• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

New Lilja Grendel Build, 4 Range Reports Update

I put together another blaster today, and will test it out tomorrow.

It has a Lilja 17 5/8" barrel, with the Wasp contour. I'll post pics up after I get back from the trip. W/o optics, it weighs 6lbs 2oz.

With a Viper PST 2.5-10x32, it weighs 7lbs 12oz., and I didn't even try to put it on a diet.

I used an Aero Precision no forward malfunction assist upper. We'll see how it goes.

Upper Receiver Group

Lilja 17.625" Wasp barrel with SAAMI chamber cut by AA, AA barrel extension, blended and polished by me (gas port diameter is .076")
    Precision Firearms/Maxim Grendel bolt, 9130, with ejector radiused and phosphated by me
    Precision Firearms Black Nitrided full weight bolt carrier (very smooth, beautifully made)

Aero Precision no Malfunction Assist Forward upper receiver, FDE Cerakoted
    BCM Gunfighter Charge Handle
    Sadlak lo-profile gas block, indexes off the barrel shoulder, Red Loc-tite'd
    Custom gas system length gas tube made by AA for this barrel
    Precision Firearms black nitride flash hider, with helical slots, 5/8x24

Midwest Industries Gen II SS Handguard, FDE anodized, and FDE Cerakoted

Lower Receiver Group
    PSA lower FDE Cerakoted, color filled
    Polished standard trigger, bobbed hammer, JP Springs
    JP Silent Captured Spring
    M4 Receiver Extension Tube, FDE Cerakote
    Magpul MOE+ (elastomer covered polymer, feels like rubber)
    VLTOR Clubfoot FDE stock

Sighting System
    Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 MRAD w/zero stop, SF, Front Focal, Illuminated
    NigthForce Unimount 20 MOA one-piece base, ring screws tightened to 18 inch pounds, base screws to 65 inch pounds
    Bubble level Shoe Goo'd to back of scope base
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 05-04-2015, 05:33 PM.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • Blacklab
    Warrior
    • Mar 2012

looking forward to pics
    Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........

Comment

• Heywood
      Warrior
      • Aug 2013

Can't wait for the report and pictures.
      quis posuit in mea ocreis bologna!

Comment

• danm
        Warrior
        • Aug 2014

Sounds pretty light, I haven't weighed mine but would like to get it closer to my 5.56 upper weight. If I just switch out my YHM handguard with a BCM KMR I'd save a half pound, think that might be next on the list

Comment

• Kikn
          Warrior
          • Nov 2011

Curious about the aero precision upper receiver...what kind of quality is it? Did you have to true the face at all or modify it any?

Comment

• Sniper338
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Kikn View Post
            Curious about the aero precision upper receiver...what kind of quality is it? Did you have to true the face at all or modify it any?

Aero precision uppers are good to go. Trust me. I run a stripped one i got on my grendel.. check out my build.. its the same manufacturer that makes most of the other ones... just a different name stamped on it for the seller..

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Were you thinking of trying the adj. gas key with this build by any chance?

Comment

• biodsl
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                I put together another blaster today, and will test it out tomorrow. It has a Lilja 17 5/8" barrel, with the Wasp contour. I'll post pics up after I get back from the trip.
                Tease. Looking forward to the report.
                Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• am4966
                  Chieftain
                  • Jul 2014

I have been thinking about getting a Aero set but the ST cut lower and the new upper that has the rail nut already attached.
                  12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                  Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                  Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• 65Whelen
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

I'm curious, what scope mount did you use? Looking forward to pics and a range report.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

I used the NightForce UniMount, which I really like. Height above bore is lower, so it's easier to get a sight picture. This one handles really well, very lightweight, using the Lilja barrel with Wasp contour.

I also have a PF flash hider on it that is nitrided black, so it doesn't get defaced when attaching with a wrench. I highly recommend the PF FH for this reason, and it's a great unit. Probably the nicest quality flash hider I own.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Kikn View Post
                        First thing I did was check the squareness of the upper with my facing tool, and it was already square. I had that happen with AA and Colt uppers as well.

I bedded the barrel on this one, and Red Loc-tited the gas block. A point on gas blocks: This Sadlak block indexed off the shoulder perfectly, so I didn't need to space it, but on another one I just did, I had to space it off the shoulder. Always measure each individual gas block and port location, even if they come from the same company.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Blacklab
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2012

Very nice build.........
                          Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........

Comment

• albireo
                            Unwashed
                            • Oct 2013

Was your Lilja barrel part of the original group buy or did you order it later? I ask because Lilja does not list the 304 as an option on their website now. Looking forward to the range report.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by albireo View Post
                              Was your Lilja barrel part of the original group buy or did you order it later? I ask because Lilja does not list the 304 as an option on their website now. Looking forward to the range report.
                              Yes, original group buy barrel. I had it short-chambered by AA, with an AA reamer used, and an AA extension. This brought the gas port back about .6", so Bill made me a custom gas tube to match this oddball gas system length. One concern I had before going to the range was the amount of dwell time, and how it was going to affect the cyclic rate (too fast). I started off with the JP Silent Captured Spring recoil/buffer/bumper system as a baseline.

I had no functioning problems, however my ejection was about 2:30, which is a symptom of being gassed a bit too hard, which was no surprise. Brass wasn't treated badly, but I'm thinking about getting the Rubber City Armory adjustable gas key to replace or built up another bolt carrier with. You can dial down the gas at the key, instead of messing with the gas block.

Next steps are to get the cyclic tamed down some, and develop some loads.

When I pick up one of my soft rifle cases with this in it, it feels empty. I didn't even use a carbon fiber handguard either. If I fluted the fore end, it would be even lighter.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X