What is the forums longest Grendel shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sniper338
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

What is the forums longest Grendel shot?

Honestly here, HONESTLY! What is the longest shooting sequence anyone here on the forum has done with a Grendel? Say 5 shot group, all hits on the target, accurately, and doping in for it...

I'd like to see how far everyone is pushing it accurately... (THIS DOES NOT MEAN 20 SHOTS AND 5 HITS, NOR 1 HIT POT SHOTS!!!!)

Mine is 850 yards still to date, havent had a chance to try further yet...
    Last edited by Sniper338; 12-20-2014, 10:36 PM.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

I had 4 out of 5 at 1200yds, which really surprised me. There was no wind, but I had really figured my little 16" Grendel was only a 700yd carbine at best. This was at 4400ft ASL, 80 F. 14.4 Mils, 123gr Factory A-MAX.

I think the tight 7.5 twist of the 16" barrel helps with stab factor. Here's the area I was in from another trip, but this target is at 400yds, as seen through my 16":

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lrgrendel
      Warrior
      • Jul 2013

Somebody shoots beyond a thousand yards from memory, maybe up to 1200 yards but at altitude! 4000 or 5000'.
      I shot on Thursday out to 1000 yds, wind was all over the place, I was able to consistently hit a full size steel silhouette. Was also hitting smaller targets but not consistently. Sea level, 60 deg F, 2600 FPS, 123 AMAX.

Not sure if this helps but 800 yds is probably my maximum when it comes to hitting a smaller target consistently.

Comment

• lrgrendel
        Warrior
        • Jul 2013

Sorry guys we just posted at the same time.
        LRRPF52 was the guy!!

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

There was a forum member who posted 1300yd groups on steel up in Idaho, and a lot of people had a hard time believing it.

At the end of the day, we're pushing 100-123gr target bullets with 27-32gr of powder charge, so while the expectation shouldn't be unrealistic, don't be surprised at what it can do with the right set-up, especially up here in thin air.

Longest hunting shot we know of is 752yds on antelope with a 22" Lilja barreled Precision Firearms AR15, with the 123gr A-MAX. He registered the shot at 727yds before the herd came through, so he had solid data on exactly what was going on with his trajectory.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Here is some great video from a forum member shooting 800-1100yds.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lrgrendel
              Warrior
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              Here is some great video from a forum member shooting 800-1100yds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVMUbpTU8CA
              Great video link!

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

20 shots at 1000 yards in F Class Open match. Score 184 3 Xs, a few 10s. Completely blew a wind shift and threw some out on the edge for 6s. Altitude about 650 feet.
                Last edited by bwaites; 12-21-2014, 03:12 AM.

Comment

• Sniper338
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2014

Interesting... most of yall sound like your way higher up than i am. That 850 yards was at 834ft altitude. That thinner air makes a huge difference. I know there had to be a few getting it to around 1200... i havent quite pin pointed where my load goes subsonic and starts tumbling yet...

Comment

• Nukes
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    I had 4 out of 5 at 1200yds, which really surprised me. There was no wind, but I had really figured my little 16" Grendel was only a 700yd carbine at best. This was at 4400ft ASL, 80 F. 14.4 Mils, 123gr Factory A-MAX.

I think the tight 7.5 twist of the 16" barrel helps with stab factor. ...
                    Last edited by Nukes; 12-21-2014, 01:36 AM.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Sniper338 View Post
                      Interesting... most of yall sound like your way higher up than i am. That 850 yards was at 834ft altitude. That thinner air makes a huge difference. I know there had to be a few getting it to around 1200... i havent quite pin pointed where my load goes subsonic and starts tumbling yet...
                      JBM ballistics. Free program online. Just fill in the blanks!

Comment

• bigbear_98
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2013

Reading some of litz's stuff and doing a little experimenting in other calibers, stable bullets can stay stable far past transonic.

Comment

• deadeyerick
                          Bloodstained
                          • Apr 2013

Back in May, I took a long range shooting course from Bangsteel.com in Wytheville, Va. Shooting my Precision Arms Grendel out to 1100 yards. Bullet drop at that range is about 36 feet. Elevation about 2600 feet. Amazing to hit that far out, as long as you read the wind correctly

Comment

• cst
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2014

1230 yards but tough with wind ..once we're on its grouping. . 123gr scenars 2530fps out of 19" lilja..sea level ....subsonic by then but fun to shoot. Really a 700-800 yard gun

Comment

• Sniper338
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2014

I ran across some 123 lapua scenars the other day and thought to myself how those may shoot well too... but, i have a hard time messing with my load since it already shoots...

Comment

Working...
                              X