• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wraith1516
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

108gr lapua scenar load help

A friend gave me a box of 108gr lapua scenar shot a few with my pet load it didn't like them (lapua case 30 gr 8208xbr cci #41 primers) with 100gr Barnes or nosler ballistic tips it cronys 2713 fps my ar loves them half m.o.a. or better.The powders I have are benchmark varget and 8208xbr. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    rifle specs are prs stock, mega mkm 15" upper, tac ammo bolt, 20"black hole weaponry barrelwith rifle length gas system
  • Sniper338
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

You need to start with finding your seating depth... after you get a good length to seat the bullets then work up loads, after you find the best powder charge then you can tweek the seating depth again to see if it helps any...

8208 is probably the better powder of those for the grendel... start low and work up.... id start several grains lower than your pet load.

Comment

• SG4247
      Warrior
      • Aug 2013

Be advised it is real easy to compress the powder load using the 108 or 123 scenar in the Grendel case. I would guess that 30 gr of 8208 would probably be compressed. If it is in fact compressed, it will probably will not shoot well. It will have a bunch of recoil for sure.

These scenar bullets are so long, that even at 2.260" OAL, there is just not much space for powder.

I have tried it many times (with no success) in terms of 1/2 MOA or better accuracy combined with good velocity using 108/123 scenars.

Other folks on the forum have had better success.

Good luck!
      NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• Sniper338
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

True ^

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

I have exceptional loads with VihtaVuori powders, and interestingly with BLC2, though I'm on vacation and can't post the loads. 1/2 MOA no problem with 108s.

Comment

• wraith1516
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Its winter slow at work no hours so to broke to buy a powder that might or might not work of the 3 I have the consensus is that 8208xbr is the best bet

Comment

• SG4247
              Warrior
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
              I have exceptional loads with VihtaVuori powders, and interestingly with BLC2, though I'm on vacation and can't post the loads. 1/2 MOA no problem with 108s.
              I would like to see those recipes bwaites, as my 108/123 scenar stock is really healthy.

Do you recall which VV powder you were using?
              NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
                Warrior
                • Feb 2012

I've been sitting on done 108gr and 123gr scenar also. How much jump do they like? What load with blc-2 are you using.
                sigpic

Comment

• Fredman
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

I tried four different loads using 108s and 8208. I think the load was low 27s to 28 or 28.2g. Need to check. Each group was in the .4". Oal 2.260". I put three through my chrono and min/max was 7fps! I also have very good luck with N140.

Comment

Working...
                  X