• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rockytoprj
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2013

Bullet choice for deer?

I'm thinking of trying a different bullet for deer. I have been using 123 set's but having bullet blow ups and sometimes no exit. Which would be a better choice Nosler 120 BT or Barnes 100 ttsx?
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

After shooting the 120 grain Nosler BT and 100 grain Barnes TTSX into water I think you want the TTSX. The BT behaves in a similar manner to the SST. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Kikn
      Warrior
      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
      After shooting the 120 grain Nosler BT and 100 grain Barnes TTSX into water I think you want the TTSX. The BT behaves in a similar manner to the SST. Just my 2 cents.
      I'll second that post

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

I too would say Barnes.

My issue with them is cost. Even reloading with barnes is expensive.
        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Sniper338
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

Choot em in the head and it dont matter what you use. Even a .22 lr works.

Comment

• rockytoprj
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2013

Taxidermist charges extra for that.

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by rockytoprj View Post
              taxidermist charges extra for that.
              lol.
              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• lrgrendel
                Warrior
                • Jul 2013

The 6.5mm x 140 g Lapua Naturalis will do a better job than most out to 200 yds. (Due to lack of velocity when reloading.) Pure copper bullet (lead free)

Comment

• FW Conch
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2014

The Naturalis is a very long bullet, and because of the very blunt nose, would have to be seated deep in the case, taking up powder space, and the length would also dictate a fast twist barrel. Even though my chamber has a generous throat, I think this bullet would seat to deep to appeal to my Grendel?

JMHO :-)).....Jim

Comment

• Drift
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2014

I have loaded and shot 120gr NBTs and 100gr Barnes into deer from the Grendel. The NBT work exactly like the Hornady123s; same blow up maybe a little more accurate. The 100gr Barnes were (I think) some minor variation on the ttsx and were a better bullet. By "better" I mean less recoil, and complete pass through; but the deer were just as dead. Look to some of the 129gr hunting bullets also.

Comment

• pkee
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2014

I just got my copy of " 6.5 Grendel reloading volume 2 " reloading for hunting . It has some very good information . So i was wondering has anyone tried the heaver bullets ? Like the 150g or the 160g ?
                      I live way, way down south in Texas and we have Nilgai running around so i need a bullet that will do the job on a cow size animal .

Comment

• Joseph5
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2012

A 120gr GMX, 120gr TTSX, 130gr TSX, or any of the 140gr lead core bullets would work quite well for Nilgi or any other larger critters. You are not going to be dealing with excessive velocities with any of these bullets so they will all penetrate really well. You would have to be more concerned with making sure they didn't fall below their respective minimum velocity thresholds for expanding. The Nosler 120gr Partition would work good also. The Swift A-frame would be a good choice also. You can duplicate 6.5x54 Mannlicher ballistics with the Grendel and it was used very successfully in Africa for shooting everything from gazelle to Giraffe and Elephant By W.M. D. Bell.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by FW Conch View Post
                          The Naturalis is a very long bullet, and because of the very blunt nose, would have to be seated deep in the case, taking up powder space, and the length would also dictate a fast twist barrel. Even though my chamber has a generous throat, I think this bullet would seat to deep to appeal to my Grendel?

Thought I might try and answer your question. Assuming you have a "sammi" spec chamber I see no reason why you can't load to the data I include in this reply. I am sure some one will chime in if not correct.

I have only loaded this bullet at the bottom end of the AA load data with 27.0 gr Varget. All the exact published components were used. I used a chrongraph which came out at 2200 FPS. Please also see the JBM ballistics I have included. ( IE 955.5 FT/LB at 200 yds.)

This load easily shot within an MOA. Plenty good enough for ME out to 200-300 yds.

BTW I shoot a 24" 1/9 TWIST and the twist rate was not mentioned by ROCKYTOPRJ who began this thread.

Hope this helps.
                          Last edited by LRRPF52; 12-18-2014, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• REB
                            Bloodstained
                            • Oct 2013

Has anyone tried the 100 or 120 partition? I'm thinking they should have better expansion than the TTSX at Grendel velocities and still hold together. Im not sure how well they would feed from the magazine though with there exposed blunt tip.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

I have bought the Nosler Partitions in 100 grain and 125 grain but have not loaded any. I'm not sure what the BC is for the 100 grain Barnes TTSX but they shoot good out of my 16" Grendel. I just checked the Nosler site and the 100 grain Partition BC .325 SD .205. The 125 Nolser Partition BC .449 SD .256 and Nosler shows expanded partitions from 1800 FPS to 3200 FPS. I also checked the specs on the 100 grain Nosler BT Hunting, BC .350 SD .205. The Nosler 120 grain Hunting BC .458 SD .246 with expanded bullets from 1800 FPS to 3200 FPS.

THE Hornady SST 123 grain is listed BC .510 SD .252 which is still better than the Nosler's or other cup and core bullets like the Sierra 120 grain Pro Hunter. The Hornady 129 grain SST BC .458 SD .264. The Sierra 120 grain Pro Hunter list BC by velocity .368-.386 SD .246. There is no minimum velocity for the Sierra but Sierra indicates it is designed for lower pressure 6.5 caliber cartridges and cautions against shooting game at close range with high velocity cartridges like the .264 Win Mag.

I just checked the Barnes site and the 100 grain TTSX BC .359 SD .205. The 120 grain TSX BC .412 SD .246. I found a post on another forum where someone e-mailed Barnes and requested the minimum velocity needed for TTSX expansion. Barnes responded with 2000 FPS.
                              Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-17-2014, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X