppressor
          Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• customcutter
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Before and after pics would be great as well as some during the build.

Comment

• ramslammer
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2014

G'Day
              I'm hoping to get pics during the build. But I've said that on the last three and get involved and forget camera lol. Hope to start after I've been to the early Australia Day Silhouette matches and need to finish the .30 Apache I'm working on.
              Juddy

Comment

Working...
              X