• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Grendelized hog with 123 SSTs. First blood for the 12.5"

I did a little hunting this past weekend and scored a good meat hog. 120yds on the trot. DRT. I love hearing the WHAPP from the bullet impact, especially from a suppressed rifle.

The SST did well. Full pass through and good expansion. The entrance hole in the flesh was about 1" due to the thick hide of the hog initiating the expansion. Broke through both shoulder blades and produced a good wound channel through to the exit side. Not a whole lot of shredded meat but good hemorrhaging. The only down side was the holes in the hide were only bullet diameter and didn't produce much external bleeding but that's mostly due to the thick hide. The same shot on a white tail probably would have made a nice exit hole for a blood trail. In this case it didn't matter because he dropped in his tracks.

Attached Files
    Last edited by txgunner00; 01-02-2015, 03:04 PM.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
  • PigOPs
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2014

This is exactly what I'm building. It's a Sabre barrel right? Is it accurate enough to shoot for the ear? If you don't hit those thick boars just right in the shoulder there is hardly ever a blood trail to follow. My buddy says he has had 7mm Mag not pass through. That's why I take ear hole shots if I can take them.

Comment

• IceAxe
      Warrior
      • Jan 2014

Nice work

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Yes and no. It's a Sabre barrel blank but Mark at Precision Firearms chambered it, installed the extension and had it melonited for me. I'd say it's accurate enough. I also shot several black birds and cotton tails with it out to 80 yards or so. This guy was moving pretty fast through a herd of cattle so a head shot was not possible. I had to take my shot quick when I had a clear lane. I've never lost a hog with a good solid high shoulder hit though. The only ones I have had track have been ones I shot on the run and hit them a little far back.
        Last edited by txgunner00; 01-02-2015, 03:17 PM.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• am4966
          Chieftain
          • Jul 2014

Nice job! Oh man I'm going to be thinking about this all day. Can't wait till we get enough barrels sold for the group buy, so I can build up my 12.5" Grendel. I'm getting real close to pulling the trigger on the can Im gonna go with.
          12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
          Surge - Rugged Suppressor
          Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• PigOPs
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
            Yes and no. It's a Sabre barrel blank but Mark at Precision Firearms chambered it, installed the extension and had it melonited for me. I'd say it's accurate enough. I also shot several black birds and cotton tails with it out to 80 yards or so. This guy was moving pretty fast through a herd of cattle so a head shot was not possible. I had to take my shot quick when I had a clear lane. I've never lost a hog with a good solid high shoulder hit though. The only ones I have had track have been ones I shot on the run and hit them a little far back.
            So is yours chrome lined? I followed that story because I have one of the RedX barrels. Mine measures correctly with factory SST having .020" jump. It should be a good barrel. I'm spoiled by my 18" that is sub moa with pretty much anything I shoot through it.

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

The barrel that's on the rifle now is not chrome lined. Mark had some NOS unfinished chromoly blanks.

For those that don't know the story the first barrel I had was chrome lined but basically had no throat. I couldn't get anything to work without pressure spikes.

Comment

• Slappy
                Warrior
                • Feb 2014

Very nice, good vittles!! What type of rail are you using that allows you to have you TLR1HP down that far on the barrel?? or id there some type of an extension out that I am not aware of?? Thanks in advance. That is a very nice setup you have there. BANG BANG!!
                Last edited by Slappy; 01-02-2015, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

Thanks for sharing. I do enjoy the ballistic damage pics!
                  Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                  My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• PA_Allen
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

Great job and nice report. Hunting with a suppressed 6.5 is fun!
                    - PA

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

What a sweet little rig that is. Nice!

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        What a sweet little rig that is. Nice!

Thanks. I tried to make the pic bigger but the machine I was on wouldn't cooperate.

Comment

• txgunner00
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Slappy View Post
                          Very nice, good vittles!! What type of rail are you using that allows you to have you TLR1HP down that far on the barrel?? or id there some type of an extension out that I am not aware of?? Thanks in advance. That is a very nice setup you have there. BANG BANG!!
                          Thanks. The hand guard is a BCM KMR10 with a Thorntail keymod/1913 adapter for the light. I have the pressure switch mounted on top over the gas block. Perfect location for me. Very easy to activate at will.

You can also see the GoPro mount I have temporarily stuck on the side until I get a proper one. Unfortunately I didn't take it on this outing because I didn't think it would work well in the dark. I should have tried it anyway. Oh well. Next time.
                          Last edited by txgunner00; 01-03-2015, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X