• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Big Tom Bobcat

Got this guy at 150 yards. He was gracious enough to stop about the time I had the rifle up and all the gear running. We hung him on the scale and he came in at 28 lbs. The landowner's wife called dibs on the pelt.

http://youtu.be/z3ZYGNfSk3k - video

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Adam Lilja
    Warrior
    • Dec 2013

Nice! Those pelts fetch a pretty penny.

Comment

• Younger
      Warrior
      • Dec 2012

Nice kitty......what bullet are you using?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

Hornady SST 123 gr...because I am hunting hogs, not cats. If cats were my primary target, I might find something a bit more pelt friendly.
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

Man, that is a big un. I killed an 18 pounder last year. If mine had been as big as yours, he would be at the taxidermist's.
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• wheelguner
            Warrior
            • Oct 2011

Nice cat. Everytime I see one I remember the second time I went coon hunting. My grandfather and father had been after a big ole fella they named one ear for 5yrs and he always slipped away. That old coon jumped from the tree that the dogs had him at bay onto a huge fallen log and went down into a hole on the side. Dad put one dog on the far end and another at that hole and me on the far end. I had the catch pole that night and shoved it in the end as far as I could and I hit something. Something turned out to be a bobcat and when he let out his war cry I abondoned the pole, the log and my dignity. Granddaddy said it looked like I was swimming the back stroke up the hill as fast as I could. That cat came out of the log screaming all the time and thankfully made a left turn away from me.... and I sat there too shaken to move for a while before I was willing to trust my knees to hold me. We never saw one ear again and I never poked anything into a fallen log again. I don't know if any of the horde have heard a Bobcat's war cry up close but I bet that like me you will never forget it.

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by wheelguner View Post
              Nice cat. Everytime I see one I remember the second time I went coon hunting. My grandfather and father had been after a big ole fella they named one ear for 5yrs and he always slipped away. That old coon jumped from the tree that the dogs had him at bay onto a huge fallen log and went down into a hole on the side. Dad put one dog on the far end and another at that hole and me on the far end. I had the catch pole that night and shoved it in the end as far as I could and I hit something. Something turned out to be a bobcat and when he let out his war cry I abondoned the pole, the log and my dignity. Granddaddy said it looked like I was swimming the back stroke up the hill as fast as I could. That cat came out of the log screaming all the time and thankfully made a left turn away from me.... and I sat there too shaken to move for a while before I was willing to trust my knees to hold me. We never saw one ear again and I never poked anything into a fallen log again. I don't know if any of the horde have heard a Bobcat's war cry up close but I bet that like me you will never forget it.
              My dad tells a story about a military friend of his from Detroit in the 1950's. He went home on leave and got off the bus at the station. Walked out to the curb to get a cab and set his duffel on the sidewalk. A big ol Caddy pulled up, back door swung open, arm reached out and grabbed the bag and drove off. He reported it to the police, who said, "Happens all the time, but we never seem to be in the right spot to catch him!". My dads buddy thought about it a while, and on his next trip home, he trapped a big ol Southern tom bobcat before he left. He tossed some cat food in the bottom of his duffel, and convinced the bobcat to go get it, then threw some folded towels on top and cinched it up. He got off the bus in Detroit and no one showed, so he talked with the cops and had them haul him back to the edge of town and flag down the next inbound. This time the same Caddy showed when he put the bag down, grabbed it and drove off. The car didn't make it 100 yards down the street before all the doors flew open and four guys came flying out and took off running! Wasn't hard for the cops to track them down because all four were bleeding somewhere! They told the cops that the first guy opened the bag, and the cat went nuts on him, then he managed to kick it onto the other guy in the back seat, who then got scratched and bit mulitiple times before tossing the cat into the front seat trying to get it off him, where the two guys in front then repeated the process! The talked about having the banshee from hell in there with them. None of them even realized what it was that was going buzzsaw on them and kept asking the cops what it was! No one ever saw the cat again, it must have snuck off in all the ruckus. The cops were still laughing when they returned his duffel bag, talking about banshees from hell, etc. My dads buddy just looked at them and shrugged his shoulders!

We've always been skeptical of the story, because I can't imagine a bobcat not going nuts and ripping the bag to pieces! I told it to a trapper friend and he told me that some cats calm right down when you bag them in the dark, so ...........
              Last edited by bwaites; 12-30-2014, 11:49 PM.

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                My dad tells a story about a military friend of his from Detroit. He went home on leave and got off the bus at the station. Walked out to the curb to get a cab and set his duffel on the sidewalk. A big ol Caddy pulled up, back door swung open, arm reached out and grabbed the bag and drove off. He reported it to the police, who said, "Happens all the time, but we never seem to be in the right spot to catch him!". My dads buddy thought about it a while, and on his next trip home, he trapped a big ol Southern tom bobcat before he left. He tossed some cat food in the bottom of his duffel, and convinced the bobcat to go get it, then threw some folded towels on top and cinched it up. He got off the bus in Detroit and no one showed, so he talked with the cops and had them haul him back to the edge of town and flag down the next inbound. This time the same Caddy showed when he put the bag down, grabbed it and drove off. The car didn't make it 100 yards down the street before all the doors flew open and four guys came flying out and took off running! Wasn't hard for the cops to track them down because all four were bleeding somewhere! They told the cops that the first guy opened the bag, and the cat went nuts on him, then he managed to kick it onto the other guy in the back seat, who then got scratched and bit mulitiple times before tossing the cat into the front seat trying to get it off him, where the two guys in front then repeated the process! The talked about having the banshee from hell in there with them. None of them even realized what it was that was going buzzsaw on them and kept asking the cops what it was! No one ever saw the cat again, it must have snuck off in all the ruckus. The cops were still laughing when they returned his duffel bag, talking about banshees from hell, etc. My dads buddy just looked at them and shrugged his shoulders!

We've always been skeptical of the story, because I can't imagine a bobcat not going nuts and ripping the bag to pieces! I told it to a trapper friend and he told me that some cats calm right down when you bag them in the dark, so ...........

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

Lol!

Comment

• wheelguner
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2011

I first heard this on the Neal Boortz show:

Be forewarned it is anything but PC listening

Comment

• jawbone
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2012

man, I love this thread. great stories, complete with cartoon and crank call.
                      beautiful cat, btw.

Comment

• davidj
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

I love a happy ending!
                        Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                        My dad tells a story about a military friend of his from Detroit in the 1950's. He went home on leave and got off the bus at the station. Walked out to the curb to get a cab and set his duffel on the sidewalk. A big ol Caddy pulled up, back door swung open, arm reached out and grabbed the bag and drove off. He reported it to the police, who said, "Happens all the time, but we never seem to be in the right spot to catch him!". My dads buddy thought about it a while, and on his next trip home, he trapped a big ol Southern tom bobcat before he left. He tossed some cat food in the bottom of his duffel, and convinced the bobcat to go get it, then threw some folded towels on top and cinched it up. He got off the bus in Detroit and no one showed, so he talked with the cops and had them haul him back to the edge of town and flag down the next inbound. This time the same Caddy showed when he put the bag down, grabbed it and drove off. The car didn't make it 100 yards down the street before all the doors flew open and four guys came flying out and took off running! Wasn't hard for the cops to track them down because all four were bleeding somewhere! They told the cops that the first guy opened the bag, and the cat went nuts on him, then he managed to kick it onto the other guy in the back seat, who then got scratched and bit mulitiple times before tossing the cat into the front seat trying to get it off him, where the two guys in front then repeated the process! The talked about having the banshee from hell in there with them. None of them even realized what it was that was going buzzsaw on them and kept asking the cops what it was! No one ever saw the cat again, it must have snuck off in all the ruckus. The cops were still laughing when they returned his duffel bag, talking about banshees from hell, etc. My dads buddy just looked at them and shrugged his shoulders!

Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword. You can't feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight. -The Havamal

Comment

Working...
                        X