• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pkee
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

Hornady 140gr SP Interlock load data help

All i could find on the shelf way down south in Texas . i am hoping someone has some loading data . I will be using them as a hunting bullet .
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

What powders do you plan to use?
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• pkee
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
      What powders do you plan to use?
      I have imr 8208 , 4227 , i am picking up leverlution and what ever other power that thay have in stock . ( which won't be much ) . As far as primers i have CCI 400and 450 .

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

The LEVERevolution might be about the right speed but the powders might be a tad fast.

Other powders that might give near optimum velocities are Reloder-17. IMR 3031, Hodgdon CFE223, Accurate 4064, BL-C2, Wind 748, Accurate 2495, and Ramshot Big Game
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

Comment

• Mountain Man
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2014

I plugged that bullet @ 2.25" OAL with 22gr of 8208XBR into Quickload.

This is what it said for an 18" BBL: 1976 fps @ 37311 psi with 86% case filling

From my experience this program is pretty conservative, meaning that load is probably more like 1850-1900 fps in real life. You could probably safely start somewhere around 22gr and work up. Note: 25 gr is calculated as being OVER Max by 1000 psi so use small increments.

*Of course you are doing this at your own risk I'm just giving you the info the program gave me. *

You can probably get at least 2150 FPS depending on your barrel length. I think these bullets have a tough time expanding below 1800 FPS so you are probably talking about a projectile that won't expand much past 200 yards or so. I got a bunch of 140 noslers from a co worker for free but have been using them for subsonic loads so I would be interested to see how your load development turns out for the faster side.
          "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF? I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Comment

• pkee
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2014

Thanks guy's , i will load up some and give them a try . I will post the results . I also have some 140g A-max to load as well . The A-max will be just for plinking .

Comment

• pkee
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2014

Update ...
              I just finished loading up two test batches . One with 23g and 23.8g of 8208 xbr . If the rain lets up i will try them out tomorrow . If the range is open . I am hoping to use the range chronograph if it is working .

Comment

• Mountain Man
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2014

Sounds solid, keep an eye out for pressure as usual. I've been trying to make it a habit of worrying about my brass before I worry about the lead.

I'll stay tuned for accuracy and speed report, how far are you planning on shooting?
                "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF? I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Comment

• pkee
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2014

Range is still closed . The rain has been heave so the range is still flooded .
                  I don't plan on shooting past 300 yards . I will keep an eye on the brass .

I been reeding a lot of other older post and i am wondering if i should stick with 123g instead of 140g bullet . The penetration is what i am after . There is Nilgai in the area and thay are built like a brick house .
                  So which bullet weight would penetrate the best ?

Comment

• JASmith
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2014

140gr Lapua Naturalis
                    shootersnotes.com

-- Author Unknown

Comment

• pkee
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2014

I made it out to the range finally . Figured out that my rifle dose not like the factory 123 sst . It did like the 140gr hand loads . Was not able to shoot at 100 yards . The recent rains still had the back part of the range flooded . So 55 yards was is i had to work with . When i sited in with 123gr sst thay did not hold a tight group . I thought to myself , its an AR so i was not expecting tight groups . That was till i shot the 140gr . The groups were very close .
                      I will try to get out again this weekend to see if the 140gr will hold a good groups at 100 and 200 yards .
                      I am having trouble downloading the pictures from my phone to my computer . If someone can help me out and post them for me I can text you the pictures . (956)299-0289
                      I had a lot of fun shooting the Grendel and can't wait to get Ms. Piggy in my sights .

Comment

• lrgrendel
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2013

I have loaded the Lapua Naturalis 6.5mm x 140 gr with Varget. Shot very well. Load data was from Alexander Arms.Federal 205M primers and Lapua brass.
                        PM me if you need any.

Comment

Working...
                        X