• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heywood
    Warrior
    • Aug 2013

day in the back forty.

I finally got to set up a range in my back yard. image.jpg
    I set up at 200 yards off the bench for a quick three shot group (123 gr Amax) and was very happy with the result. I then took a quick three shot group from kneeling. (123 gr. SST)Opened up a bit so I need some work there.image.jpg
    I set up a plate gong (I made out of 8.5" X 12" elevater weights with a hard rubber grommet in between them to make them sing) at 850 yards and settled into prone and fired a five shot string. image.jpgFour out of five, not bad I guess, but I want to work on positional shooting. It is a lot more fun than shooting from a bench. It was uncomfortable as the sun was at two o'clock I also learned why people use adjustable cheek pieces. I refuse to get a PRS and ruin the almost perfect balance of this rifle. So I'm open to other suggestions.
    I set up a few gongs at different ranges and camoflauged them so I could leave them. In the top picture there are five(2 white and 3 tan) starting at 750 yards. There is a lot of vegetation around them so you can not see them unless you are right in front of them and a ravine prevents that except from my shooting position which is almost too far with the un aided eye.
    Any way I built this rifle to use in long range target practice in different shooting positions and I really like it. I have a dpms 308 sass that is so damn heavy it basically only rides a bench or goes prone. This grendel leaves it behind in every aspect.
    All in all it was a good way to spend an hour or two in the backyard.

Btw. I used Balistic ae on my iPad to get me on target with my chrono'd factory sst rounds, it was right on.
    Last edited by Heywood; 12-11-2014, 04:36 AM.
    quis posuit in mea ocreis bologna!
  • lead chucker
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Great shooting, looks like you had a great day in the back yard for sure!

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

That's a shooter right there if you are getting sub-1" at 200yds. What barrel length is it? Yes, the DPMS LR308 SASS is a beast. The 24" LR308 is heavier than a SAKO TRG .338 LM bolt gun, and sucks to carry or shoot from positions.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Heywood
        Warrior
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        That's a shooter right there if you are getting sub-1" at 200yds. What barrel length is it? Yes, the DPMS LR308 SASS is a beast. The 24" LR308 is heavier than a SAKO TRG .338 LM bolt gun, and sucks to carry or shoot from positions.
        The barrel is a Lilja 740. I got 1/4 MOA @ 100 yds on my first range trip so I knew the rifle was up to it but wasn't so sure about the shooter.
        quis posuit in mea ocreis bologna!

Comment

Working...
        X