GUN ROOM - pics, ideas, designs, layout, etc!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roe
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

Ask your local building depot for blemished materials or small quantity leftovers. I have a oak packing surface (not shown), price reduced from $300 to $10 as it had a split/chip and was useless to them. The tiles same thing, leftovers. The boards for the cupboard was all blemished etc. Useless materials for them, perfectly fine for me as it is all work surfaces anyway.

I googled "british den" (or something similar) to find a suitable colour combination and painted all shelves high gloss and walls half gloss and the white walls matte to avoid glare. Painting was by far the most tedious/ time consuming part of this project.
    I'll snap some more pictures later to show some more details. Most of the stuff didn't cost much money, it was more planning and labour time.
    Last edited by Roe; 01-16-2015, 06:38 AM.

Comment

• Roe
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

Space is something I don't have too much of, so the shelves were fitted to the storage boxes.

The gunsafe was integrated

And the cases was organised in coloured boxes to easier keep track of reload status. This has not worked nearly as well as I hoped.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

You are very space- efficient for your spot. Nicely done. Wife stated that , it's my new spot - kinda like yours- on the east wall of my basement, eventually--. Thanks for all the ideas-pics. Dirty case= clean case is a great idea.. I like it- thanks Roe

I am not speaking for all Americans, yet so many have tooooo much stuffff- gun related items. I am the guilty one, _ I still have ammo .22LR from 1985.

20 guage ammo , from 1982. etc. But to find a thin walled system to store this stuff - and to reload there --- it's awesome to get the Norsk viewpoint - from Roe-......

I'm 1/2 scandanavian also!
        Last edited by sneaky one; 01-16-2015, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• 65Whelen
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
          I am not speaking for all Americans, yet so many have tooooo much stuffff- gun related items. I am the guilty one, _ I still have ammo .22LR from 1985.

20 guage ammo , from 1982. etc.
          But all that stuff is like money in the bank. I funded my first Grendel with that stuff. When I tore down my old garage to build the new one I had to move everything in it to a storage unit, what a pain in the butt. Thirty years of accumulation. I decided if I wasn't using it it had to go, got a table a the local gun show and sold off all sorts of gun stuff. Got my first Grendel and a nice Kimber out of it. There's gold on them there shelves.

Comment

• Roe
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by 65Whelen View Post
            But all that stuff is like money in the bank. I funded my first Grendel with that stuff.
            I've funded maybe half my Grendel that way (I hope...)

This is the reloading room today. By havind different depth shelves you can stash in more shelves and still keep everything accessible. "No spill" lips in the front keeps things from falling of, the shelves are more like a tray. See through boxes fro tools.

Looking the other way (there's just enough room on the floor for me to lie down). "Dumping zone" immediately inside door so I can unpack from the more spacious room outside. Lots of drying hooks in the roof. Low dB and low RPM fan to keep the air fresh and dry - you really don't want to be inside this small space with odorous chemicals, wet clothes and no ventilation.

The backside of the grey shelf hides the cleaning rods with a stainless steel L shape underneath to catch oil drip. (Tinsmith $10). The top of the shelf or the small vise is sufficient for scopemounting etc.

Magnets underneath the top shelves holds tools I want ready. Keeps room uncluttered and makes the space feel better as things are easy to find.
            Last edited by Roe; 01-18-2015, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• wheelguner
              Warrior
              • Oct 2011

You weren't by any chance a Submariner were you. You utilize space like they do aboard a sub!

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

I like the magnetic holding strips in the last picture - "slap on - pull off". You can probably store things much closer together rather than using individual slots or holding pegs like I have now. I might look for some of those here. I use clear "shoe box" size plastic bins for my brass and hand write the status of the contents on masking tape as they move through the prep process. But your printed labels and color coded boxes looks much more organized. Thanks for sharing.
                My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• Roe
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Savage Shooter View Post
                  ... and hand write the status of the contents on masking tape as they move through the prep process. But your printed labels and color coded boxes looks much more organized.
                  They look more organized, but are not. I used your system before I saw a labelwriter at work and printed some labels. It was a lot easier just writing on masking tape than trying to move the brass into the correct box - I run out of space fairly quickly if one of the steps are neglected. Stick to your system, it worked a lot better for me.

Comment

• Roe
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

Here is a video where you see the complete room and the size/nonsize. But by placing things in the right spot, most operations can be done without banging into stuff or searching in cramped spaces.

https://Longrange blog 132: Loadout ...[/url]

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2014

My Gun "Garage"

I have my "stuff" spread around the house with guns in a gun-safe in one bedroom closet and gunpowder and primers in another gun-safe in another bedroom closet for better temp and humidity control. (This is one advantage of having college age kids- lots of space now.) However, my "working space" is in my garage. It's fully insulated, so it doesn't get too unbearable in the summer and in the winter with a small space heater, I can get the garage to a comfortable 70 degrees if I turn the heater on a few hours in advance.

My street is full of young kids who actually play outside, so I keep my garage door closed most of the time, and always closed if I am working on or cleaning any of my guns. I think it's a good idea to keep their curiosity at a minimum.

I have always reloaded standing up, because I am rarely doing one task at the press for very long, so my counter height is set just for me.

CIMG4775.jpgCIMG4790.jpg

With the cabinet doors closed, there is a semblance of organization, but much less so, when opened.
                      CIMG4782.jpgCIMG4781.jpgCIMG4778.jpgCIMG4776.jpg

I have a few office supply cabinets to store brass prep equipment, empty boxes, and other "project" parts and gear. And shelving along the walls to store brass awaiting reloading, ammo boxes, gun cases, etc. The grey portable cart usually serves as my cleaning and "smithing" bench and it's easy to move out of the way or closer to my reloading bench.
                      CIMG4773.jpgCIMG4768.jpgCIMG4764.jpg

What you don't see is a pile of targets and test reports from various reloading tests - I just have not found or developed a good system for digitally (or even manually) cataloging my results for easy research. I'd like to start a thread in regards to that topic - "Organizing your reloading test results" - unless there is one here already.
                      My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Sav Shooter-- we share the same spot!

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2014

It's really not bad - easy to clean up the occasional powder spill- all hard surfaces - no rugs. And if it stays a little messy sometimes, well....it's a garage, right!! LOL

Comment

• spectra
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2014

Looks good SS and I love how those MDF shelves bow....I am in the garage also but hate to have anything out as like you said when the door is open....plus the dust is something that I hate.

Someday I will have a room dedicated to just guns

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2014

Yeah, that's a lot of weight on those shelves, LOL. I have my bulk (500 and 1000 count) pistol bullets on the bottom floor shelf in one of the tan office cabinets you see in the photo. Had to move them after those shelves came tumbling down one day. Yes, I might be accused of being one of "those guys" who hordes bullets, but they don't get stale. My garage door stays closed except for when I am doing yard work, and my wife is fastidious about keeping it swept and clean, so the dust has not been too much of a problem for me.

I used to have a dedicated gun room (actually an entire "safe room" with 1' concrete walls and floor and ceiling and steel door) in the house my ex took over. But, I am certainly planning on having a dedicated gun/reloading room again in my retirement home.

Comment

• spectra
                                Bloodstained
                                • Dec 2014

Yeah I have a cheap metal gun safe just for ammo in my garage and had to add 3/4 plywood shelves to it so it would not bow. I think it still has a little bow in it but nothing like MDF would have.....

When it comes down to my last place look out...I am a steel guy by trade and well I have built a few rooms that would be hard to get into. I also had the chance to demo a federal bank years ago that one gave me a bunch of ideas....Oh the safes they had in that place was amazing. One door was at least a foot thick and who knows the weight....they wanted us to take it out and we said not a chance. I think they had a guy tell them 10K just to get it to the street....

Comment

Working...
                                X