• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Younger
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

Vihta Vouri N540 and the Grendel

I have 2 lbs of N540 from a wildcat excursion many years ago. I have found a few loads in Volume 1 & 2 of the Grendel reloading hand book as a starting point. Does anyone here have any experience with this powder? I have mostly 123 grain projectiles to work with. Thanks in advance.
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

The stuffs horrible. You should send it to me for disposal. HAHA

Where did you find it? The reason you don't see much is because it's so hard to find. I've got some 140gr bullets I'd like to try it with. Looking forward to seeing your results.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Younger
      Warrior
      • Dec 2012

There is a very old store near me that deals in large quantities of powder. They are strictly a walk in store and do not ship any powder to individuals. I purchased the N540 about 15 years ago and it was very expensive then. I may have to wait for more favorable temps to do any load testing as it is below ZERO here in NoDak.

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

Hey man did you ever try this power? I just picked up a lb and would like to give it a try.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Rainman
          Bloodstained
          • May 2015

I will also recyle it for you and pay the shipping! Have not been able to find any for the last two years so tried only a few founds in 6.5 Grendel before running out with excellent results with Nozer 120 OTs. However, it is my #1 accuracy powder for 223/5.56 69 SMK, .308 150/155/168 SMKs and .280 Remington with 140 Nosler hunting and match bullets. Good stuff and they need a larger factory.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I down loaded Vihtavuori reloading data for the 6.5 Grendel but haven't loaded any at this time. Here is a link to the data.

Comment

• dammitman
              Warrior
              • Dec 2012

Powdervalley has n540

Comment

• SDguy
                Warrior
                • Oct 2015

Have you experienced the favorable temps you were looking for yet

Originally posted by Younger View Post
                There is a very old store near me that deals in large quantities of powder. They are strictly a walk in store and do not ship any powder to individuals. I purchased the N540 about 15 years ago and it was very expensive then. I may have to wait for more favorable temps to do any load testing as it is below ZERO here in NoDak.
                If You need someone to be the gunney pig Let me know. I may not be to far from you Line up the bullets primers and the 540 and Ill let you know how she performed in a 24 in bolt action Grendel. Let me know if this fits your needs?

Comment

• am4966
                  Chieftain
                  • Jul 2014

A couple of places has the VihtaVouri N540 instock, they must of made a delivery to the masses.
                  12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                  Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                  Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Younger
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by cory View Post
                    Hey man did you ever try this power? I just picked up a lb and would like to give it a try.
                    I loaded some 120 gr Amax with 28 and 28.3 grains of N-540. My crono died so I don't have any data. Groups were around 1.5". A very stiff wind and a poor trigger did not help, horizontal strings. Brass and primers looked good. I have a new crono coming and a new trigger installed. Past experience with N-540 is that groups tighten up quickly with the proper load.

Comment

• Younger
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by SDguy View Post
                      If You need someone to be the gunney pig Let me know. I may not be to far from you Line up the bullets primers and the 540 and Ill let you know how she performed in a 24 in bolt action Grendel. Let me know if this fits your needs?
                      I live North of Aberdeen, just across the border.

Comment

• SDguy
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Younger View Post
                        I live North of Aberdeen, just across the border.
                        PM Sent

Comment

Working...
                        X