• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigbear_98
    Warrior
    • Aug 2013

123gr Sierra matchking.

Anyone use them? How have they compared to hornady's amaxs?

I searched the forum and looked 5 pages back on the reloading section and didn't see anything.
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bigbear_98 View Post
    Anyone use them? How have they compared to hornady's amaxs?

I searched the forum and looked 5 pages back on the reloading section and didn't see anything.
    BB:

There is a bunch on both bullets but they are hidden in threads. The bottom line is like most things involving guns, the guys who love the 123 SMK will swear it is the best going. The ones who love the AMAX will swear just as much that it is the best bullet going. The current thought is that the 123 AMAX has an ogive more tuned to the limitations of a AR-15 magazine length than the 123 SMK.

I think it is easier to get the AMAX to shoot consistently than the 123 SMKs.

LR55

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

They shoot very good in my rifles using 27.8 grains of IMR XBR8208.

Comment

• Fredman
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Sierra makes fine bullets! One thing I have noticed is the 123s seated at mag length jump farther than my Lapua 123s and 120 NBTs. So, a shorter chamber may work well with these.

Comment

• acourvil
          Warrior
          • Dec 2013

Any significant difference in velocities with any of the 123g bullets? Do they have about the same bearing surface?

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by acourvil View Post
            Any significant difference in velocities with any of the 123g bullets? Do they have about the same bearing surface?
            Define 'significant'. I view significant for the Grendel to be 100 fps. It is not a race car with guys considering 2600 + - 50 fps to be very fast for a Grendel firing 120 or 123 grain bullets.

Given my definition of 100 fps, you won't see a difference given the same charge of the same powder.

I do contend you will have a better chance of getting the AMAX to shoot well than the 123 SMK.

LR55

Comment

• acourvil
              Warrior
              • Dec 2013

O.k., thanks. I would hve said 50fps at the same charge would be significant. I have a very accurate load with the 123 scenars running at 2500 and have been going back and forth on whether I want to spend the time with another 123 pill to see if I can goose the velocity enough to be worthwhile.

Comment

• bigbear_98
                Warrior
                • Aug 2013

O.k., thanks. I would hve said 50fps at the same charge would be significant. I have a very accurate load with the 123 scenars running at 2500 and have been going back and forth on whether I want to spend the time with another 123 pill to see if I can goose the velocity enough to be worthwhile.
                This is exactly my reasoning for asking. The amax and sst have been like lazer beams out of my rifle and running 2550ish. I was wondering if it was worth messing with a different bullet.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

I agree with you on the 50 fps being a better definition of significance in terms of velocity when using the same charge and same bullet weight. Right on the edge.

I would say that you may decide on a different bullet if one showed better accuracy at distances from 300 yards and beyond. I think that is where you will see big differences between bullet designs.

The Scenars were pretty expensive when I bought a bunch of them a number of years ago. I bet they have not gone down in price, either. You may want to test the Sierra's and AMAX just in case the Scenars get too expensive to shoot.

LR55

Comment

• BIPMaster
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2014

For my rifle the Scenars have shot the best followed by the AMAX 123s. I also tried the 123gr SMK and Nosler CC but neither of them shot as well as the first two.

Comment

Working...
                    X