• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radian23
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2013

6.5 Grendel Wolf Gold Ammunition

I have a box of Wolf Gold 120gr Copper MPTs and four boxes of 6.5 Grendel 123gr Soft Points. I've read some of the reviews on midway and one review indicates the jackets are too soft and will cooper foul the barrel.

Anyone here have any experience with this ammunition? I was thinking of pulling the bullets and reseating something else. Then again I would rather just shoot the stuff...
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by radian23 View Post
    I have a box of Wolf Gold 120gr Copper MPTs and four boxes of 6.5 Grendel 123gr Soft Points. I've read some of the reviews on midway and one review indicates the jackets are too soft and will cooper foul the barrel.

Anyone here have any experience with this ammunition? I was thinking of pulling the bullets and reseating something else. Then again I would rather just shoot the stuff...
    Pull the Soft Points and use 120 Sierras.

You can shoot the MPT without a problem.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

The Brass from the MPT is a lot better than the early PPU brass and worth keeping separate. I have several loadings on the newer brass but he brass on the Soft Points got loose primer pockets after one reload.

Comment

• tackdriver
        Warrior
        • Feb 2013

The 120 mpt shoots good in all the uppers I have tried them in. I would love to see Wolf focus more on large quantities of this showing up in the market, it would make for a better econo round. The 120's have shot a consistent 1.25-1.5 moa in all the uppers , even got 1 moa out of one of the uppers . It would be awesome to have a steady flow of this stuff for $10-11/box, $14-15/box just isn't worth it.

Comment

• biodsl
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by tackdriver View Post
          The 120 mpt shoots good in all the uppers I have tried them in. I would love to see Wolf focus more on large quantities of this showing up in the market, it would make for a better econo round. The 120's have shot a consistent 1.25-1.5 moa in all the uppers , even got 1 moa out of one of the uppers . It would be awesome to have a steady flow of this stuff for $10-11/box, $14-15/box just isn't worth it.
          +1. Both my Sabre barrels shot MPT at 1 inch or less. I'm thinking the 1-7.5 twist (and true Grendel chamber ) might have had something to do with it.
          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• radian23
            Unwashed
            • Nov 2013

Shot the 120 grains today and they shot about an inch and a half. Didn't realize the brass was different as well. I'll be sure to keep them separate.

Comment

• BIPMaster
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2014

I have a fair amount of the 120gr MPT ammo. Shoots decently well, and the brass has held up for at least the first time I reloaded it.

Comment

• mwilkins
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2014

If anyone is in the Dallas area that likes the Wolf ammo, I would be willing to hand some over for a trade. Think I have three or four boxes. My Grendel doesn't like em and I didn't realize that the brass used large primers until after I had already tumbled, prepped brass and then tried to put small primers in them only to have them end up on my work bench.

Comment

• radian23
                  Unwashed
                  • Nov 2013

Pulled the 123gr soft points today with a bullet puller. I put 123gr Nosler CCs in their place after resizing, chamfering the necks and running the old powder through my powder measure. I'll post groups tomorrow.

Comment

• dust
                    Unwashed
                    • Sep 2014

With steel at $7-15, is that even possible?

Comment

• tackdriver
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2013

AA was selling steel for $7.99 . I really like the 120 mpt but can't justify paying $15/box when Selway has SST for $18-19. I have parted ways w/all my Wolf brass after I blew primers soon first reload. I blew primers 6 of 20 w/28.0g of xbr under a 123 amax

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

AA was selling steel for $7.99 . I really like the 120 mpt but can't justify paying $15/box when Selway has SST for $18-19. I have parted ways w/all my Wolf brass after I blew primers soon first reload. I blew primers 6 of 20 w/28.0g of xbr under a 123 amax
                        TD:

Given your load, it doesn't surprise me you blew primers. That is a hot load and the Wolf MPT brass uses large rifle primers and is not as durable as the Lapua brass.

Most of us get four to six loads off of the Wolf MPT brass using mid to upper level loads of ball powders.

LR1855

Comment

Working...
                        X